Is Marriage Dead?

According to the US Justice Department crime statistics, domestic abuse is virtually nonexistent for married women living with their husbands. From 1993 to 2005, the number of married women victimized by their husbands ranged from 0.9 to 3.2 per 1000. Domestic violence was about 40 times more likely among divorced or separated women, ranging from 37.7 to 118.5 per 1000. Even never married women were more than twice as likely to be victims of domestic violence as married women." -- P.57-58

Domestic abuse non existant for married women? what the fuck? that cannot be true, I know plenty of married women whos husbands beat the shit out of them, guess those stats didn't get passed on to this voting poll.

How many men/women stay with their cheating spouses just for the sake of remaining married?

How many stay in a loveless marriage for the 'children?'

I have friends that have been together since high school that are still married,{and are still happy and in love! :) } other friends who stay with their cheating spouse because they have no other place to go, and no job or money, others who don't love their spouse anymore, but won't leave until the kids are grown.

I think it would be great if everyone had a happy ending, but marriage is a LOT of hard work, and those who succeed at it get a huge KUDOS from me! :thup:

The most effectual way to destroy a civilization, is to undermine the family unit and let the society collapse upon itself.

This is best achieved using a two-fold approach:

First you use economic incentives to encourage women to have children out of wedlock while undermining the economy so that the average single earner cannot easily support a child, let alone multiple children. Now you're an entire generation without proper parenting and guidance. This ensures that the youth will be diligent in following their programming in step two. Any other economic pressures you can use to prevent the family unit from forming or from spending 'quality time' together furthers the progress made in phase one.

Secondly, you use a vast machine to encourage sexual promiscuity, demonize the opposite sex and the family unit (see: Betty Friedan, Planned Parenthood, anything else Maddie ever cites), and encourage a culture of sexual openness whilst undermining traditional courtship, which once served to ensure faithfulness and commitment in a relationship. The objective is to see an entire generation which freely spreads STDs, encounters pregnancy out of wedlock very often- and can be easily taught that abortion is the easy answer, thereby helping to devalue human life and further undermine the traditional values which innumerable civilizations have been built upon, and which consciously rejects anything once deemed good in favour of the thrill of self-destruction.

Ms. Lukas says women lost the sexual revolution. In this she is incorrect. More accurately, the neofeminists and their ideological and intellectual kin [remember their roots in Marxist feminism] are succeeding in destroying the Western civilization that they view as the source of all the world's ills. They do this because it is the commandment of their neo-Marxist faith, and because the imagine a Marxian Utopia afterwards, where not only gender roles, but sex itself, labour, capitalism, and Western culture no longer exist.

Last edited:
I had to grab a poem from the Poetry thread as I posted many there on marriage, many quite good. Marriage ain't easy especially if life is too hard, but it is worth the effort. Holding granddaughter makes it even better, shame we / they grow up - and often old in thought too. Marriage will survive but it will be like all great things, rare.

'Long Marriage'

"You’re worried, so you wake her
& you talk into the dark:
Do you think I have cancer, you
say, or Were there worms
in that meat, or Do you think
our son is OK, and it’s
wonderful, really—almost
ceremonial as you feel
the vessel of your worry pass
miraculously from you to her—
Gee, the rain sounds so beautiful,
you say—I’m going back to sleep."

Gerald Fleming

Welcome to the board.

Does your view apply to those having children?

"One study that ran more than two decades found that nearly 90% of the change in violent crime rates can be attributed to the change in percentages of out-of-wedlock births. Conversely, divorce rates had no relationship with crime.

Barbara Dafoe Whitehead noted that the "relationship [between single-parent families and crime] is so strong that controlling for family configuration erases the relationship between race and crime and between low income and crime. This conclusion shows up time and again in the literature. The nation's mayors, as well as police officers, social workers, probation officers, and court officials, consistently point to family break up as the most important source of rising rates of crime."
Eric Holder's Chickens Come Home to Roost

You can still live with a woman or man if you are happy, have children and not be married. The whole attitude that you have to be married to have children is pre-historic, especially if the odds are you will end up divorced anyways.

There is nothing more atavistic than the attitude that children's welfare count of less than nothing, as long as you get what you want.

"if you are happy,..."
So, there is the escape clause?

But Americans used to be able to care about the circumstances of their children's birth...

What ever happened to the time when men were men, and adults considered the results of their actions?

"Here is the lottery ticket that single mothers are handing their innocent children by choosing to raise them without fathers: Controlling for socioeconomic status, race, and place of residence, the strongest predictor of whether a person will end up in prison is that he was raised by a single parent. By 1996, 70 percent of inmates in state juvenile detention centers serving long-term sentences were raised by single mothers. Seventy-two percent of juvenile murderers and 60 percent of rapists come from single-mother homes. Seventy percent of teenage births, dropouts, suicides, runaways, juvenile delinquents, and child murderers involve children raised by single mothers. Girls raised without fathers are more sexually promiscuous and more likely to end up divorced. A 1990 study by the Progressive Policy Institute showed that after controlling for single motherhood, the difference between black and white crime rates disappeared.

Various studies have come up with slightly different numbers, but all the figures are grim. According to the Index of Leading Cultural Indicators, children from single-parent families account for 63 percent of all youth suicides, 70 percent of all teenage pregnancies, 71 percent of all adolescent chemical/substance abuse, 80 percent of all prison inmates, and 90 percent of all homeless and runaway children.

A study cited in the Village Voice produced similar numbers. It found that children brought up in single-mother homes 'are five times more likely to commit suicide, nine times more likely to drop out of high school, 10 times more likely to abuse chemical substances, 14 times more likely to commit rape (for the boys), 20 times more likely to end up in prison, and 32 times more likely to run away from home.' Single motherhood is like a farm team for future criminals and social outcasts.

....Many of these studies, for example, are from the 1990s, when the percentage of teenagers raised by single parents was lower than it is today. In 1990, 28 percent of children under eighteen were being raised in one-parent homes (mother or father), and 71 percent were being raised in two-parent homes. By 2005, more than one-third of all babies born in the United States were illegitimate. That's a lot of social problems coming.

...Imagine an America with 70 percent fewer juvenile delinquents, 70 percent fewer teenage births, 63 to 70 percent fewer teenage suicides, and 70 percent to 90 percent fewer runaways and you will appreciate what the sainted single mothers have accomplished." -- P.37-38

"But Americans used to be able to care about the circumstances of their children's births: The illegitimacy rate has gone up by more than 300 percent since 1970. Moreover, even assuming that, sometime around the year of 1969, the entire human race lost the ability to defer gratification, there's still the wholly volitional decision not to give the baby up for adoption.

"A 2008 study led by Georgia State University economist Benjamin Scafidi found that single mothers -- unwed or divorced -- cost the US taxpayer $112 billion every year." -- P.51
"According to the US Justice Department crime statistics, domestic abuse is virtually nonexistent for married women living with their husbands. From 1993 to 2005, the number of married women victimized by their husbands ranged from 0.9 to 3.2 per 1000. Domestic violence was about 40 times more likely among divorced or separated women, ranging from 37.7 to 118.5 per 1000. Even never married women were more than twice as likely to be victims of domestic violence as married women." -- P.57-58
Bureau of Justice Statistics Intimate Partner Violence in the U.S.

"A Cornell study found that unwed mothers are 30 percent less likely to marry than other single women..." -- P.70
From “Guilty”

Hey, but as long as you're happy....

Dept. of AgitProp
APPROVED

What use is marriage in a society that does not penalize people for being sexually active? Now that DNA can designate a Daddy and most women have to work anyway......does it still have value for young people?
Dept. of AgitProp
Rejected

We regret to inform you that your submission has been rejected. It is the opinion of the Department that your submission lacks sufficient credibility and is in need of further refinement. An example acceptable-grade AgitProp for your cause might be provided for you to study, at the discretion of the Department of Agitation and Propaganda.

Sincerely,

James T. Beukema

Minister of AgitProp

Americans in general have become more selfish, which is one of the reasons the institution of marriage is a failure. I appreciate your statistics that more children that come from 2 parent homes do well but what are we supposed to do? become a theocracy like Iran and force men and women to stay married to each other? if people are not happy in a marriage it will fail and they will leave it.

"what are we supposed to do?"

While I tend to write lengthy responses, this one begs for brevity:

BE A MAN

I clicked you link, pc, and didn't see the words you quoted

The section is from Coulter's book, Guilty, and her stats have been verified as follows...

I appologize...either the site or the link has changed.

"The numbers cited by Coulter come from the Department of Justice's Bureau of Statistics report, "Intimate Partner Violence in the United States." The survey found that "on average from 2001 to 2005, both females and males who were separated or divorced had the greatest risk of nonfatal intimate partner violence while persons who were married or widowed reported the lowest risk of violence." Between 2001 and 2005, 1.2 out of 1,000 married women reported physical abuse by an "intimate partner" (in this case, their husband), versus 5.5 out of 1,000 among women who never married.
In short, Coulter cites the numbers accurately."
PolitiFact | Coulter says husbands rarely beat up their wives

Americans in general have become more selfish, which is one of the reasons the institution of marriage is a failure. I appreciate your statistics that more children that come from 2 parent homes do well but what are we supposed to do? become a theocracy like Iran and force men and women to stay married to each other? if people are not happy in a marriage it will fail and they will leave it.

BE A MAN

sexist :razz:

Marriage liscences should have to be renewed periodically by mutual consent each year just like all other liscences.

Tort reform I can go for.

What use is marriage in a society that does not penalize people for being sexually active? Now that DNA can designate a Daddy and most women have to work anyway......does it still have value for young people?

No the fags where the last nail in the coffin ..they finally get the right to marry and just as the whole institution was imploding on its self... marriage will most likely become something only fags and Christians do in near future...

So YOUR marriage will fail if gays get married?

Must not be much of a marriage, then.

Oh no not at all...they are welcome to get married as far as I am concerned
I just dont think adding the gays divorce statistic to the over-all equation will bolster the Ideal of marriage any...but for many it was on its last legs regardless...the gay folk will do it because they can..and it still has novelty and the Christians because they dont want to burn in hell

Last edited:

BE A MAN

So being a man is staying in a marriage where both parties are miserable? I fail to see what "being a man" has to do with anything? are you saying marriage is a failure because men are not taking care of their responsibilities? women are doing nothing wrong than? you can still "be a man" without getting married.

Sorry the major cause of divorce is inflation because it leads to a miscalculation of wealth and income and therefore relative fitness of a mate. Extrapolating divorce trends during a currency collapse does not work well.

Sorry the major cause of divorce is inflation because it leads to a miscalculation of wealth and income and therefore relative fitness of a mate. Extrapolating divorce trends during a currency collapse does not work well.

People tend to think money has something to do with the high divorce rates but it actually doesn't, people with higher incomes actually get divorced at higher rates than people with lesser money. Look at these people for examples, Tony Parker, Shaquille O'neal, Dwayne Wade and Mel Gibson. Very wealthy people with all the money in the world and they could not hold their marriages together, how good of a chance does an average schmoe off the streets have at succeding at marriage when these guys can't even pull it off? actually people with lesser monies stay married because alot of the times they have nowhere to go and getting divorced is expensive, so they tolerate the misery and hell and stay married.

IMO, marriage has lost its tyranny. It is not the only way any longer; there are others. I think this is a great thing, and that those who choose it will be more likely to succeed, as fewer do so from pressure by parents, etc. to conform.

Last edited:

I don't see marriage as a "use". I see marriage as a "want" The stigma of chidren without two parents is long gone. People have to want to be married.

I actually feel that marriage is a value that young people need to get a better grasp on. The youngs idea of instant gratification and nothing is not fast enough is sad. A happy marriage takes commitment from both parties involved, it is not something to stroke you vanity or play at.

I don't see marriage as a "use". I see marriage as a "want" The stigma of chidren without two parents is long gone. People have to want to be married.

I actually feel that marriage is a value that young people need to get a better grasp on. The youngs idea of instant gratification and nothing is not fast enough is sad. A happy marriage takes commitment from both parties involved, it is not something to stroke you vanity or play at.

Alot of young people in the States want to have fun and have a quality life style, you cannot do that married with several children. Being single with a job gives you the chance to have fun with little responsibility except to yourself, that all changes when you have kids and get married.

Forum List

Back