Is it reality or is it Memorex? -Reality shows

whitehall

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2010
Western Va.
I confess that I like most of the "reality shows" that are popping up like mushrooms in a field of compost. The American Pickers was a surprise hit with a quirky team cruising the countryside looking for collectible gems. The tattooed babe isn't bad either. I had no idea that bidding on abandoned storage units was an industry. They started out with "storage wars" featuring a peculiar bunch of bidders in the L.A. area and now I think there are six storage shows from Texas to NY. The sadsacks trying to mine for gold in Alaska on a shoestring makes for a two year run of compelling drama and there are even a few spinoffs like "Bering Sea gold" and salvage hunters in Fla. Not to mention the nutty tow truck stuff and the trials of shipping stuff across Country. If you buy stuff that turns out to be damaged there is always the restoration crew in the Nevada desert. A damaged hundred dollar gem might cost you 5 grand to restore. And then we have the Pawn Stars. They have the "huhhh" exhale down pat when some poor schlep tells them they want a hundred bucks for an item that has just been appraised by an expert for 500 and the offer is $40 or less.
It's all compelling real life drama ...or is it? I am willing to accept staged stuff or replays or even creative scenarios but I wonder how much of the stuff is fake.

Forum List

Back