Is it time to do the mature thing?

G84 is, specifically, a more intelligent troll. She attempts to use the Socratic Method to get her point across through questions and illogical assertions that take the extreme.

Stuff like, "We should kill all Catholic Priests then?"

Attempting to make you defend your position from a point that is indefensible, she is just WAAAAAY less subtle than the Socratic Dialogues were.

She attempts to fumble around in your brain with psychology but her heavy-handedness makes it obvious, that and the outright refusal to substantiate even one little point with a back-up article.

While her insults are relatively harmless, even sometimes enjoyable, what really makes her different than other types of trolls? She uses the regular Lefty whinefest to preempt any banning and to make it seem that if you did ban her then you are banning her for her opinion and not her action. And she also attempts to make us responsible for her behavior by using the regular, "Well, he insulted first!" childish argument.

If you judge her to be a troll, give her chances to substantiate, if she will not or if you find her not posting links to copyrighted material then ban her just as you would any other person not following the rules. You cannot let her "pre-emptive whine" get the better of you, if you break the rules you must pay just like everybody else.

jimnyc said:
I think she contributes complete garbage, but I think that about almost every liberal that comes here. What makes her equal is that she registered to the USMB under the belief that we encourage and believe in free speech. Believe me, with the headaches I'm getting from this issue it would be so much easier to ban her and be done with it. For once I'm trying to be an innocent outsider looking in, and based on that I don't see her doing anything to warrant a ban.

Which is why I had suggested earlier to ignore her compeltely as she is only doing what she does for attention. Said is 100% correct.... If no one gives her what she wants she will go away I think, hopefully, maybe???

musicman said:
For whatever it's worth, Jim, I think that whoever is complaining to you about USMB being some kind of back-slapping "amen corner" is full of shit. Look at the people - who could be called, to some degree, liberals - who manage to stay on here. Right off the top of my head, I can name Bullypulpit, acludem, Missle Man, and deaddude - that's a combined five years of membership, easily, right there. And, even members who agree on 80% of things manage somehow to find that 20% sometimes, and disagree - hotly. It's not the content of the posts so much as it is the attitude of the member. I think, for example, that Bullypulpit has gotta be from Mars or something. But, he never fails to conduct himself like a gentleman. I've never seen anything even close to rudeness from WJ. Intelligent, well-mannered people seem to be able to stay on, regardless of their views. I'm convinced that a member who behaves like an acceptable human being will find, by and large, that he or she is welcome here.

USMB is a human enterprise, Jim, and - as such - it will always find that perfection eludes its grasp. But I think y'all have done a pretty damn good job here. Maybe you should ask yourself if the naysayers have the best interests of the USMB at heart.

Jim is in a vicarious position of staying above the fray while managing to be fair to everyone, not an easy task especially lately. I think you and the others on this board that matter recognize that. :beer:

OCA said:
I've been thinking the same thing for weeks about G84 now and a LONG TIME about Bully, these two just say or post what they do for pure reaction, nothing more. Notice how many of G84's threads have her as the main subject, she's starving for attention. Ignore her and to a lesser extent Bully and these types will die from starvation or hang theirselves.
well we can only hope anyway

Personally, I've been holding back saying much about Gabby. I don't think she is all that bad, in the sense that she has stopped posting articles without attribution, she has 'mostly' stopped flamming, and she adds some spice.

With that said, something has been happening around here that isn't so good. Seems that cliques are forming with some 'in' and some 'out.' Sure we all have people we are closer to or agree with or like more than others, but many of these are people that have been able to get along on a board for a long time. It appears that some are acting in 'concert' with others, meaning they are ignoring some posters, even when what has been posted could be a true means for discussion.

There is no doubt that long time members set the tone. The trolls and flammers come and go, some settle in, which I think Bully is certainly one who has. Spilly, too to my personal confoundment. :chains: :laugh: It seems to me if you find yourself with many posters on 'ignore', even mentally, it's time to rethink what we all came here for-discussion. I personally was not and am not looking for an echo chamber.

That said, sometimes for one reason or another, there is someone you cannot abide. Then for heaven's sake, put them on ignore. If you choose not to, try typing and 'previewing'-which is your friend. Edit or delete if you think the tone is 'over the top.' If someone offends you, try ignoring it before going over the top or getting abusive in pm's. It maybe that there is a miscommunication problem going on.

Well, I guess that's my thoughts for now. I suggest everyone take a look at Free's post, on a 'perfect message board.' No such animal exists, but their can be a goal that we work for.

Kathianne said:
Personally, I've been holding back saying much about Gabby. I don't think she is all that bad, in the sense that she has stopped posting articles without attribution, she has 'mostly' stopped flamming, and she adds some spice.

With that said, something has been happening around here that isn't so good. Seems that cliques are forming with some 'in' and some 'out.' Sure we all have people we are closer to or agree with or like more than others, but many of these are people that have been able to get along on a board for a long time. It appears that some are acting in 'concert' with others, meaning they are ignoring some posters, even when what has been posted could be a true means for discussion.

There is no doubt that long time members set the tone. The trolls and flammers come and go, some settle in, which I think Bully is certainly one who has. Spilly, too to my personal confoundment. :chains: :laugh: It seems to me if you find yourself with many posters on 'ignore', even mentally, it's time to rethink what we all came here for-discussion. I personally was not and am not looking for an echo chamber.

That said, sometimes for one reason or another, there is someone you cannot abide. Then for heaven's sake, put them on ignore. If you choose not to, try typing and 'previewing'-which is your friend. Edit or delete if you think the tone is 'over the top.' If someone offends you, try ignoring it before going over the top or getting abusive in pm's. It maybe that there is a miscommunication problem going on.

Well, I guess that's my thoughts for now. I suggest everyone take a look at Free's post, on a 'perfect message board.' No such animal exists, but their can be a goal that we work for.

I think it's pretty natural for folks to find themselves agreeing with different groups of people on different issues. Is that what you call that acting in "concert"?

dilloduck said:
I think it's pretty natural for folks to find themselves agreeing with different groups of people on different issues. Is that what you call that acting in "concert"?

Why doesn't it surprise me that you would be the one responding? Whatever. Of course people are going to agree on certain issues, no surprise there. What is unexpected is the concerts across the spectrums. Probably over your head Dillo. Never mind.

Kathianne said:
Why doesn't it surprise me that you would be the one responding? Whatever. Of course people are going to agree on certain issues, no surprise there. What is unexpected is the concerts across the spectrums. Probably over your head Dillo. Never mind.

I have no idea--you'll have to give yourself an answer to that one. If there are concerts going on across the spectrum and that is against the rules, I assume we can expect the mods to deal with it? Please stop the condescending crap K.

Kathianne said:

Listen--if there is some kind of illegal collusion going on, why is it posted here??? Isn't this stuff supposed to be handled by the ADMIN ? If we aren't mods we can't do anything about it anyway. The whole message regarding the "ignore" issue could have been posted for everyone in an open forum, could it not? ( exactly who IS ADMIN anyway?) the PM has gotta go somewhere.

dilloduck said:
Listen--if there is some kind of illegal collusion going on, why is it posted here??? Isn't this stuff supposed to be handled by the ADMIN ? If we aren't mods we can't do anything about it anyway. The whole message regarding the "ignore" issue could have been posted for everyone in an open forum, could it not? ( exactly who IS ADMIN anyway?) the PM has gotta go somewhere.

Re-reading the post, I think she was talking about some members that I have seen lobbying others to "ignore" certain members, not direct, behind the scenes, collusion but rather open lobbying.

no1tovote4 said:
Re-reading the post, I think she was talking about some members that I have seen lobbying others to "ignore" certain members, not direct, behind the scenes, collusion but rather open lobbying.

Whatever---I'm lost---just trying to help but it might be better to just stay out of it. I trust that whoever can work out whatever themselves.

dilloduck said:

To answer your question (as the thread starter) no, I did not feel it was appropriate to start a thread in the open chat forum regarding Gabby considering the nature of her participation on this board. Since most regular posters have access to this forum, I didn't think it was done in secret or in a "behind everyone's back" sort of way (to a large extent) by starting the thread here. I did not want to turn it into a flame thread, I just wanted to state my opinion, and make a suggestion. I also wouldn't consider it lobbying, if it seems that way, that wasn't my intent either.

no1tovote4 said:

Thank you No1.

Said1 said:
To answer your question (as the thread starter) no, I did not feel it was appropriate to start a thread in the open chat forum regarding Gabby considering the nature of her participation on this board. Since most regular posters have access to this forum, I didn't think it was done in secret or in a "behind everyone's back" sort of way (to a large extent) by starting the thread here. I did not want to turn it into a flame thread, I just wanted to state my opinion, and make a suggestion. I also wouldn't consider it lobbying, if it seems that way, that wasn't my intent either.

That's how I took it Said1. I was not speaking of anything "illegal" or whatever adjective was used. As No1 said, there has appeared to be some 'ganging up' of a mild sort for the most part, that seems to have many on edge.

I think the original post was a good way of perhaps some of us waking up to how there is a 'tone' to posting.

Kathianne said:
That's how I took it Said1. I was not speaking of anything "illegal" or whatever adjective was used. As No1 said, there has appeared to be some 'ganging up' of a mild sort for the most part, that seems to have many on edge.

I think the original post was a good way of perhaps some of us waking up to how there is a 'tone' to posting.

I can't stand it anymore----I did everything!!!!!

punish me--I'm not worthy!!!

Forum List

Back