Is it safe?

I didn't know you were having computer problems though I doubt viruses were your only issue, from the way you're "talking" you probably never did routine maintenance.
What gobbltiegook is on your new one? Norton? McAfee? Widows Defender?
I'm assuming it has Windows 7 on it so ya have a bit of a learning curve if you're upgrading from XP.

By the way changing you screen saver and the activation time is very easy.

Goobltiegook????????
Oh hot damn, I haven't heard that in a long while, much less ever seen it spelled out!!!!
Love it :lol:

Gobbledegoop, woman. Not goobltiegook. you got your thingamabob discomboobulated with what I was saying.:tongue:

Ringle, I got free anti virus with my pc...for 6 months. Yes, windows 7. whatever else is in this thing is way over my head. I only use it for socializing and playing with graphics. My pc was about 6 or 7 years old...and yes, i took care of it. I was in here when the place fell apart with people doing nasties. So whatever that person planted, it wormed its way in my pc and I didn't have protection. My bad. But I do now.

More than likely it's Norton. Norton is one of the top anti-virus programs available but I hate it because it's so huge, intrusive and such a resource hog.
As for your desktop personalization it's simple. Right click anywhere on the the desktop (not on an icon) and select personalize at the bottom of the pop up screen. At the bottom of the next scree that pops up you'll see screen saver unfortunately Starfield isn't there any longer.
You can also change your themes and desktop background from there, it's all laid out in a simple format.
As for maintenance did you ever go to the search box, type in: %TEMP%, select all and delete? Probably not and that file can get gigantic, slowing a computer down by half as the process searches though these unnecessary files when performing any function. For some reason the "clear temp files" in the user maintenance field doesn't seem to delete these.
When I was first told about this procedure my computer at the time was 4 years old and I had almost 4000 temp files in there. Took me 2 hours to clean it out and when I was finished my system ran like it was new.

Goobltiegook????????
Oh hot damn, I haven't heard that in a long while, much less ever seen it spelled out!!!!
Love it :lol:

Gobbledegoop, woman. Not goobltiegook. you got your thingamabob discomboobulated with what I was saying.:tongue:

Ringle, I got free anti virus with my pc...for 6 months. Yes, windows 7. whatever else is in this thing is way over my head. I only use it for socializing and playing with graphics. My pc was about 6 or 7 years old...and yes, i took care of it. I was in here when the place fell apart with people doing nasties. So whatever that person planted, it wormed its way in my pc and I didn't have protection. My bad. But I do now.

More than likely it's Norton. Norton is one of the top anti-virus programs available but I hate it because it's so huge, intrusive and such a resource hog.
As for your desktop personalization it's simple. Right click anywhere on the the desktop (not on an icon) and select personalize at the bottom of the pop up screen. At the bottom of the next scree that pops up you'll see screen saver unfortunately Starfield isn't there any longer.
You can also change your themes and desktop background from there, it's all laid out in a simple format.
As for maintenance did you ever go to the search box, type in: %TEMP%, select all and delete? Probably not and that file can get gigantic, slowing a computer down by half as the process searches though these unnecessary files when performing any function. For some reason the "clear temp files" in the user maintenance field doesn't seem to delete these.
When I was first told about this procedure my computer at the time was 4 years old and I had almost 4000 temp files in there. Took me 2 hours to clean it out and when I was finished my system ran like it was new.

Hey is that %TEMP% just a Windows 7 thing? I just did that (didn't delete, just typed it in the start menu) and it said it was created on 5/13/11. Hmmm, our computer is two years old and it just created it? It was a folder and said it had 24mb in it and none of the things in it looked like temp files.

Hey is that %TEMP% just a Windows 7 thing? I just did that (didn't delete, just typed it in the start menu) and it said it was created on 5/13/11. Hmmm, our computer is two years old and it just created it? It was a folder and said it had 24mb in it and none of the things in it looked like temp files.

No, I first used it in Win 2000. Oh and some will be temporary swap files and other temp processes some will actually be in use and you will not be able to delete them. How many files does it say is in there.

No, I first used it in Win 2000. Oh and some will be temporary swap files and other temp processes some will actually be in use and you will not be able to delete them. How many files does it say is in there.

There's 11 folders and 13 'documents' (?), 24 items total. One or two are anycolor (from firefox), there's a few java some picasa (photo editing) and other stuff I don't know what.

There's 11 folders and 13 'documents' (?), 24 items total. One or two are anycolor (from firefox), there's a few java some picasa (photo editing) and other stuff I don't know what.

You may have a lot more than that.
Click on the option to "view hidden files/folders".
Whalaa.

One of these days I am going to figure out how to bring Linux to the masses.
If I could have just 3-4 minutes of anyone's time and show them how easy the system is - and how it is impervious to virus/spyware...I will - every time - convert said person away from Winblows hell.

Or are there still shark fins circling around this joint?

(Couldn't get rid of the virus...so had to go buy a new pc. This one is loaded with anti virus do-hickey thingies).

A NEW PC?

What do you do when your car needs an oil change?

Buy a new car???

If you wanted to go that far..you could have just reloaded the operating system and bought anti-virus programs.

Would have run you far less.

If I could have just 3-4 minutes of anyone's time and show them how easy the system is - and how it is impervious to virus/spyware...I will - every time - convert said person away from Winblows hell.

It's not impervious to spyware or viruses. It's just if you have a good deal of knowledge about Linux..it's a little easier to catch.

If Linux was the OS that everyone used..you can better your bottom dollar there would be far more viruses and spyware written for it.

It's not impervious to spyware or viruses. It's just if you have a good deal of knowledge about Linux..it's a little easier to catch.

If Linux was the OS that everyone used..you can better your bottom dollar there would be far more viruses and spyware written for it.

Of course - however the design of Linux, how it incubates the system away from general files as well as superior permission settings - it is harder to write a virus for Linux than a PC.
At the same time, Linux does not slow with age like Windows does. It has been proven over and over and over that Windows deteriorates over time. It clogs itself up, it requires massive memory killing virus protection, it's system of allocating memory has remained virtually unchanged in 11 years.
I could of course go on for ages.
Linux is superior to Windows...it is inarguable.

That's not bad but it is a brand new computer. I wouldn't worry about it right now. As a matter of fact try using the disc maintenance feature first found in, Control Panel - Performance Information and Tools then on the far left of the window, Open Disc Cleanup then run disc cleanup. See if that removes all the files.

You may have a lot more than that.
Click on the option to "view hidden files/folders".
Whalaa.

Hmmm, I don't the option to 'view hidden files/folders'. Could be I just need another cup of joe, though. ;)

That's not bad but it is a brand new computer. I wouldn't worry about it right now. As a matter of fact try using the disc maintenance feature first found in, Control Panel - Performance Information and Tools then on the far left of the window, Open Disc Cleanup then run disc cleanup. See if that removes all the files.

Danke!

Forum List

Back