Is it ok to leave the computer on all the time?

sarahgop

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2009
I ask because when i turn it on it keeps locking up but when it finally comes on it works fine. Its been on since sat am with no problems. Is it ok to just leave it running?

no clicking, the cursor will lock up, or it will just shut down and i have to restart it. after a few tries it will work fine thats why i decided to leave it on.

I ask because when i turn it on it keeps locking up but when it finally comes on it works fine. Its been on since sat am with no problems. Is it ok to just leave it running?
First off what operating system is on the computer? Are you using a mouse or touch pad? Windows 10 has had some issues with a few mouse brands when waking up from sleep mode.
However the most likely problem is you system drivers need to be upgraded or you have a corrupted file causing the problem.
As for leaving it on all the time I leave mine on most of the time I just put them in sleep mode to cut down on energy usage.

First off what operating system is on the computer? Are you using a mouse or touch pad? Windows 10 has had some issues with a few mouse brands when waking up from sleep mode.
However the most likely problem is you system drivers need to be upgraded or you have a corrupted file causing the problem.
As for leaving it on all the time I leave mine on most of the time I just put them in sleep mode to cut down on energy usage.

Vista. how do i upgrade the drivers?

Vista. how do i upgrade the drivers?
Find someone who's taken a defensive driving class......... :eusa_whistle:

Hardware drivers are typically manufacturer installed. You need to know what machine you have, Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc, what model number it is then go to the manufacturer's website and click on driver downloads. Most manufacturers have a driver search function that you download and install and it will check your system and tell you what drivers you need. Personally I stay away from third party (not manufacturer affiliated) driver update software but you can use it if you wish.

What about this link?

Download Hewlett Packard Drivers

is that what i should use?
That's not HP, that's a 3rd party diver update application. Some people swear by them I don't think they're all that honest especially when you let them update your drivers and the next day the app tells you you need to download and install some of the exact same drivers.
Here's the official HP link;

HP Software and Driver Downloads for HP Printers, Laptops, Desktops and More | HP® Customer Support

If your computer works fine except when booting up, your problem is likely corrupt system files. Some Windows services that fail will try and relaunch several times...could be that one or more of these services are finally successfully launching after several attempts.
DO this ===> Start Event Viewer

This shows how to launch Event Viewer in Vista. Pay particular attention when viewing System logs.....pretty much guarantee you are going to see reoccurring errors.

I think it's probably o.k. to leave it on if you're going to use it the next day, but it sometimes tends to overheat.

Sometimes it does weird stuff from overheating and you need to turn it off then back on.

Do rule out the power supply and motherboard battery. If one is marginal it can make your system act flaky. I use the suspend option and leave mine on.

Don't know if this : (Kingsoft PC Doctor 3.7) will Help You or not, it worked/works Great on My pc's...! It even has a Floating Window that shows the CPU and RAM Usage while the PC is running...! Use At Your Own Risk as I am not a PC Tech, just a user...! :beer:

Use Cnet to d/l or go to the Kingsoft Home Site...!

Vista is sloooooooooooooooooow.................................
Upgrade, if possible, to the least expensive copy of Windows 7.

The act of rebooting will allow your system to update completely. I use a system that only requires I do it once a week, but for most people using smaller putters, once a day is a good thing.

My phone and the kindle both need to be rebooted at least once a day to keep from getting weird.

Geek Squad to the rescue !!!

Go to BestBuy and tell the Geek Squad your problem.

For about $100 they will fix it.

Forum List

Back