Is Lying A Crime?

The problem is not that the asshole lied. The problem is that people don't know how to critically think and that is why liars get away with lying.

Don't punish someone else just because you are a gullible idiot.

The only liars who should be punished are those who cause harm or use lies to commit fraud.

There are a lot of liars out there. I would bet there are people all around you who have claimed military awards they did not earn. And we've all run into those jerks who say they are a Navy SEAL. As a retired vet myself, they disgust me. But I don't believe they should be jailed, for chrissakes.

Yes but as I've pointed out those that have recieved the Medal of Honor have special benefits. So I would assume those that lie about having recieved the award would like to take full advatnage of the benefits it brings thus making the person not only guilty of lying but guilty of fraud or at the least conspiring to commit fraud.

Why go so far of topic and bring in Fox? Were they involved in this case? And why were on the subject as far as my memory goes the only prominent news outlets in trouble for lies were the ones employing Dan Rather and that lier at the NYT's who was fired for printing other peoples stories.

The difference being..FOX went to court to defend it's right to lie..the NYT and CBS fired employees who reporting news they deemed to be incorrect..and apologized for it.

No doubt liberals will defend lying. They do so much of it themselves.

Naw.

It's you guys that find no need to even defend it. Since reality is a unique concept to your fairytale constructs.

Yes you are correct I don't defend lies.

But you do and have lied. As a matter of fact you have lied in this very thread when you said what you did about Fox News.

I challenge you to find a court ruling that specifically ruled that Fox could indeed lie.

The fact is you dim-witted tool, the lawsuit wasn't about lying or not lying it was about whether or not Akres was wrongfully terminated.

An appeal was filed, and a ruling in February 2003 came down in favor of WTVT, who successfully argued that the FCC policy against falsification was not a "law, rule, or regulation", and so the whistle-blower law did not qualify as the required "law, rule, or regulation" under section 448.102 of the Florida Statutes.[8] ... Because the FCC's news distortion policy is not a "law, rule, or regulation" under section 448.102 of the Florida Statutes,[8] Akre has failed to state a claim under the whistle-blower's statute."[6] The appeal did not address any falsification claims, noting that "as a threshold matter ... Akre failed to state a claim under the whistle-blower's statute," but noted that the lower court ruled against all of Wilson's charges and all of Akre's claims with the exception of the whistleblower claim that was overturned.[6]

Like I said...fantasy land.

No but military widows should have the right to kick them in the balls on sight for the rest of their lives.

LOL , we all feel like that would be wonderful punishment.

Most people who do this kind of thing are mentally ill.

Some even think they really did.

Lying is not a crime unless it has harmed someone directly

In 2004, Martha Stewart was convicted of lying to investigators about a stock sale and served five months in a West Virginia federal prison.

Why go so far of topic and bring in Fox? Were they involved in this case? And why were on the subject as far as my memory goes the only prominent news outlets in trouble for lies were the ones employing Dan Rather and that lier at the NYT's who was fired for printing other peoples stories.

The difference being..FOX went to court to defend it's right to lie..the NYT and CBS fired employees who reporting news they deemed to be incorrect..and apologized for it.

Wrong dumbass!!

They went to court because they were being sued for wrongful termination.

Get your facts straight!!!

it's very easy to learn if someone is actually a Medal of honor recipient. The lists can be found online in about 10 seconds.

You're assuming everyone in this entire world owns or has access to a computer. :)

no. I am simply saying that if you really want to know if you're being lied to, it isn't that hard to find out. Library... Borders... Barnes & Noble... cyber cafe... etc.

Lying could be part of a crime. Let's say you lied about having a bomb in your car in order to terrorize people. The point of the case isn't about lying, it's about political and monetary gain from pretending to be a hero. Nobody thinks you should give every Vet a lie detector test but when a politician steals the honor of people who were awarded the MOH in order to get votes it is reasonable that he should be prosecuted. Why does it usually come down to left vs right? The left has no respect for tradition, honor or the US Military.

Naw.

It's you guys that find no need to even defend it. Since reality is a unique concept to your fairytale constructs.

Yes you are correct I don't defend lies.

But you do and have lied. As a matter of fact you have lied in this very thread when you said what you did about Fox News.

I challenge you to find a court ruling that specifically ruled that Fox could indeed lie.

The fact is you dim-witted tool, the lawsuit wasn't about lying or not lying it was about whether or not Akres was wrongfully terminated.

An appeal was filed, and a ruling in February 2003 came down in favor of WTVT, who successfully argued that the FCC policy against falsification was not a "law, rule, or regulation", and so the whistle-blower law did not qualify as the required "law, rule, or regulation" under section 448.102 of the Florida Statutes.[8] ... Because the FCC's news distortion policy is not a "law, rule, or regulation" under section 448.102 of the Florida Statutes,[8] Akre has failed to state a claim under the whistle-blower's statute."[6] The appeal did not address any falsification claims, noting that "as a threshold matter ... Akre failed to state a claim under the whistle-blower's statute," but noted that the lower court ruled against all of Wilson's charges and all of Akre's claims with the exception of the whistleblower claim that was overturned.[6]

Like I said...fantasy land.

:cuckoo:

it's very easy to learn if someone is actually a Medal of honor recipient. The lists can be found online in about 10 seconds.

You're assuming everyone in this entire world owns or has access to a computer. :)

no. I am simply saying that if you really want to know if you're being lied to, it isn't that hard to find out. Library... Borders... Barnes & Noble... cyber cafe... etc.

Please, those sources will not uncover most lies. Perhaps this particular one.

The Supreme Court has a case involving a former official who lied that he was a Marine who won the Medal Of Honor. This is a prosecutable offense under the Stolen Valor Act.
Do you think sucha thing ought to be a criminal offense?
I don't think so. While someone who does that is a reprehensible piece of shit we don't need to criminalize such behavior.
Supreme Court hears military medal lying case

If it is... there are some conservatives on this board that need to be arrested.

You don't even need that. Just a few pointed critical questions.

The Supreme Court has a case involving a former official who lied that he was a Marine who won the Medal Of Honor. This is a prosecutable offense under the Stolen Valor Act.
I don't think so. While someone who does that is a reprehensible piece of shit we don't need to criminalize such behavior.

Lying is not a crime if it helps you get laid

Hey babe.......I ever tell you bout that Medal of Honor I won?

Lying is not a crime if it helps you get laid

Hey babe.......I ever tell you bout that Medal of Honor I won?

If you have to lie to get laid then you must be one ugly SOB.

Forum List

Back