Is LeBron James the GOAT?

The NBA refereeing is so bastardized that it is hard to say. It used to be about the game. Now it's about entertainment. I wonder how Gervin, English, Russell, Chamberlain, and Oscar Robertson would fare today if they had the lackadaisical rules that the superstars benefit from today.

There are a lot of things that make the game different now. The 3 point line opens up the court and so you can do more than jus dump it to a big guy. Some of the better open court players would run amuck today just as they did then.

The NBA refereeing is so bastardized that it is hard to say. It used to be about the game. Now it's about entertainment. I wonder how Gervin, English, Russell, Chamberlain, and Oscar Robertson would fare today if they had the lackadaisical rules that the superstars benefit from today.

The traveling is hard to believe
They used to call it if you nudged your foot a half an inch. Now, it is four or five steps as long as you make the basket

They used to call it if you nudged your foot a half an inch. Now, it is four or five steps as long as you make the basket

You can say that again. The NBA is like the way wrestling used to be...the superstars can do whatever they want and the scrubs have to play by the rules. I really wonder about Tim Donaghe (sp?) and his accusations about fixing games and the like. That scandal seemed to dry up awfully fast....further I recall one time when a referee named Ed Rush was caught by a microphone court side asking the score keeper "how many fouls does Shaq have" before assigning a foul on a play.

NBA conspiracy theories

You can say that again. The NBA is like the way wrestling used to be...the superstars can do whatever they want and the scrubs have to play by the rules. I really wonder about Tim Donaghe (sp?) and his accusations about fixing games and the like. That scandal seemed to dry up awfully fast....further I recall one time when a referee named Ed Rush was caught by a microphone court side asking the score keeper "how many fouls does Shaq have" before assigning a foul on a play.

NBA conspiracy theories

Stars have always gotten the calls
They rarely get called for a foul and get sent to the line for the lightest contact

Michael Jordan - Chicago Bulls - Shooting Guard
1-7.jpg

Career averages: 30.1 PPG, 6.2 RPG, 5.3 APG, 0.8 BPG, 2.3 SPG
Individual Accolades: 6-time NBA Champion (1991-1993, 1996-1998), 6-time NBA Finals MVP (1991-1993, 1996-1998), 5-time MVP (1988, 1991, 1992, 1996, 1998), 14-time All-Star selection, 11-time All-NBA selection, 1-time Defensive Player of the Year (1988), 9-time All-Defensive selection, 1985 Rookie of the Year, 10-time Scoring Champion (1987-1993, 1996-1998), 3-time Steals leader (1988, 1990, 1993)

Compare these facts to Lebrons and it's quite clear who is the greatest.

I've always been a Jordan guy, the Greatest of All Time, but not any more.

I don't think the sport has seen anything like LeBron James, and I'm not sure ANY sport has.

You usually see career records and career milestones passed as an athlete is winding down his career. Not this guy. He's still absolutely DOMINANT.

The closest team athlete I can think of is Jim Brown.

Thoughts?
If he wins a championship this year he will be the greatest. He’ll, I wouldn’t argue too hard even though I still sort of go with Jordan just because he was such a competitor I think mentally Michael would have owned lebron but damn it’s hard to say anyone was greater than lebron.

Even Jordan would have been in awe of lebron while he was beating him.

I don't think the sport has seen anything like LeBron James, and I'm not sure ANY sport has.

You usually see career records and career milestones passed as an athlete is winding down his career. Not this guy. He's still absolutely DOMINANT.

Thoughts?
If he wins a championship this year he will be the greatest. He’ll, I wouldn’t argue too hard even though I still sort of go with Jordan just because he was such a competitor I think mentally Michael would have owned lebron but damn it’s hard to say anyone was greater than lebron.

Actually it's not that hard IMO. LeBron is no Jordan. Not even close. And LeBron is great but not like that. I really think people have forgotten just how dominant Jordan truly was. He was in his 30's the same age as Lebron, his teams had 2 consecutive 70 win seasons and he averaged over 30 point per game while winning 2 championships.

He won his last title on a 70 -12 team at age 35 averaging over 30 points per game.

Last edited:
Would you rather have Durant or bird?

Without a doubt Larry Bird... With Chris Mullin sitting in reserve...

It's hard to argue against Bird, but Durant is the one I'd take and certainly before Mullin although I liked Mullin also. I really think that people need to look at the players and their games instead of overrating players just because you need something.

Thoughts?

Actually it's not that hard IMO. LeBron is no Jordan. Not even close. And LeBron is great but not like that. I really think people have forgotten just how dominant Jordan truly was. He was in his 30's the same age as Lebron, his teams had 2 consecutive 70 win seasons and he averaged over 30 point per game while winning 2 championships.

He won his last title on a 70 -12 team at age 35 averaging over 30 points per game.
So he had a better team. Lebron did everything he could last night. The cavs should be up 1 to 0.

Lebron is now the goat in my mind. He won that game last night if not for jr Smith.

Thoughts?

So he had a better team. Lebron did everything he could last night. The cavs should be up 1 to 0.

Lebron is now the goat in my mind. He won that game last night if not for jr Smith.

That's your opinion. Lebron ran players out of town so if he has to score like that and has to do everything it's his fault. But he's no Jordan. Not even close.

Thoughts?

Well, last night he scored 51 points and even though the Cavs lost he could have won an academy award. Last night he blocked D. Green, who was being pushed by another Cav, and fell to the floor as if he'd been hit by a truck; there he thrashed about on the floor as if his night on the court was surly over.

Constantly rubbing his eye, he heroically stood and walked to the free throw line and canned both shots all net. His play is mindful of Soccer, when players fall down as if they died, and a minute or two later they are sprinting to the ball.

We are here talking a lot about basketball, but we should not forget men like Gretzky, Bobby Orr, etc.. Doing all that on skates?

Thoughts?

That's your opinion. Lebron ran players out of town so if he has to score like that and has to do everything it's his fault. But he's no Jordan. Not even close.

I don't think Jordan would have done more with that team.

Thoughts?

Jordan is benefitting from his teams success.

You know who I have lost a little respecct for? Durant. He may win another championship this year but he’s not impressing me like he did last year and years before.

Thoughts?

Jordan is benefitting from his teams success.

You know who I have lost a little respecct for? Durant. He may win another championship this year but he’s not impressing me like he did last year and years before.

Lebron ran players out of town. So if he has to carry a team of scrubs it's his fault. Jordan carried the Bulls and Jordan is simply better than Lebron. All of a sudden we are going to make excuses for Lebrons team when for much of his career he's been surrounded by All stars. If Jordan played by todays rules, he'd average 50 points a game. No hand checks, no hard fouls in the lane, Jordan would have a field day.

Forum List

Back