Is it time to legalize pot and reduce the death rate of tobacco and alcohol?

Has anyone ever gotten into a car accident when the one for the road was a Marlboro?

Can you have a cigarette and then fly a plane? Can you get high on pot and fly a plane?

So it's safe to say that you also want to bring prohibition back? Since you can't fly or drive after drinking, might as well make all alcohol illegal.

Let's put government over personal responsibility, then after we do that, pretend we're still conservative. It's my favorite game!

You addressed tobacco, not alcohol. First you say what do you think tobacco is and when your fallacy was pointed out, changed it to alcohol. We don't let people drink and drive, nor drink and fly planes. Do you think we will prohibit smoking pot and driving? Or, smoking pot and flying a plane? There are school bus drivers smoking on the job! There are train engineers smoking pot on the train, and crashing those trains.

Legalize ALL drugs and make it so low cost that it is affordable to anyone who wants to use whatever kind they want to use.

I used to be against drug legalization but no more. Drug use is self limiting. Users tend to die young. A cop friend pointed that out to me. He noticed that most deaths among young adults was drug related. It's a way to humanely eliminate the drug user problem. Not the drug problem, but the drug user problem.

I didn't say a word about tobacco.

Yes i think pot should be handled like drinking. Make pot legal, and continue with the law that it's illegal to drive while high.

Drug use is awful, doesn't mean we should tax people's brains out and throw non-violent users in jail in order to keep a huge gov't program running.

And, once again, making drugs legal in no way makes them more available to kids. Hence why i keep having to repeat myself over and over again to open you people's eyes on how much easier it is for kids to get weed than alcohol. It's not even close.

Is it time to legalize pot and reduce the death rate of tobacco and alcohol?

I don't think we should legalize pot based on the reasoning that it will reduce tobacco/alcohol deaths, BUT I think we should legalize it because I fail to see the value in using billions of dollars from our taxes each year to "protect" us from a substance that:

(1) is non-addictive (or at least much less addictive than alcohol/tobacco - both of which are legal),

(2) you can't overdose on, period.

(3) makes people calm, complacent and reflective when they smoke it.

What is the government "protecting" me from exactly? Why is it worth this price tag? I understand the argument that Pot can impair your judgement and motor activities, but so does alcohol. And a big difference between the two (alchohol, pot) is that with alcohol, your impaired judgement also comes along with aggressive action (you are fearless), where as it's quite the opposite with pot.

We're wasting tax money, in my opinion. There's just not enough pros or reasons to keep pot criminalized. I'm sick of giving these gangs/cartels more power than they deserve.

:clap2:

Well put reasoning.

Regards
DL

Proof? Evidence?

There is no logical reason to expect legalizing pot to effect either. There is no causal connection between the legal status of pot, with people's choices to use tobacco or alcohol. Just because someone, for example, drinks alcohol, does not in any way necessitate nor imply that legalizing pot will induce them to stop drinking. When was the last time you heard someone say "Well, pot's illegal so I guess I'll just have a beer"?

Since pot impairs judgment to begin with, someone smoking and drinking won't even be able to judge how drunk they are. That's probably why we need to have some laws protecting the public. Other than that, let them go.

The cartels have it well under control by targeting one another's customers. We haven't taken almost 50,000 users and dealers permanently off the streets, they have. Legalize drugs and give them a target rich environment to work with.

:lol::lol::lol:

As though just alcohol isn't enough to make someone unable to judge how drunk they are. :tongue:

OK so you weren't making a point at all, just sharing. Thanks. Sorry for confusing you with a sentient person.

You fit perfectly into the block of people who have absolutely no clue what's going on in the real world.

Getting drugs in a regulated environment where ID's are checked, limits can be put on what's sold, and money goes into the american economy. AAAAAAAHHHHHHHH THE HORROR OF IT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Getting drugs from gang banger, who got his drugs from a terrorist, who got his drugs from a drug lord. YAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hysteria adds very little to the debate/discussion.
Yeah.....we need to put more effort into maintaining all those ol'-timey Absolutes, like....Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, marijuana is dangerous & there's really, really, really IS an after-Life.

handjob.gif

I want to see pot legal, right along with any right of self protection that the non impaired public has available to them.

Kids can get pot now, very easily, so pot should be made available to children too. With any luck at all they will move on to equally as available other drugs as they get older.

Drug use is self limiting. They younger drug users start the younger they will be when they finally remove themselves. Eventually the incidence will be less and less through attrition.

Has anyone ever gotten into a car accident when the one for the road was a Marlboro?

Can you have a cigarette and then fly a plane? Can you get high on pot and fly a plane?

So it's safe to say that you also want to bring prohibition back? Since you can't fly or drive after drinking, might as well make all alcohol illegal.

Let's put government over personal responsibility, then after we do that, pretend we're still conservative. It's my favorite game!

You addressed tobacco, not alcohol. First you say what do you think tobacco is and when your fallacy was pointed out, changed it to alcohol. We don't let people drink and drive, nor drink and fly planes. Do you think we will prohibit smoking pot and driving? Or, smoking pot and flying a plane? There are school bus drivers smoking on the job! There are train engineers smoking pot on the train, and crashing those trains.

Legalize ALL drugs and make it so low cost that it is affordable to anyone who wants to use whatever kind they want to use.

I used to be against drug legalization but no more. Drug use is self limiting. Users tend to die young. A cop friend pointed that out to me. He noticed that most deaths among young adults was drug related. It's a way to humanely eliminate the drug user problem. Not the drug problem, but the drug user problem.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....a cop friend! I was wondering where all that (other) bullshit was coming-from. I guess everyone's gotta try to generate as much job-security as they can manage....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Twre6ItGEI]Dragnet Jack Webb "Alcohol VS. Marijuana & LSD" Great Speech - YouTube[/ame]

Then, ya' got REALITY!!!!!

CopsSayLegalizeDrugs's Channel - YouTube

Last edited:
I want to see pot legal, right along with any right of self protection that the non impaired public has available to them.

Kids can get pot now, very easily, so pot should be made available to children too. With any luck at all they will move on to equally as available other drugs as they get older.

Drug use is self limiting. They younger drug users start the younger they will be when they finally remove themselves. Eventually the incidence will be less and less through attrition.

Pot is already fully available to kids, you should start advocating a policy that makes it less available to kids.

I've never seen anyone need to do anything to defend themself from a person high on marijuana. However bar fights by idiots with beer muscles, that's very common place.

Drug use is awful, doesn't mean we should tax people's brains out and throw non-violent users in jail in order to keep a huge gov't program running.

And, once again, making drugs legal in no way makes them more available to kids. Hence why i keep having to repeat myself over and over again to open you people's eyes on how much easier it is for kids to get weed than alcohol. It's not even close.

Good points!

People often use the argument "what good would pot legalization do"? That’s the wrong approach. The question should instead be: is it worth spending billions and billions of dollars a year policing something that is much less harmful than many drugs that are legal today? What am I getting out of it? I'd argue almost nothing + some very bad side effects, like giving additional power and leverage to the street gangs and the head cartels.

Also, agree that it’s much easier to get illegal marijuana than legal alcohol as a child. This is for the simple reason that virtually every single alcohol dealer requires you to present ID, and will try their best (usually) to make sure they don't sell to underage people for fear that their business will be adversely impacted. Sure you can get a fake, or get someone's older brother or whatever to buy it, but it's always easier buying it yourself.

With pot, you buy from someone who does not check ID, and does not care how old you are.

Last edited:
Actually the question is what does drug use do to our society? Is it good or bad?
The obvious answer is bad. So if we want to tackle the issue we need to adopt some time tested solutions.
Rounding up drug dealers and executing them after a fair trial sounds pretty reasonable to me. The risk of engaging in that business far exceeds the reward for most people. Ergo they'll largely stop.

Proof? Evidence?

There is no logical reason to expect legalizing pot to effect either. There is no causal connection between the legal status of pot, with people's choices to use tobacco or alcohol. Just because someone, for example, drinks alcohol, does not in any way necessitate nor imply that legalizing pot will induce them to stop drinking. When was the last time you heard someone say "Well, pot's illegal so I guess I'll just have a beer"?

Since pot impairs judgment to begin with, someone smoking and drinking won't even be able to judge how drunk they are.
Run-along, Skippy.

It's pretty, damned obvious you're experienced at neither.

:bs1:

Since pot impairs judgment to begin with, someone smoking and drinking won't even be able to judge how drunk they are.
Run-along, Skippy.

It's pretty, damned obvious you're experienced at neither.

:bs1:

S0n, your posts are Exhibit Number One of the need to ban mind altering drugs.

Answering to the OP directly, no it is not. None of it should be legal. Here's why in my own opinion;

I smoke and love it and its wonderful and I am 59 and no errors as of yet. I have never used drugs and do not drink, ever. Never developed a taste for it, as most males in our culture here in the USA love beer at least, though I cook with it with my myriad of Mexican recipes.

Down home in the Yucatan, tobacco is organic and I get it from there and have it shipped to me here in NM, and it is just cut and cured from the fields and then sold in bulk at the local vendor level, ASAP. It's cheap and delicious. Drugs there are a non issue. Beer is a mainstay there for cooking and is also organic. If you type in to find out any incidences of abuse for same, drugs, et al, there is little to none.

Drugs and alcohol abuse and obesity is an American problem per se.

Just some other input along with the American issue with same.

Robert

You claim to not do drugs? What do you think tobacco is anyway?

So are you saying becuase tobacco doesn't cause traffic death via car accidents it's not an addictive drug that harms the human body?

Yes and Yes.

Actually the question is what does drug use do to our society? Is it good or bad?
The obvious answer is bad. So if we want to tackle the issue we need to adopt some time tested solutions.
Rounding up drug dealers and executing them after a fair trial sounds pretty reasonable to me. The risk of engaging in that business far exceeds the reward for most people. Ergo they'll largely stop.

What do you think the proper response would be to someone running a stop sign?

You have something non-lethal, like marijuana, that someone should be killed for having it and intending to distribute.

What about running a stop sign, something far more lethal than weed, what should be done then? Execute the person and his/her family?

You fit perfectly into the block of people who have absolutely no clue what's going on in the real world.

Getting drugs in a regulated environment where ID's are checked, limits can be put on what's sold, and money goes into the american economy. AAAAAAAHHHHHHHH THE HORROR OF IT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Getting drugs from gang banger, who got his drugs from a terrorist, who got his drugs from a drug lord. YAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hysteria adds very little to the debate/discussion. It's obvious you bring little to the table but uninformed opinions and biases.

I wish you didn't get personally offended everytime someone says something other than "Hail Obama!"

I bashed him earlier in the thread, since he's so overwhelmingly pro-Drug War.....
Please!!

He's no more "pro-Drug-War" than any other politician who's trying to maintain their present-status.

The difference, is....he's only got 8 years to do what he can....and, everyone else is fighting for that job, as well.

Who KNOWS what he'll do, in Year Eight??!!!

Last edited:

I think that argument of yours can be applied to Heroin, Crack, Cocaine, Meth (all four highly addictive, all four have noticeably worse degenerative effects on the body, all four you can overdose and die from, all four not created from a single organic entity but instead a huge list of carcinogens) but why do you think it applies to pot?

I’d like to know why you think criminalizing pot is worth spending billions and billions and billions of dollars on each year, worth throwing people in jail for (which I have to pay for out of my paycheck), and worth the real side effect of giving street gangs and cartels leverage and power...

I fail to see why the dangers of pot outweigh all of those things. Doctors prescribe the darn thing to cancer patients, and patients with chronic pain; how dangerous can it be? There’s a reason doctors don’t prescribe crack to people with liver cancer.

Good points!

People often use the argument "what good would pot legalization do"? That’s the wrong approach. The question should instead be: is it worth spending billions and billions of dollars a year policing something that is much less harmful than many drugs that are legal today?
The folks who see major investment-opportunities in the private-prison industry seem to think so.​

So it should be pretty easy to find the CEO of Phillip Morris, Lorillard, R.J Reynolds, etc and after the victims of their products or surviving family members testify, should they be put to sleep with the needle or suffer the indignity of a public hanging?

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....a cop friend! I was wondering where all that (other) bullshit was coming-from. I guess everyone's gotta try to generate as much job-security as they can manage....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Twre6ItGEI]Dragnet Jack Webb "Alcohol VS. Marijuana & LSD" Great Speech - YouTube[/ame]

Then, ya' got REALITY!!!!!

CopsSayLegalizeDrugs's Channel - YouTube

My friend has been retired for a number of years. So there's no job security. My observations of drug users were in connection with the cases I handled for them, and the nonsense called diversion imposed by the courts. My friend pointed out that the majority of drug related deaths he came in contact with were of young adults. Celebrity deaths of young stars are decidedly drug related. Whitney Houston was 48 when she drank and drugged herself to death and that was pretty old considering most of these young stars die at around 29.

Seems like the job security is at the coroner's office and funeral parlors.

I seldom come across druggies anymore. My area is now more toward international business relationships. Mostly Chinese and middle eastern. They are all for legalization of drugs. Their reasons are much the same. Drug use promotes early death among foolish Americans. That's why the Chinese say "We are for drug legalization, for you, not for us." For Americans that is.

There is no way we can stop the use of illegal drugs. The only way, really, is to convince people to make the choice not to use. Legalize drugs and some will choose to use and some will choose not to use. The ones who choose not to use will survive, the ones who choose to use will die young.

It seems logically, that drug use should be legalized and so cheap it puts the cartels into stealing laundry detergent instead.

Forum List

Back