Is it ok to read the Bible?

Is it ok to read the Bible?

• Yes.

Votes: 21 87.5%
  • No.

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters
By accepting His love, you thereby enter into a personal relationship with Him vs not accepting and not having a relationship.

On a more personal level for comparison.......have you ever loved someone that did not love you back? That didn't want to be in a relationship with you??? You still love(d) them anyway didn't you? It's kind of the same thing.

From what I can see, you are asking to justify your doubts because you've already decided Christians are suckers and God is non-existent. So there is nothing to be said to change you mind. Fine, you go on and live with your unbelief and I will live in my belief.
No, you contradicted yourself. because if there's nothing I can do to LOSE his love then I already have it. So even if I don't accept it, you said that I can't lose His love in ANY case.

I never said He didn't love you with or without you accepting it. His love is always there no matter. But without you accepting it, you can't be in a relationship with Him to enjoy full benefits of it........similar with the comparison I gave you or with hadit 's comparison with your kids.

A Biblical comparison from Luke 15:11

Jesus continued: “There was a man who had two sons.12 The younger one said to his father, ‘Father, give me my share of the estate So he divided his property between them.

13 “Not long after that, the younger son got together all he had, set off for a distant country and there squandered his wealth in wild living. 14 After he had spent everything, there was a severe famine in that whole country, and he began to be in need. 15 So he went and hired himself out to a citizen of that country, who sent him to his fields to feed pigs.16 He longed to fill his stomach with the pods that the pigs were eating, but no one gave him anything.

17 “When he came to his senses, he said, ‘How many of my father’s hired servants have food to spare, and here I am starving to death! 18 I will set out and go back to my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. 19 I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired servants.’ 20 So he got up and went to his father.

“But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.

21 “The son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.’

22 “But the father said to his servants, ‘Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. 23 Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let’s have a feast and celebrate. 24 For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’ So they began to celebrate.

The son had refused the relationship with his father & left to 'sow his wild oats' so to speak & do things his own way against the fathers ways & teachings...but the father never stopped loving his son........similar to Gods love is always there, no matter what, but the relationship is based on accepting it.
The son came back home and enjoyed relationship with his father again. Had he, however, refused to return, he would have been forever separated from his father. It's not any more complicated than that.

Yes, God loves us. Yes, He's willing to accept us. Yes, He longs for us to come to Him. But we cannot expect Him to accept us while we reject Him.
So god rejects those who don't see him? That's douche.

It is not His rejection, but your own of Him
I never said that I've rejected Him, but I've yet to "see" Him.

Is that what he told you or did you make that up yourself?
Everyone has who meets God honestly knows what I'm talking about.
Ok, so you're too ashamed to tell us what happened. Got it.
Ashamed? Not at all, you're just not privy to the experience. You'll understand when you face Him. The difference is I already have.
You have nothing. Got it.
I have experience that you are not privy to. I had this discussion with a guy who insisted that UFO abductions were real because he believed the small handful of stories, but that encounters with God were not, despite thousands of years of millions of people reporting the same thing,
You were abducted by God?

No, you contradicted yourself. because if there's nothing I can do to LOSE his love then I already have it. It doesn't matter what i think or do, you said that I can't lose His love in ANY case.
Judgement still happens, even though He loves you. I can love my children tremendously, but one that disobeys is punished, while one that obeys is not. The one who is punished is loved as much as the other.
So you're saying that you're the same as god. :lmao:
I'm saying that I love my children, even though I had to discipline them when they were young. Are you really that obtuse, or just unwilling to see the parallel?
Ya I do, you think that god acts like you do. :cuckoo:
When He says He is my father and I am His child, I know.
Yes, you are very childlike.

Everyone has who meets God honestly knows what I'm talking about.
Ashamed? Not at all, you're just not privy to the experience. You'll understand when you face Him. The difference is I already have.
I have experience that you are not privy to. I had this discussion with a guy who insisted that UFO abductions were real because he believed the small handful of stories, but that encounters with God were not, despite thousands of years of millions of people reporting the same thing,
Hardly. Don't know why you would think that.

By accepting His love, you thereby enter into a personal relationship with Him vs not accepting and not having a relationship.

On a more personal level for comparison.......have you ever loved someone that did not love you back? That didn't want to be in a relationship with you??? You still love(d) them anyway didn't you? It's kind of the same thing.

From what I can see, you are asking to justify your doubts because you've already decided Christians are suckers and God is non-existent. So there is nothing to be said to change you mind. Fine, you go on and live with your unbelief and I will live in my belief.
No, you contradicted yourself. because if there's nothing I can do to LOSE his love then I already have it. So even if I don't accept it, you said that I can't lose His love in ANY case.

I never said He didn't love you with or without you accepting it. His love is always there no matter. But without you accepting it, you can't be in a relationship with Him to enjoy full benefits of it........similar with the comparison I gave you or with hadit 's comparison with your kids.

Jesus continued: “There was a man who had two sons.12 The younger one said to his father, ‘Father, give me my share of the estate So he divided his property between them.

13 “Not long after that, the younger son got together all he had, set off for a distant country and there squandered his wealth in wild living. 14 After he had spent everything, there was a severe famine in that whole country, and he began to be in need. 15 So he went and hired himself out to a citizen of that country, who sent him to his fields to feed pigs.16 He longed to fill his stomach with the pods that the pigs were eating, but no one gave him anything.

17 “When he came to his senses, he said, ‘How many of my father’s hired servants have food to spare, and here I am starving to death! 18 I will set out and go back to my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. 19 I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired servants.’ 20 So he got up and went to his father.

“But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.

21 “The son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.’

22 “But the father said to his servants, ‘Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. 23 Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let’s have a feast and celebrate. 24 For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’ So they began to celebrate.

The son had refused the relationship with his father & left to 'sow his wild oats' so to speak & do things his own way against the fathers ways & teachings...but the father never stopped loving his son........similar to Gods love is always there, no matter what, but the relationship is based on accepting it.
The son came back home and enjoyed relationship with his father again. Had he, however, refused to return, he would have been forever separated from his father. It's not any more complicated than that.

Yes, God loves us. Yes, He's willing to accept us. Yes, He longs for us to come to Him. But we cannot expect Him to accept us while we reject Him.
Every person makes the decision themselves. Why should God accept you when you reject Him? He will NOT reject anyone who accepts Him.

You tried to change "accept" into "see". Bad form there.
I never said that I've rejected Him, but I've yet to see/feel Him.

Judgement still happens, even though He loves you. I can love my children tremendously, but one that disobeys is punished, while one that obeys is not. The one who is punished is loved as much as the other.
I'm saying that I love my children, even though I had to discipline them when they were young. Are you really that obtuse, or just unwilling to see the parallel?
Wow, now you're trying to insult me. Is there no end to your cleverness?

You're equating your experience with alien abductions.

Wow, now you're trying to insult me. Is there no end to your cleverness?
Just agreeing with you. Geez, you guys are never happy. :D

Every person makes the decision themselves. Why should God accept you when you reject Him? He will NOT reject anyone who accepts Him.

What would it take for you do acknowledge that you met Him? Would you accept evidence that no one else experiences and you can't replicate?

What would it take for you do acknowledge that you met Him? Would you accept evidence that no one else experiences and you can't replicate?
You just described my morning log laying session.

I'm pointing out that there are many things we take on faith, often without realizing it.

I don't think you ever really thought about what it would take. Try.

I'm pointing out that there are many things we take on faith, often without realizing it.
There's actual proof of aliens. Please try again.

I don't think you ever really thought about what it would take. Try.
If he materialized right in front of me.

Why should anyone want, or care to read the Bible? After all, according to a new, massive study, American youth are moving away from religion:

Recent cohorts of American adolescents are less religiously oriented than their predecessors, although the majority are still involved with religion (see Table 1). First, American adolescents are now less likely to attend religious services. Twice as many 12th graders in 2010–13 reported “never” attending services (21%) compared to 1976–79 (10%). Compared to the early 1970s (12%), more than twice as many college students in the 2010s never attended services (27%). Similar, though smaller, declines (23% and 43%) appear among 8th and 10th graders between the early 1990s and the 2010s. Across all groups, the shift is most pronounced after 2000 as Millennials enter the samples, with the number not attending services increasing 50% for 12th graders (from 14% to 21%), 33% for 10th graders (15% to 20%), and 31% for 8th graders (13% to 17%) between 2000 and 2013. The percentage attending services weekly has also declined steadily; while 40% of 12th graders did so in 1976–79, only 30% did in 2010–13 (see Table 1 and Fig 1). For 10th and 12th graders, almost all of the decline in religious service attendance (d’s = -.13 and-.14) occurred between 2000 and 2013.

And, just in case anyone one wants to suggest that all this indicates is that young people are less disciplined than older Americans; that they just don't attend services, while still being just as religious as their parents - then the study also discovered this:

More than twice as many recent 12th graders chose “none” for their religious affiliation compared to the 1960s and 1970s, though the majority still choose a religious affiliation (see Fig 2). Thirty-eight percent more 8th graders and 53% more 10th graders chose “none” as their religious preference in 2010–13 compared to 1991–94. The increase in religious “nones” was especially steep over the last decade. Between 2000 and 2010–13, 31% more 8th graders (13% compared to 17%) professed no religious affiliation, as did 43% more 10th graders (14% to 20%) and 50% more 12th graders (16% to 24%). Three times as many college students in the 2010s (vs. the late 1960s) reported no religious affiliation, though the majority are still affiliated. In just the 13 years between 2000 and 2013, 87% more college students chose no religious affiliation (15% vs. 28%). Compared to the early 1970s, four times as many reported that their mother had no religious affiliation, and more than twice as many reported that their father had no religious affiliation. The gap between students’ affiliation and parents’ affiliation has grown (see Table 1); this suggests both that more students grew up without religion and that more are abandoning their parents’ religion by college entry.
Notice the part I emphasised. So, young people are no longer feeling the need to fill their heads with myths, and superstition, but are turning to reason, and logic.

Why should anyone want, or care to read the Bible? After all, according to a new, massive study, American youth are moving away from religion:

Recent cohorts of American adolescents are less religiously oriented than their predecessors, although the majority are still involved with religion (see Table 1). First, American adolescents are now less likely to attend religious services. Twice as many 12th graders in 2010–13 reported “never” attending services (21%) compared to 1976–79 (10%). Compared to the early 1970s (12%), more than twice as many college students in the 2010s never attended services (27%). Similar, though smaller, declines (23% and 43%) appear among 8th and 10th graders between the early 1990s and the 2010s. Across all groups, the shift is most pronounced after 2000 as Millennials enter the samples, with the number not attending services increasing 50% for 12th graders (from 14% to 21%), 33% for 10th graders (15% to 20%), and 31% for 8th graders (13% to 17%) between 2000 and 2013. The percentage attending services weekly has also declined steadily; while 40% of 12th graders did so in 1976–79, only 30% did in 2010–13 (see Table 1 and Fig 1). For 10th and 12th graders, almost all of the decline in religious service attendance (d’s = -.13 and-.14) occurred between 2000 and 2013.

And, just in case anyone one wants to suggest that all this indicates is that young people are less disciplined than older Americans; that they just don't attend services, while still being just as religious as their parents - then the study also discovered this:

More than twice as many recent 12th graders chose “none” for their religious affiliation compared to the 1960s and 1970s, though the majority still choose a religious affiliation (see Fig 2). Thirty-eight percent more 8th graders and 53% more 10th graders chose “none” as their religious preference in 2010–13 compared to 1991–94. The increase in religious “nones” was especially steep over the last decade. Between 2000 and 2010–13, 31% more 8th graders (13% compared to 17%) professed no religious affiliation, as did 43% more 10th graders (14% to 20%) and 50% more 12th graders (16% to 24%). Three times as many college students in the 2010s (vs. the late 1960s) reported no religious affiliation, though the majority are still affiliated. In just the 13 years between 2000 and 2013, 87% more college students chose no religious affiliation (15% vs. 28%). Compared to the early 1970s, four times as many reported that their mother had no religious affiliation, and more than twice as many reported that their father had no religious affiliation. The gap between students’ affiliation and parents’ affiliation has grown (see Table 1); this suggests both that more students grew up without religion and that more are abandoning their parents’ religion by college entry.
Notice the part I emphasised. So, young people are no longer feeling the need to fill their heads with myths, and superstition, but are turning to reason, and logic.
They are turning to reason and logic? So they are agnostics? Good for them.

reason and logic would also enable them to fulfill their destiny something the desert religions are incapable of accomplishing, agnosticism will leave them similarly without a means for admission to the Everlasting.

Forum List

Back