Is it possible to want a small federal gov't and have these views?

Dr.Drock

Aug 19, 2009
1.) Wanting government to regulate the plants you grow on your property.

2.) Wanting government to regulate and filter every word on every form of media.

3.) Wanting government to regulate every marriage that a church wants to recognize.

What say you? Seems to me these sound like principles of a big government.

Good lord, it's a pot growing thread. Why don't you just label the thread as such and be open about it?

Did you intentionally ignore the other 2 of his bullet points or was that too much reading for you?

2.) Wanting government to regulate and filter every word on every form of media.

3.) Wanting government to regulate every marriage that a church wants to recognize.

I'd also add:

4. wanting the government to interfer with self determination overseas.
5. Supporting unpopular regimes.

I'd also add:

4. wanting the government to interfer with self determination overseas.
5. Supporting unpopular regimes.

Overseas? Shit how about some self determination here at home?

What I think you are missing Doc is that while many of us do want some version of those things done by the Government there are a whole lot of things that the Government currently does that we would do away with.... Education, Welfare, Foreign Entanglements, HealthCare, etc.... In our minds it's much more a matter of re-focusing the Government on the small number of things that it SHOULD be focused on rather than on the broad brush of things that it currently deals with; most of which we believe are UnConstitutional to begin with.

What I think you are missing Doc is that while many of us do want some version of those things done by the Government there are a whole lot of things that the Government currently does that we would do away with.... Education, Welfare, Foreign Entanglements, HealthCare, etc.... In our minds it's much more a matter of re-focusing the Government on the small number of things that it SHOULD be focused on rather than on the broad brush of things that it currently deals with; most of which we believe are UnConstitutional to begin with.

So government should have nothing to do with education, welfare, or health but should be overseeing marriage, language censorship and horticulture? Is that what you're saying. I just want to be clear.

So government should have nothing to do with education, welfare, or health but should be overseeing marriage, language censorship and horticulture? Is that what you're saying. I just want to be clear.

In a single word.... YES.

Let's now see if I can explain to you WHY that is.....

I believe that the system and style of Government which the United States was intended to run under (not the one it currently uses) requires a culture of morals, values, and ideals which must be understood, accepted, and embraced by the vast majority of the citizenry in order to function properly. To that end, the Government is the only organization which can ensure that those morals, values, and ideals are rigourously maintained throughout the entirety of society.

Now before you go off on a "theocracy" rant; I believe that religion has NO PLACE in the public sphere of government or society. It should be a wholely PRIVATE undertaking. However, I also believe that MORALITY supercedes all religion.

All of the points I listed can be described as unconstitutional.

What you're saying sounds like you agree with me that you can't want a small government and be in favor of those things, what you're saying it sounds like is that some people want one version of big government and some people want another version of big government.

Which is why I believe the Constitution needs to be re-written. The origninal Founders, for all the respect I have for them, were completely and utterly NAIVE on an unprecedented level. Unfortunately the only way to fix the current problems is going to be to tear the entire system down and rebuild it from scratch.

What you're saying sounds like you agree with me that you can't want a small government and be in favor of those things, what you're saying it sounds like is that some people want one version of big government and some people want another version of big government.

Everyone looks at everyone else's version of Government as "Big" when it does the things they see as unimportant and unnecessary. The whole discussion is a matter of viewpoint.

Personally, I believe my version of the Government would employ less people, spend less money, and be less involved in the everyday lives of the majority of American Citizens (which the definition of would be greatly revised). It would definitely be much less involved in the world around us.

Which is why I believe the Constitution needs to be re-written. The origninal Founders, for all the respect I have for them, were completely and utterly NAIVE on an unprecedented level. Unfortunately the only way to fix the current problems is going to be to tear the entire system down and rebuild it from scratch.

Everyone looks at everyone else's version of Government as "Big" when it does the things they see as unimportant and unnecessary. The whole discussion is a matter of viewpoint.

Personally, I believe my version of the Government would employ less people, spend less money, and be less involved in the everyday lives of the majority of American Citizens (which the definition of would be greatly revised). It would definitely be much less involved in the world around us.

Would your version of government include the 3 bullet points I listed?

I agree your version would be smaller because our gov't already does the 3 things I listed and the other programs you aren't in favor of.

But it takes a lot of gov't, a lot of taxing and a lot of spending in order to make sure nobody grows a certain plant in their home or yard, no church marries a certain couple of a particular lifestyle and no scary words are uttered at certain times or on certain channels or in print.

Yes it would, among a list of things that you would likely disagree with, completely.

I agree your version would be smaller because our gov't already does the 3 things I listed and the other programs you aren't in favor of.

But it takes a lot of gov't, a lot of taxing and a lot of spending in order to make sure nobody grows a certain plant in their home or yard, no church marries a certain couple of a particular lifestyle and no scary words are uttered at certain times or on certain channels or in print.

You know, once you cut out the vast majority of the things which the Government does now, there is a lot of money left over to spend on other things. Of course a lot of it is dealt with by making all Moral Crimes into Capital Offenses where only one appeal is allowed and the individual is executed six hours after the appeal is denied. It reduces the number of repeat offenders to almost ZERO, cleans out the prisons, and does provide a significant deterent to other potential offenders.

My knee jerk reaction is no.

However, thinking about it (Something I like to do) I would have to say no. Not inconsistant at all.

See, you can desire to have a limited Federal Government but have a very broadly powered Local government. That is what the Founders originally envisioned because they realized that power is better exercised closer to the people than from a centralized location removed from the people.

Yes it would, among a list of things that you would likely disagree with, completely.

You know, once you cut out the vast majority of the things which the Government does now, there is a lot of money left over to spend on other things. Of course a lot of it is dealt with by making all Moral Crimes into Capital Offenses where only one appeal is allowed and the individual is executed six hours after the appeal is denied. It reduces the number of repeat offenders to almost ZERO, cleans out the prisons, and does provide a significant deterent to other potential offenders.

I'm in favor of more capital punishment but with drugs, especially marijuana, being illegal you're still going to have overflowing prisons and an ever growing prison population.

Plus throwing non-violent marijuana users in prison greatly increases their chances of later becoming violent criminals.

I'm in favor of more capital punishment but with drugs, especially marijuana, being illegal you're still going to have overflowing prisons and an ever growing prison population.

Plus throwing non-violent marijuana users in prison greatly increases their chances of later becoming violent criminals.

Possession of illegal drugs is a moral crime in my society. It is a Capital offense. Druggies don't go to jail; they go straight to Hell.

Possession of illegal drugs is a moral crime in my society. It is a Capital offense. Druggies don't go to jail; they go straight to Hell.

Someone who smokes a blunt once should be killed? Well I guess that'd be a quick way to solve the overpopulation problem.

Sieg Heil!

Someone who smokes a blunt once should be killed? Well I guess that'd be a quick way to solve the overpopulation problem.

Possession of an illegal substance which alters brain chemistry to create a state of mind where the individual is not capable of making good judgements is a serious moral issue so far as I am concerned. I would outlaw alcohol and tobacco products and make a large percentage of over-the-counter medication, prescription only, as well.

Then again I'm the guy who got a college roommate expelled for having alcohol and marijuana in our dorm room.

Yep.

Forum List

Back