Is McCain in the Early Stages of Dementia?

rayboyusmc

Jan 2, 2008
Florida
Mc Mumbles got the wrong man for the head of Spain. He keeps changing his idea on government regulation. He thinks he can fire the head of SEC as president. He kept repeating the selling the jet on ebay even when told it was wrong, he flip flops on things like tax exemptions for the rich, and he puts winning above picking a qualified second in command.

What Is Dementia?

Dementia is not a specific disease. It is a descriptive term for a collection of symptoms that can be caused by a number of disorders that affect the brain. People with dementia have significantly impaired intellectual functioning that interferes with normal activities and relationships. They also lose their ability to solve problems and maintain emotional control, and they may experience personality changes and behavioral problems such as agitation, delusions, and hallucinations. While memory loss is a common symptom of dementia, memory loss by itself does not mean that a person has dementia. Doctors diagnose dementia only if two or more brain functions - such as memory, language skills, perception, or cognitive skills including reasoning and judgment - are significantly impaired without loss of consciousness.

There are many disorders that can cause dementia. Some, such as AD, lead to a progressive loss of mental functions. But other types of dementia can be halted or reversed with appropriate treatment.

With AD and many other types of dementia, disease processes cause many nerve cells to stop functioning, lose connections with other neurons, and die. In contrast, normal aging does not result in the loss of large numbers of neurons in the brain.

What Are the Different Kinds of Dementia?

Dementing disorders can be classified many different ways. These classification schemes attempt to group disorders that have particular features in common, such as whether they are progressive or what parts of the brain are affected. Some frequently used classifications include the following:

Cortical dementia: dementia where the brain damage primarily affects the brain's cortex, or outer layer. Cortical dementias tend to cause problems with memory, language, thinking, and social behavior.

Subcortical dementia: dementia that affects parts of the brain below the cortex. Subcortical dementia tends to cause changes in emotions and movement in addition to problems with memory.

Progressive dementia: dementia that gets worse over time, gradually interfering with more and more cognitive abilities.

Primary dementia: dementia such as AD that does not result from any other disease.

Secondary dementia: dementia that occurs as a result of a physical disease or injury.

We know for a fact now that Reagan was already into early stages of Alzheimers during the latter part of his presidency.

What kind of medical evidence has he produced to give US more confidence in his cognitive abilities?

Honestly, when i saw that clip on the Spain leader thingy....and with him on confusing the Shia with Sunnis and alqaeda where lieberman had to step in etc, it did cross my mind that it is possible that dimentia was setting in....

it could be that he is just tired, after all even obama has made some flub ups like visiting 57 states comment....

it still is something to watch...

I didn't see the transcript on the 57 states. It is possible to visit 57 states. It just isn't 57 different states.

i think this mocking of mccain is uncalled for. I may not agree with the man but I do have respect for a man who served and was a pow. I think its full game for things we know...his comment on the economy but to say he is demented goes too far....my two cents. have some damned respect for a man who was a pow for 5 years or more.

i think this mocking of mccain is uncalled for. I may not agree with the man but I do have respect for a man who served and was a pow. I think its full game for things we know...his comment on the economy but to say he is demented goes too far....my two cents. have some damned respect for a man who was a pow for 5 years or more.

Mocking, my butt. I think it is a valid question. If we had known that Reagan would have alzheimers while in office on his second term, would we have elected him?

I can respect his previous service, but I do not have to respect his current behavior. That is bullcrap.

Mc Mumbles got the wrong man for the head of Spain. He keeps changing his idea on government regulation. He thinks he can fire the head of SEC as president. He kept repeating the selling the jet on ebay even when told it was wrong, he flip flops on things like tax exemptions for the rich, and he puts winning above picking a qualified second in command.

We know for a fact now that Reagan was already into early stages of Alzheimers during the latter part of his presidency.

What kind of medical evidence has he produced to give US more confidence in his cognitive abilities?

The spain thing sounded all the world to me like he couldn't understand the woman and was pinch hitting with generalities, which were reasonable if not taken as responses to her questions. I think he didn't understand her, maybe a combination of a thick accent and declining hearing, but not dementia. He obviously didn't understand everything she said, and I think this is being blown out of proportion.

Obama's 57 states thing was on Snopes (urban legend debunkers) and that was blown out of proportion too.

If there *is* any sign of dementia, it would be stuff like how he has rolled out several conflicting responses to the financial stuff in as many days.

I suppose it must be catching then ray, shall we review a few of Obama more notable ones?

* In front of an Audience in Alabama, he thought he was born in 1965, i.e.
March across the Bridge., His Birthday is 1961

* He thinks the Americans along with his Uncle liberated Auschwitz, Psst the Russians did.

* He thinks 10,000 people died in Kansas , when the real number was 12.

* He see's fallen Heros in the audience like last memorial day in New Mexico.

* He thinks a good reason to end the war in Iraq is free up Arab speaking Interpreters to
go to Afghanistan. One problem its a non Arabic speaking country.

* He blamed George Bush for Hugo Chavez comming to power in Venezula . Only problem there is he came to power during the Clinton Administration.

The problem with taking a gaffe and saying that is somehow shows a weakness on a subject,it does tend to make others want to highlight the other guy in the same way.

Mocking, my butt. I think it is a valid question. If we had known that Reagan would have alzheimers while in office on his second term, would we have elected him?

I can respect his previous service, but I do not have to respect his current behavior. That is bullcrap.

dementia is something that a person cannot help or control. plus fyi i never voted for reagan. wanted to clear that up real fast...

so please dont use the royal "we" when it comes to my voting for whomever.

Maybe you're right.

I suppose it must be catching then ray, shall we review a few of Obama more notable ones?

Now that is a stupid remark. It's not catching and is not normal in a person 47.

If you disagree, fine, but at least argue with a little logic, Navy.

I don't think McCain is demented but he sure has a problem keeping his thoughts straight. Depending on his mood, he seems to feel completely different about certain issues.

He does look and sound tired and worn out lately. Some people remain energetic and vital till a late age and some do not. I see indications that McCain needs to slow down.

I don't think McCain is demented but he sure has a problem keeping his thoughts straight. Depending on his mood, he seems to feel completely different about certain issues.

He does look and sound tired and worn out lately. Some people remain energetic and vital till a late age and some do not. I see indications that McCain needs to slow down.

dont confuse flip and flopping with mental disease...

Now that is a stupid remark. It's not catching and is not normal in a person 47.

If you disagree, fine, but at least argue with a little logic, Navy.

I just gave you a logical arguement based on the same facts you presented to me. As for your assertion that somehow McCain suffers from dementia based on the "Spain" gaffe and a few others.

While scientists know Alzheimer’s disease involves progressive brain cell failure, they have not yet identified any single reason why cells fail. However, they have identified certain risk factors that increase the likelihood of developing Alzheimer’s.

AGE, FAMILY HISTORY, Genetics (heredity),

Alzheimer's disease (AD), also called Alzheimer disease or simply Alzheimer's, is the most common form of dementia. This incurable, degenerative and terminal disease was first described by German psychiatrist Alois Alzheimer in 1901. Generally it is diagnosed in people over 65 years of age,[1] although the less-prevalent early-onset Alzheimer's can occur much earlier.

Alzheimer's disease - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As I stated earlier, if you want to use your theory then they both suffer from dementia. However, if you want to look it in a realistic manner, then I prefer to think that they both make these gaffes as a result of being tired from the campaign. One other note, His mother is still doing great at age 96, and his father a noted drinker and smoker, who passed away at age 70 was still working when he passed away. Your assertion that John McCain suffers from dementia is almost as crazy as mine about Obama's.

Who would you rather have as president?

The head of the Harvard Law Review or an old man who can't remember how many houses he owns?

Forum List

Back