Is it possible to always tell the truth?

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
My assertion is it's impossible to always tell the truth. I think many of us are dishonest and lying without really thinking of it as a lie. Thus the problem.

As honest as I am, I'll lie if it suits me to do so. As with sparing someone's feelings if asked something about them when my answer would cause them hurt. Or for more life and death reasons where I'm on a definite side. Being truthful to an enemy isn't wise.

In my tenure on this site, while I've been wrong many times, I've only ever knowingly lied once.

Related question, if it's impossible to always be truthful, then isn't condemning others like politicians for lying hypocritical?

Thus proving that far left drones push a religious agenda due their programming and thus they feel they are not really lying..

Anytime you knowing post political/religious propaganda not based on fact, you are lying..

However the belief system one holds is can the one that is wrong admit openly that they are wrong?

If so, will it stop them from posting the same propaganda again and again?

Would you have told a Nazi soldier you had Jews hidden in your attic if he asked?

Is it impossible to live a life without transgression?

According to Kosh, all failures of ethical comportment is due to political philosophy. This is, of course, stupid partisanship and the ignorance of the plank in one's own eye while scrutinizing the splinter is someone else's

My assertion is it's impossible to always tell the truth. I think many of us are dishonest and lying without really thinking of it as a lie. Thus the problem.

As honest as I am, I'll lie if it suits me to do so. As with sparing someone's feelings if asked something about them when my answer would cause them hurt. Or for more life and death reasons where I'm on a definite side. Being truthful to an enemy isn't wise.

In my tenure on this site, while I've been wrong many times, I've only ever knowingly lied once.

Related question, if it's impossible to always be truthful, then isn't condemning others like politicians for lying hypocritical?
What's a hypocrite?

Lying is what makes the world go 'round'. Honesty is a virtue that is imposed upon us by powerful people to make things easier for them. Being honest may benefit you occasionally but it can screw you royally in major situations. The person receiving truth from you always benefits. This starts when we are kids. Our parents tell us to always tell the truth or something terrible will happen. This isn't because they want you to develop useful habits for life. They are telling you this because it makes it easier for them to conduct an investigation for crimes that you or your siblings commit. An honest kid is labelled a good kid. Then in grown up life people will use the truth that you give them. They do this so that they can lie more effectively in order to beat you. That kind of truth can often be to your demise. Don't ever trust a co-worker. Lie! Lie! Lie! and Lie some more. Don't ever trust a superior either. You have to tell them the truth to your boss all the time even if you lose a little ground. Telling them the truth is for your protection. People hate liars because liars always win. In the work world the other guy wants to win. If they catch you lying then they will destroy you if they have sufficient power. There probably will be once or twice in your tenure at a job that you have to lie to your boss but don't do it unless you are 100% that you can get away with it.

Lying is in all of us. We do it all the time. We are inclined to lie. It is a survival tool. We should be aware of it and save it for special occasions. If you lie too much then you screw yourself. If you don't lie enough then you screw yourself. Lying is a tool of survival. Use it sparingly. It reminds me of a Bible verse.

Ecclesiastes 7:16-17
16Be not righteous over much; neither make thyself over wise: why shouldest thou destroy thyself? 17Be not over much wicked, neither be thou foolish: why shouldest thou die before thy time?

In other words, "All things in moderation." Lying is great if it is used properly.

Last edited:
Yes. I teach this to my children. They won't be living in a black and white world. Why would I teach them to be ignorant of real life? The world is extremely gray. I prepare them accordingly.

My parents always taught me to be a good boy. That's exactly what I grew up to be. I was good at being good. After a couple of decades of disappointment I finally figured out that I was getting screwed. Forget being good. I'd prefer being successful.

Being good in your personal life is probably a good idea but in your career being good is self destructive.

There is no job security anymore. You can even be fired from government jobs. You can't afford the luxury of being good in today's world. Being a good person at work is suicide. Don't do it. Destroy your co-worker before he destroys you. Wicked and evil people are better at backstabbing than good people. You will be eaten alive if you don't sharpen your fangs.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back