Is Lying A Crime?

You're assuming everyone in this entire world owns or has access to a computer. :)

no. I am simply saying that if you really want to know if you're being lied to, it isn't that hard to find out. Library... Borders... Barnes & Noble... cyber cafe... etc.

You don't even need that. Just a few pointed critical questions.

the average non-military person might not know what to ask. However, they should certainly be able to do a GOOGLE search on 'medal of honor recipients list'.

May have already been said....but I will say it anyway...

I believe lying to congress is a crime.
But congress lying to you is not a crime.

The ironly makes me laugh.

Its like saying..

You can lie to your boss with no negative ramifications
But if your boss lies to you, he can go to jail

The Supreme Court has a case involving a former official who lied that he was a Marine who won the Medal Of Honor. This is a prosecutable offense under the Stolen Valor Act.
Do you think sucha thing ought to be a criminal offense?
I don't think so. While someone who does that is a reprehensible piece of shit we don't need to criminalize such behavior.
Supreme Court hears military medal lying case

Yes it should be a crime.

The Medal of Honor is the highest military decoration awarded by the United States government often awarded posthumously.

Those that recieve this award have made huge sacrifices for this country and for someone to try and benefit from it should be punished.

[

Why? I agree with everything you say about MoH winners. They deserve the highest respect and thanks.
But people who falsely claim to have won it will eventually be found out and subject to public scorn. That seems like punishment enough. If we start criminalizing bad behavior there is no end to it.

And that's the rub. Where would it end?

The Supreme Court has a case involving a former official who lied that he was a Marine who won the Medal Of Honor. This is a prosecutable offense under the Stolen Valor Act.
Do you think sucha thing ought to be a criminal offense?
I don't think so. While someone who does that is a reprehensible piece of shit we don't need to criminalize such behavior.
Supreme Court hears military medal lying case

Lying is not a crime if it helps you get laid

Hey babe.......I ever tell you bout that Medal of Honor I won?

If you have to lie to get laid then you must be one ugly SOB.

Us ugly guys gotta push whatever button we can

The problem is not that the asshole lied. The problem is that people don't know how to critically think and that is why liars get away with lying.

Don't punish someone else just because you are a gullible idiot.

The only liars who should be punished are those who cause harm or use lies to commit fraud.

There are a lot of liars out there. I would bet there are people all around you who have claimed military awards they did not earn. And we've all run into those jerks who say they are a Navy SEAL. As a retired vet myself, they disgust me. But I don't believe they should be jailed, for chrissakes.

Yes but as I've pointed out those that have recieved the Medal of Honor have special benefits. So I would assume those that lie about having recieved the award would like to take full advatnage of the benefits it brings thus making the person not only guilty of lying but guilty of fraud or at the least conspiring to commit fraud.

Well, no. They cannot and did not lie to the gov't to get benefits. They lied to improve their chances at re-election, to get a job, etc. Applying for gov't benefits and making false claims is in fact a crime. This case isn't similar in any way.

You're assuming everyone in this entire world owns or has access to a computer. :)

no. I am simply saying that if you really want to know if you're being lied to, it isn't that hard to find out. Library... Borders... Barnes & Noble... cyber cafe... etc.

Please, those sources will not uncover most lies. Perhaps this particular one.

The only issue here is lies about military decorations.

The problem is not that the asshole lied. The problem is that people don't know how to critically think and that is why liars get away with lying.

Don't punish someone else just because you are a gullible idiot.

The only liars who should be punished are those who cause harm or use lies to commit fraud.

There are a lot of liars out there. I would bet there are people all around you who have claimed military awards they did not earn. And we've all run into those jerks who say they are a Navy SEAL. As a retired vet myself, they disgust me. But I don't believe they should be jailed, for chrissakes.

Yes but as I've pointed out those that have recieved the Medal of Honor have special benefits. So I would assume those that lie about having recieved the award would like to take full advatnage of the benefits it brings thus making the person not only guilty of lying but guilty of fraud or at the least conspiring to commit fraud.

Well, no. They cannot and did not lie to the gov't to get benefits. They lied to improve their chances at re-election, to get a job, etc. Applying for gov't benefits and making false claims is in fact a crime. This case isn't similar in any way.

And you know his full intent, how?

And you know his full intent, how?

You're kidding me, right? Did you read the article? Any part of it?

The issue is about lying and whether or not it should be a crime under certain circumstances.

I remind you that Martha Stewart was convicted of lying.

A Louisiana couple was sentenced for lying to police about their teen son's involvement in a shooting that killed a girl.

Casey Anthony was convicted of four counts of lying to investigators.

All these people lied in to benefit themselves in one way or another. You claim those who lie about military decorations also lie to benefit themselves. What's the difference.

Hall of Stolen Valor - Military Times

The issue is about lying and whether or not it should be a crime under certain circumstances.

A Louisiana couple was sentenced for lying to police about their teen son's involvement in a shooting that killed a girl.

All these people lied in to benefit themselves in one way or another. You claim those who lie about military decorations also lie to benefit themselves. What's the difference.

You didnt read the article. You lie. The issue is lying about military decorations. The examples you cite happened in the context of criminal investigation and/or sworn testimony.
So, fail.

You didnt read the article. You lie. The issue is lying about military decorations. The examples you cite happened in the context of criminal investigation and/or sworn testimony.
So, fail.

I addressed the lying about military decorations already. You seem to think it's perfectly ok to lie. I happen to disagree.

So, fail.

I addressed the lying about military decorations already. You seem to think it's perfectly ok to lie. I happen to disagree.

Please quote where I say it is OK to lie, you lying turd-sucker. I said no such thing.
You, otoh, appear to be OK with criminalizing sub optimum behavior. Lying? Jail time. Picking the nose? Jail time. Using the wrong fork? Jail time.

So, fail.

Please quote where I say it is OK to lie, you lying turd-sucker. I said no such thing.
You, otoh, appear to be OK with criminalizing sub optimum behavior. Lying? Jail time. Picking the nose? Jail time. Using the wrong fork? Jail time.

Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit is it?

Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit is it?

Intellect isn't yours.

You're dismissed from this conversation, Dumbo.

Forum List

Back