Is Lying A Crime?

The Rabbi

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2009
Nashville
The Supreme Court has a case involving a former official who lied that he was a Marine who won the Medal Of Honor. This is a prosecutable offense under the Stolen Valor Act.
Do you think sucha thing ought to be a criminal offense?
I don't think so. While someone who does that is a reprehensible piece of shit we don't need to criminalize such behavior.
Supreme Court hears military medal lying case

I couldnt get them to talk about this much the other day.

They have to wait to be told what to think first

The Supreme Court has a case involving a former official who lied that he was a Marine who won the Medal Of Honor. This is a prosecutable offense under the Stolen Valor Act.
I don't think so. While someone who does that is a reprehensible piece of shit we don't need to criminalize such behavior.

Yes it should be a crime.

The Medal of Honor is the highest military decoration awarded by the United States government often awarded posthumously.

Those that recieve this award have made huge sacrifices for this country and for someone to try and benefit from it should be punished.

Special Benefits for Medal of Honor Recipients
Title 38 U.S. Code, Section 560 establishes a roll designated as the "Army, Navy, Air Force and Coast Guard Medal of Honor Roll" listing the name of each surviving person who has served on active duty in the Armed Forces of the United States and has been awarded a Medal of Honor.

Title 38 U.S. Code, Section 561 provides that each person whose name is entered on the Medal of Honor Roll shall be furnished a certificate of service.

Title 38 U.S. Code, Section 562 requires the Administrator of Veterans Affairs to pay to each person whose name has been entered on the Medal of Honor Roll, a special pension of $400 per month.

Title 10 U.S. Code, Sections 4342, 6954, 9342 authorizes the appointment of children of persons who have been awarded the Medal of Honor as cadets at the U.S. Military and U.S. Air Force Academies, and midshipmen at the U.S. Naval Academy without regard to quota requirements.

Medal of Honor recipients are authorized to travel in U.S. military aircraft on a spaceavailable basis, within the Continental United States, provided they certify that the trip is not for personal gain or remuneration.

The problem is not that the asshole lied. The problem is that people don't know how to critically think and that is why liars get away with lying.

Don't punish someone else just because you are a gullible idiot.

The only liars who should be punished are those who cause harm or use lies to commit fraud.

There are a lot of liars out there. I would bet there are people all around you who have claimed military awards they did not earn. And we've all run into those jerks who say they are a Navy SEAL. As a retired vet myself, they disgust me. But I don't believe they should be jailed, for chrissakes.

Why go so far of topic and bring in Fox? Were they involved in this case? And why were on the subject as far as my memory goes the only prominent news outlets in trouble for lies were the ones employing Dan Rather and that lier at the NYT's who was fired for printing other peoples stories.

No but military widows should have the right to kick them in the balls on sight for the rest of their lives.

Yes it should be a crime.

The Medal of Honor is the highest military decoration awarded by the United States government often awarded posthumously.

Those that recieve this award have made huge sacrifices for this country and for someone to try and benefit from it should be punished.

[

Why? I agree with everything you say about MoH winners. They deserve the highest respect and thanks.
But people who falsely claim to have won it will eventually be found out and subject to public scorn. That seems like punishment enough. If we start criminalizing bad behavior there is no end to it.

The guy this Supreme Court case is about is currently serving time for fraud unrelated to his lying about being a MOH awardee.

Apparently he is a pathological liar.

No but military widows should have the right to kick them in the balls on sight for the rest of their lives.

LOL , we all feel like that would be wonderful punishment.

Most people who do this kind of thing are mentally ill.

Some even think they really did.

Lying is not a crime unless it has harmed someone directly

When does an untruth become a lie?

When the speaker of the untruth knows it is a lie.

That freedom of speech thing sure can be a pain in everybody's ass sometimes, can't it?

No doubt liberals will defend lying. They do so much of it themselves.

Naw.

It's you guys that find no need to even defend it. Since reality is a unique concept to your fairytale constructs.

Yes you are correct I don't defend lies.

But you do and have lied. As a matter of fact you have lied in this very thread when you said what you did about Fox News.

I challenge you to find a court ruling that specifically ruled that Fox could indeed lie.

The fact is you dim-witted tool, the lawsuit wasn't about lying or not lying it was about whether or not Akres was wrongfully terminated.

New Topics

Forum List

Back