Is it wrong for Christian to preach at people who don't believe what they do?

Everyone who comes to the house, or calls, or spams the email, or advertises, wants to sell something, IMO. I don't think there IS such a thing as giving information, unless I ask where you got those nursery plants and you tell me just to be nice. But then I asked. My rule is, if I don't ask, DON'T TELL ME. This forum excepted because it's set up for discussion, of course. We're here for that.

Even the county emergency guy who robocalls about hurricanes (and bad storms, and gentle storms, and a little rain.....) ---- he's only doing it because he gets paid because the County Exec wants to get voters interested in his administration because he wants to run for governor and then President.

No, anyone who wants to push info on me, they are selling something, and it's for their own good, not mine, however often they tell you they are just trying to "help."

Took me a long time to figure that out. But eventually I get there.
There are some genuinely good people in our midst. When we turn our backs on everyone, we miss out on the good ones as well.

oh gee Meri. DAMNED WHITE OF YOU----DAMNED CHRISTIAN OF YOU.........
I wish more were like him, and less were like you.

you have no idea what I am "LIKE" idiot
You mean other than from the comments you make? Like your last one to merriweather?

Is there something about my "last comment" to Merriweather that has provided YOU with insight into "what I am like"?

There are some genuinely good people in our midst. When we turn our backs on everyone, we miss out on the good ones as well.

oh gee Meri. DAMNED WHITE OF YOU----DAMNED CHRISTIAN OF YOU.........
I wish more were like him, and less were like you.

you have no idea what I am "LIKE" idiot
You mean other than from the comments you make? Like your last one to merriweather?

Is there something about my "last comment" to Merriweather that has provided YOU with insight into "what I am like"?
Nothing that you haven't already shown before, rosie.

My granddaughter in early college has unfortunately taken up with some fundamentalist group that is running a camp where they teach these very young college students of about age 18 to run around and bend peoples' ears about Jesus and God and on and on at length.

Kind of like the schools teaching these very young students to run around and bend peoples' ears about global warming and gun control, eh?

It seems to me the height of arrogance for young people even to think they HAVE something to teach older people. And of course it's boring and incoherent because they aren't old enough to have any clue what they believe.

I know just what you mean.

The worst part is that she knows I don't want to hear that stuff -- I've told her -- but they push her to "witness" to everyone, me included, apparently. It seems wrong to me: unmannerly and just immoral behavior to push one's own religious beliefs aggressively on someone else. Especially an older relative.

I feel the same way. That pencilnecked geek David Hogg and his bald girlfriend are so tres-annoying.

Yeah, I know I have to do an assertiveness thing and tell her to stop and mean it and keep saying it till she does, or whatever happens. My responsibility is not to allow bad behavior. But it's too bad these adults running this smarmy outfit are promoting such bad and unfashionable behavior.

Indeed. Perhaps we need to wrest public education form the clutches of the Left.

Any opinions on this "witnessing" business, or advice?

Shrug.

If they block the aisles in the supermarket, step on them.
You all sleigh me ont he hole scool thing being left indoctrination that is bull shit. I had more conservative teachers than liberal. The students tend to be more liberal as do all young people. They become more conservative as they get life experience. That is the way it has worked since the begining. Teen agers and college students have rebelled from their parents from the beginning. It will never change that is nature.

Well Jesus said to teach everyone. So I don’t see a problem with it[/QUOTE

not likely]
--------only if you believe that
Jesus wrote the bible ---OT and NT and the catholic
canon
I've never understood how a people who supposed say they believe in a loving and caring God, cannot believe it is possible that God could be born into this world to testify to the truth. Do they believe it is not possible? Or is it that they they believe He doesn't love or care for us enough?

My granddaughter in early college has unfortunately taken up with some fundamentalist group that is running a camp where they teach these very young college students of about age 18 to run around and bend peoples' ears about Jesus and God and on and on at length.

It seems to me the height of arrogance for young people even to think they HAVE something to teach older people. And of course it's boring and incoherent because they aren't old enough to have any clue what they believe.

The worst part is that she knows I don't want to hear that stuff -- I've told her -- but they push her to "witness" to everyone, me included, apparently. It seems wrong to me: unmannerly and just immoral behavior to push one's own religious beliefs aggressively on someone else. Especially an older relative.

Yeah, I know I have to do an assertiveness thing and tell her to stop and mean it and keep saying it till she does, or whatever happens. My responsibility is not to allow bad behavior. But it's too bad these adults running this smarmy outfit are promoting such bad and unfashionable behavior. She'll get nothing but rejection, IMO. They make money off this: I don't know who funded her for this camp, but it wasn't me.

Your OP rings a bell. I was searching for philosophical answers when i was 18 and in college too. I saw these smiling young people who were in a religious group and checked them out; either talked with them or attended their group event.
In all cases, i was disappointed in how simplistic their thought patterns were. After trying some intellectual discourse, i gave up, and continue thinking for myself, based on common sense & experiences.

In answer to your OP question, i say YES ... after the preacher has been notified that you have your own ideas that you are comfortable with.

Yeah, I know I have to do an assertiveness thing and tell her to stop and mean it and keep saying it till she does, or whatever happens. My responsibility is not to allow bad behavior. But it's too bad these adults running this smarmy outfit are promoting such bad and unfashionable behavior. She'll get nothing but rejection, IMO. They make money off this: I don't know who funded her for this camp, but it wasn't me.

So what? Your screed seems "wrong" to me. What are you, a control freak?

New Topics

Forum List

Back