Is Jeff Sessions' Face Red Today?

nodoginnafight

No Party Affiliation
Dec 15, 2008
Georgia
The Republicans' top man on the Senate Judiaciary Committee lost a fight with Minnesota Democrat/Comedian Al Franken Tuesday when Franken pushed through an amendment to withold defense contracts from companies that restrict employees from taking a variety of workplace complaints to court.

The amendment passed over Sessions' objections with all Democrats and 10 Republicans supporting the measure.

MinnPost - Senate passes Franken amendment aimed at defense contractors

Ouch

Last edited:
The Republicans' top man on the Senate Judiaciary Committee lost a fight with Minnesota Democrat/Comedian Al Franken Tuesday when Franken pushed through an amendment to withold defense contracts from companies that restrict employees from taking a variety of workplace complaints to court.

The amendment passed over Sessions' objections with all Democrats and 10 Republicans supporting the measure.

Ouch

It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat. -T.R.

Al Franken: the Face of the Modern Democrat Party

stuartsmalley.jpg

Yeah, run with that

Last edited:
So, Pilgrim, the opinion you took from someone else suggests that Jeff Sessions' attempt to deny raped women access to legal redress was "daring greatly" and "spending himself on a worthy cause"?

Interesting.

And yet this "noble, valient warrior" got it handed to him by a comedian - with the help of many from his own party. Yes, Sessions' great endeavor truly was an epic quest worthy of accolade and poetry.

<snicker>

Not a big Franken fan by any means. He's mean spirited and too liberal for my own tastes - but Sessions is truly one of the most ignorant people EVER elected to public office - THIS is just one more piece of evidence that appears to support that conclusion.

And when the most junior comedian in the U.S. Senate can so easily dispatch one of the "Big Dogs" of the opposition party, you gotta worry about that opposition party.

I truly hope the GOP can rebuild and start offering more - I'll be listening if they do - but they certainly aren't going to do it on the backs of people like Jeff Sessions. That seems pretty obvious doesn't it?

Last edited:

Ouch

Not certain why Sessions would object to the amendment but I'm glad it was Franken who handed him his hat at any rate. Probably stung a little.

Gee, a Democratic-sponsored amendment passed in a Democratic-controlled committee of the Democrat controlled Senate.

And that's surprising how?
Now let's see how efficient those defense contractors can be having to deal with every lawsuit from every broad who sues because someone told a dirty joke to his buddy in the next cubicle.

While, it's my opinion that Sen. Session was wrong in this count and it's a good idea to allow DoD employee's and contractors the ability to seek redress through the courts. In fact to now allow them as citizens to seek that redress in my humble opinion would be more of a violation of the constitution than the one presented by Sen. Sessions. While I am NO fan of Sen. Franken by any stretch of the imagination here, I appluad his efforts on behalf of those employee's. The only thing I would have liked to have seen here, and given the current environment in congress that will never happen, is a "Loser Pay's" clause added to this in hopes it would discourage those people who seek to gain advantage though the legal process from doing so.

While, it's my opinion that Sen. Session was wrong in this count and it's a good idea to allow DoD employee's and contractors the ability to seek redress through the courts. In fact to now allow them as citizens to seek that redress in my humble opinion would be more of a violation of the constitution than the one presented by Sen. Sessions. While I am NO fan of Sen. Franken by any stretch of the imagination here, I appluad his efforts on behalf of those employee's. The only thing I would have liked to have seen here, and given the current environment in congress that will never happen, is a "Loser Pay's" clause added to this in hopes it would discourage those people who seek to gain advantage though the legal process from doing so.

I agree - I don't know if "loser pays" is my best option for curtailing frivilous suits because it may discourage legitimate action. But maybe in the most egregious cases the judge or jury could be given the option of applying it?
I don't know.

But I think the fact that 25% of the senators within his own party shot Sessions the bird in favor of the comedian on this one gives me great pleasure. Certainly not because I like Franken - I don't. But because I think Sessions is the absolute bottom of the barrel.

The fact that I happen to agree with the amendment is a completely different pleasure.

anything to divert attention from the impotency of one of their 'Big Dogs" against the most junior comedian in the Senate.
Or maybe to divert attention from their "Big Dog's" attempt to shield rapists from prosecution.

Close election + magically appearing non-US military Democrat votes = ACORN

Every single claim of "magically appearing votes" that the right has made about Sen. Franken has been debunked, and yet you still keep repeating it. Please feel free to provide some evidence.

Also, you clearly have no idea what ACORN does.

anything to divert attention from the impotency of one of their 'Big Dogs" against the most junior comedian in the Senate.
Or maybe to divert attention from their "Big Dog's" attempt to shield rapists from prosecution.
It would be interesting to fully understand the background behind this vote. I've been around long enough to know that sometimes these votes have a much fuller explanation than what is being handed to us from the article in the Minneapolis Post.

"The Congress should not be involved in writing or rewriting private contracts," Sessions said. "That's just not how we should handle matters in the United States Senate, certainly not without a lot of thought and care and the support of, at least the opinion of, the Department of Defense."

Last edited:

Forum List

Back