Is it possible for atheism to ever be anything more than critical theory?

hahahahahahah
troll
and atheism is not even a ''real''/sensible/etc term because there is no god
for someone not to believe in a god, there has to be a god first
Thanks for proving my point.

I am quite happy for you to not believe in God. It’s not for everyone.

I might be mistaken, but it seems like OP thinks "critical theory" means something like being critical in the negative sense of whatever thing. That's actually not what the word "critical" means in critical theory, though. "Criticism" in the literary criticism tradition is more like analysis and scrutiny, i.e. it can be either positive or negative, but the point is analyze whatever phenomena closely. Basically "critique" and not "criticism".

hahahahahahah
troll

I don't don't believe in god
it's impossible to not not believe in god--there is no god

hahahahahahah
troll

Good for you. That’s the spirit.

hahahahahahah
troll

you are like the people hundreds of years ago that believed in witches/ghosts
and comets/etc were supernatural

hahahahahahah
troll

If you say so. :lol:

You can't prove god exists. I can't prove god doesn't exist. Could ya just drop it? maybe STOP bringing it up? Unless you come up with new information or facts. Otherwise YOU bring it up and WE all go around in circles.

YOU can NOT prove it.
I can NOT prove it.

Let's discuss football instead!

that, at least, is real.

I don't believe it is possible for atheism to ever be anything more than critical theory because there is no affirmative case for atheism. The only argument of atheism is to argue against religion and to criticize religion.

So my question is... Is it possible for atheism to ever be anything more than critical theory?
The thread premise exhibits the ignorance of what it is to be free from religion common of most theists.

Most theists have the wrongheaded notion that their religious dogma is ‘true’ and ‘factual,’ which of course it’s not, and that those free from religion make the ‘mistake’ of rejecting the ‘truth’ and ‘fact’ of the theist’s religious beliefs.

Indeed, theists have the issue backwards: the truth is that religion and ‘god’ are creations of man, the fact is there is no ‘god’ as perceived as theists – theism is therefore the aberration, not being free from religion.

hahahahahahah
troll

9781474941761-fairy-tales-for-bedtime.jpg

If God is a creator......why did he stop?
Why isn’t he creating things every day?
He is! God creates evil every day, and twice on Sunday.
Isa 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.
Why hasn’t God created any new planets?
We could use a new moon

The animals here are getting boring. Why doesn’t he create new ones

and why does so much of what he creates suck?

mosquitos!

black flies

greed heads

poisonous snakes

conservatives
I don't believe it is possible for atheism to ever be anything more than critical theory because there is no affirmative case for atheism. The only argument of atheism is to argue against religion and to criticize religion.

So my question is... Is it possible for atheism to ever be anything more than critical theory?

You can't prove god exists. I can't prove god doesn't exist. Could ya just drop it? maybe STOP bringing it up? Unless you come up with new information or facts. Otherwise YOU bring it up and WE all go around in circles.

YOU can NOT prove it.
I can NOT prove it.

Let's discuss football instead!

that, at least, is real.
It’s hard for some people to see how everything is connected. But this isn’t the thread for that.

The thread premise exhibits the ignorance of what it is to be free from religion common of most theists.

Most theists have the wrongheaded notion that their religious dogma is ‘true’ and ‘factual,’ which of course it’s not, and that those free from religion make the ‘mistake’ of rejecting the ‘truth’ and ‘fact’ of the theist’s religious beliefs.

Indeed, theists have the issue backwards: the truth is that religion and ‘god’ are creations of man, the fact is there is no ‘god’ as perceived as theists – theism is therefore the aberration, not being free from religion.
You are proving the point of the OP. :lol:

9781474941761-fairy-tales-for-bedtime.jpg
Thank you for proving my point.

Why worry about people who don't believe that a supreme being exists? Why worry that there are some people who simply do not know? Why worry about people who think that more than one god/goddess exists?

Nobody is keeping you from your thoughts.
Because theists are for the most part arrogant authoritarians who need to compel conformity and oppose dissent.

Indeed, in the mind of most theists to tolerate religious dissent is to is to acknowledge the falsity of their religious dogma.

The arrogance, intolerance, and authoritarianism common to far too many theists – such as Christian Dominionism – is what renders religion a chronic threat to a free, secular, and democratic society, and why the Framers wisely mandated the separation of church and state in the Constitution.

the same laws that describe the evolution of the universe also describe the appearance of the universe which means that the laws were in place before the universe itself.
^ magical assumption
You believe the leading cosmological model for the creation of space and time is a magical assumption?
You're the one taking that model and claiming a magical being established it
Are you going to discuss the OP or do I need to get the mods to kick you out.

I've already proven you to be ignorant of science.
As if on cue…

Behold the intolerance and authoritarianism common to far too many theists.

the same laws that describe the evolution of the universe also describe the appearance of the universe which means that the laws were in place before the universe itself.
^ magical assumption
You believe the leading cosmological model for the creation of space and time is a magical assumption?
You're the one taking that model and claiming a magical being established it
Are you going to discuss the OP or do I need to get the mods to kick you out.

I've already proven you to be ignorant of science.
As if on cue…

Behold the intolerance and authoritarianism common to far too many theists.
Because I am following site rules?

Let’s please stay on topic that the practice of atheism will never move beyond the practice of critical theory.
I have never practiced atheism.

It is just that I don’t believe religious fantasies
Your practice of atheism is criticizing religion.
What criticism.

I just said I don’t bel
There is no “theory of atheism”

We have just heard the bizarre claims of religion and don’t be,ieve them
I agree there is no theory of atheism. That’s why it is resigned to validating it’s beliefs through the practice of critical theory.
We don’t have to validate anything

You have to validate your religion to us if you expect us to believe you

So far, you have failed
If that were true you wouldn’t be here discussing religion. Specifically, criticizing the beliefs of others.

It really is your only option to confirm your beliefs.
Your thread called out atheists
I just responded
This isn’t a call out thread.

Is it possible for atheism to ever be anything more than critical theory?

Why worry about people who don't believe that a supreme being exists? Why worry that there are some people who simply do not know? Why worry about people who think that more than one god/goddess exists?

Because theists are for the most part arrogant authoritarians who need to compel conformity and oppose dissent.

Indeed, in the mind of most theists to tolerate religious dissent is to is to acknowledge the falsity of their religious dogma.

The arrogance, intolerance, and authoritarianism common to far too many theists – such as Christian Dominionism – is what renders religion a chronic threat to a free, secular, and democratic society, and why the Framers wisely mandated the separation of church and state in the Constitution.

Nothing outrages them as much as someone saying.......I just don’t believe what you claim is true

It's so amusing when people complain that someone is "criticizing religion." Here on USMB alone, people criticize Catholics, Protestants of various hues, Jews, Muslims, and others such as Wiccans. In the meantime, out in the real world, Jews and Muslims are going at it, as are Catholics and Protestants in Northern Ireland, Hindus and Muslims in India, Shi'a and Sunni Muslims, and so much else. It's wasted breath, and would be hilarious if such strife did not place so many people in danger. One cannot be a Muslim in Pakistan going to market without risking being blown up by another Muslim. I don't know why adults get involved in this crap. It's so juvenile. As I have always said:

Die and find out!

[This post brought to you by a former medieval history major]

It's so amusing when people complain that someone is "criticizing religion." Here on USMB alone, people criticize Catholics, Protestants of various hues, Jews, Muslims, and others such as Wiccans. In the meantime, out in the real world, Jews and Muslims are going at it, as are Catholics and Protestants in Northern Ireland, Hindus and Muslims in India, Shi'a and Sunni Muslims, and so much else. It's wasted breath, and would be hilarious if such strife did not place so many people in danger. One cannot be a Muslim in Pakistan going to market without risking being blown up by another Muslim. I don't know why adults get involved in this crap. It's so juvenile. As I have always said:

Die and find out!

[This post brought to you by a former medieval history major]
Not complaining. Just saying that all atheists can do to validate their beliefs is to tear down the beliefs of others. That’s just a fact.

Apparently you agree because you sure aren’t disagreeing.

Nothing outrages them as much as someone saying.......I just don’t believe what you claim is true
Outraged? No. Just stating facts. The only way you can validate your beliefs is to tear down the beliefs of others. You need to do that. You literally can’t help yourself.

Forum List

Back