Is Joining MENSA Worthwhile?

So I was poking around the MENSA website, and I took the practice test because it was on sale for only $1 in January. It said that I would be in the percentile to qualify for MENSA and that I should check out what scores qualifies a person to be a member. One of the scores is the AFQT. It says a score of 98 or 99 qualifies someone, but that the ASVAB doesn't count. On my military enlistment contract it list I got a 99 on the AFQT... but I thought I took the ASVAB. I'm not really sure what the difference is, but I sent it in to MENSA as my qualifying score anyway.

So my question is, other than EverCurious who says she is a MENSA member with over a 200 IQ... is anyone else a member of MENSA and is the $70 a year membership worthwhile? Does the ability to list on a resume you are a MENSA member make a difference?

you don't need a 200 IQ for mensa

"On the Culture Fair test used by British Mensa, a score of 132 places a candidate in the top two per cent of the population (the average IQ is taken as 100). On the Cattell B III, also commonly used by Mensa, a score of 148 or above would be required."

About Mensa - FAQs | British Mensa

and why would you think that poster has an IQ of 200? :rofl:

So I was poking around the MENSA website, and I took the practice test because it was on sale for only $1 in January. It said that I would be in the percentile to qualify for MENSA and that I should check out what scores qualifies a person to be a member. One of the scores is the AFQT. It says a score of 98 or 99 qualifies someone, but that the ASVAB doesn't count. On my military enlistment contract it list I got a 99 on the AFQT... but I thought I took the ASVAB. I'm not really sure what the difference is, but I sent it in to MENSA as my qualifying score anyway.

So my question is, other than EverCurious who says she is a MENSA member with over a 200 IQ... is anyone else a member of MENSA and is the $70 a year membership worthwhile? Does the ability to list on a resume you are a MENSA member make a difference?

"On the Culture Fair test used by British Mensa, a score of 132 places a candidate in the top two per cent of the population (the average IQ is taken as 100). On the Cattell B III, also commonly used by Mensa, a score of 148 or above would be required."

I never said you needed a 200 IQ to get in. EverCurious has said she has an IQ of 200. I don't believe her, but she is adamant about it.

Not worth it. I doubt anyone here's IQ is 200.

Talk to EverCurious.... she swears up and down she increased her IQ from 135 to over 200...

"Christopher Langan 195 Called "the smartest man in America"."

Highest IQ World Record

I never said you needed a 200 IQ to get in. EverCurious has said she has an IQ of 200. I don't believe her, but she is adamant about it.

i guess she can pretend. *shrug*

Forum List

Back