CDZ Is It Racist To Assume All White People Are Racists?

Is It Racist To Assume All White People Are Racists?

• Yes

Votes: 14 82.4%
  • No

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters

PGreen

Nov 24, 2014
Some people believe that everyone is racist to some extent. If everyone accepted this fact we would resolve such problems with a little more success. Do you also think so?

If you're making the case that EVERYONE is racist, as your comment indicates, why does the poll question only pertain to whites?

No, it's not racist. And I don't think most people believe that. For the most part, this constant scream of racism is nothing more than PC run amok. These people have weaponized the word for their own gain, trivializing it.

Perhaps the most egregious tactic by these people has been to conflate "racist" with "racial". If you make a comment that is racial in any way, they quickly brand it as racist so they can deflect from your point by putting you on the defensive. This helps no one.

The problem is that such an important word has been so diluted by those who seek to gain advantage from using it. Real racism obviously does still exist, but the word itself has become little more than a punchline, a caricature, making real racism that much more difficult to successfully address.

You pose a very interesting question.

However, a problem that I have is that I have no idea whom you mean when you say "some people". Who are those people, exactly? Do you have exact names, or is that just a generalization on your part? For I literally know more than 2,000 people from my journeys across the planet and I have former students and colleagues that must me more than 10,000 total and yet, I know of not one single of of those people who has indicated a belief that an entire race is automatically racist.

Also, the wording of your title focuses in only on White people, but the first sentence of your OP refers to "everybody" instead of "white people". That gives very much the appearance of having moved the goalposts between the title and the body text of the OP and it also makes the poll question therefore a non-sequitor.

I would say first that any person who thinks that an entire race itself is racist is ill-informed. I also believe that the thoughts of a person are his/her own property. It's the actions that count. Actions, imo, make a person racist or not.

Also, the postulation that all people are somehow racist, I find to be plain old silly. It seems to me as if someone is looking for a "get out of jail free" card to be a racist, since 'everyone else is, anyway'.

I don't buy it.

You pose a very interesting question.

However, a problem that I have is that I have no idea whom you mean when you say "some people". Who are those people, exactly? Do you have exact names, or is that just a generalization on your part? For I literally know more than 2,000 people from my journeys across the planet and I have former students and colleagues that must me more than 10,000 total and yet, I know of not one single of of those people who has indicated a belief that an entire race is automatically racist.

Also, the wording of your title focuses in only on White people, but the first sentence of your OP refers to "everybody" instead of "white people". That gives very much the appearance of having moved the goalposts between the title and the body text of the OP and it also makes the poll question therefore a non-sequitor.

I would say first that any person who thinks that an entire race itself is racist is ill-informed. I also believe that the thoughts of a person are his/her own property. It's the actions that count. Actions, imo, make a person racist or not.

Also, the postulation that all people are somehow racist, I find to be plain old silly. It seems to me as if someone is looking for a "get out of jail free" card to be a racist, since 'everyone else is, anyway'.

I don't buy it.

I do believe that humans just naturally tend to form groups and that those groups will be made up of those who they consider to be similar, 'of their own kind'. Some people distrust those who look, act, sound in ways that are alien to their own habits.

I also believe that some need to blame something and/or someone outside themselves for their problems and their own failures. I suspect that is at the core of racism.

It is wrong to categorize a whole race in this way. If you do this, you are showing an attitude towards every white person, and you really have no idea about the thoughts of each individual.

I consider it racist to assume all whites are racist, but not all blacks.

....especially considering the degree to which blacks harbor hostile attitudes towards whites in this country as compared to the other way around.

Some people believe that everyone is racist to some extent. If everyone accepted this fact we would resolve such problems with a little more success. Do you also think so?

No. To assume everyone is racist you would have to accept that everyone is morally depraved to begin with.

No. To assume everyone is racist you would have to accept that everyone is morally depraved to begin with.
Only racist people think everyone is racist. Its an inherent trait of humans to find a supporting rationale for your thoughts being normal.

Only racist people think everyone is racist. Its an inherent trait of humans to find a supporting rationale for your thoughts being normal.

They apparently believe being afflicted with such a crippling dissociative disorder justifies what they consider to be a social and cultural norm.

Most have no clue for the true meaning of the term.

Well, in nature many birds and other animals differentiate who to mate by color/smell/sound/similarities - depends whether you can stretch that to how race distinctions got started in higher animals like humans.

If you can, then it follows that humans are inherently deposed by animal instincts to be attracted to those of their own social grouping or a 'racial' group.

Humans as higher animals, can override instinctual reactions, so if we consciously give in to that reaction, we could be considered 'racist'.

Does being unconsciously attracted to a particular skin color, voice, or smell - or to those that share similar characteristics to yourself, make you a 'racist'?

If we concede the point that making distinctions can be something we are not always consciously aware of - then hypothetically everyone is 'racist' to a greater or lesser extent, when we construe not associating with someone of a different race on a unconscious level with 'racism' or race bias.

However, even if you were to make such a premise like 'all people in x group are racist', in doing so you would have to concede that humans can be inherently 'racist' due to animal instinct* - as even if 1 in a billion 'white people' were not 'racist' it would discredit the premise entirely.

I don't think anyone can make the case that a group of people are inherently 'racist' besides in an unconscious instinctual sense, as everyone can make a conscious choice over who they associate with and how they interact with another group.

If hypothetically 'all whites were 'racist', I don't see any evidence to that effect - least of which is due to the conscious attempts by 'white people' to put an end to slavery, happily marry those of 'another race', and actively help those of other 'races'.

Would we really have more success if we conceded people are inherently 'racist'? Depends on whether those that advocate racial discrimination would win out over those that advocate conscious attempts to inter-mix and overcome racial barriers and race based discrimination.

*Genes in group x, inherently make group x associate with group x, and not with group y.

Last edited:
Well, in nature many birds and other animals differentiate who to mate by color/smell/sound/similarities - depends whether you can stretch that to how race distinctions got started in higher animals like humans.

If you can, then it follows that humans are inherently deposed by animal instincts to be attracted to those of their own social grouping or a 'racial' group.

Humans as higher animals, can override instinctual reactions, so if we consciously give in to that reaction, we could be considered 'racist'.

Does being unconsciously attracted to a particular skin color, voice, or smell - or to those that share similar characteristics to yourself, make you a 'racist'?

If we concede the point that making distinctions can be something we are not always consciously aware of - then hypothetically everyone is 'racist' to a greater or lesser extent, when we construe not associating with someone of a different race on a unconscious level with 'racism' or race bias.

However, even if you were to make such a premise like 'all people in x group are racist', in doing so you would have to concede that humans can be inherently 'racist' due to animal instinct* - as even if 1 in a billion 'white people' were not 'racist' it would discredit the premise entirely.

I don't think anyone can make the case that a group of people are inherently 'racist' besides in an unconscious instinctual sense, as everyone can make a conscious choice over who they associate with and how they interact with another group.

If hypothetically 'all whites were 'racist', I don't see any evidence to that effect - least of which is due to the conscious attempts by 'white people' to put an end to slavery, happily marry those of 'another race', and actively help those of other 'races'.

Would we really have more success if we conceded people are inherently 'racist'? Depends on whether those that advocate racial discrimination would win out over those that advocate conscious attempts to inter-mix and overcome racial barriers and race based discrimination.

*Genes in group x, inherently make group x associate with group x, and not with group y.

There is nothing about women of other races that turns me off. I prefer women of my own race but I'm not turning anything down but my collar. Its not a conscious decision. Its an instinctive one. People are not inherently racist. Its a learned behavior. If people were truly inherently racist most of us would not be here right now.

There is nothing about women of other races that turns me off. I prefer women of my own race but I'm not turning anything down but my collar. Its not a conscious decision. Its an instinctive one. People are not inherently racist. Its a learned behavior. If people were truly inherently racist most of us would not be here right now.

I don't see that as being racist, but I bet some will.

"Is It Racist To Assume All White People Are Racists?"

Absolutely. No different than assuming that all blacks are lazy and shiftless. And for exactly the same reasons.

Racist? No. Bigoted, yes. :)

Racism means you believe one ethnicity is superior to others by virtue of whatever ethnicity it is.

Bigotry means you simply can't stand other ethnicities, groups, or what have you, than your own but if for irrational reasons doesn't matter.

Forum List

Back