Is it logical or fisically responsible to...

uscitizen

May 6, 2007
My Shack
Keep rebuilding in flood plains, below sea level, on mud slide and brush fire blighted hillsides? Even in repeat hurricane strike zones?

Should the rest of the country subsidize these expenditures?

How bout "Tornado alley"? I see these people talk about rebuilding when they have been WIPED OUT multiple times and I can't help but think, MOVE!!! At least some of the rebuilding in NO was done with new building techniques to withstand another huricane. All the houses that Brad Pitt rebuilt are on STILTS so they don't flod out when a huricane comes through, others are built to withstand the intense winds of a huricane. Here in my town we have the RICH who just HAVE to build right on the banks of the Boise river KNOWING that they are WELL within the 100 year flood plain and then the cry and bitch when their homes are flooded. I have ZERO sympathy for people who do such things.

And as more stuff is built in danger zones the cost per hurricane, flood, etc will rise and continue to rise.

Sort of a stupidity inflation factor.

We need to control stupidity costs!

All houses are in stupid places. Look at my location and ask me.

People like to live along sea coasts, along rivers (good for commerce) and the whole pacific coast is just one big earthquake zone.

There are no really safe places from what mother nature has up her sleeve. Places that are earthquake safe are subject to Tornados. Places that are Tornado safe are subject to flooding. Even NY suffers from Hurricanes on occasion.

And in this era of global warming, even Florida is subject to snowstorms.

We just take care of each other, clean up the mess and wait for the next one

People like to live along sea coasts, along rivers (good for commerce) and the whole pacific coast is just one big earthquake zone.

There are no really safe places from what mother nature has up her sleeve. Places that are earthquake safe are subject to Tornados. Places that are Tornado safe are subject to flooding. Even NY suffers from Hurricanes on occasion.

Yes there are no absolutely safe places to build, but there are plenty of stupid ones.
We should minimize the risk.

This is like someone claiming their Hurricane insurance is too expensive. If they had opted for a house on which they could afford to make hurricane insurance payments they would have no problem. But they wanted a bigger, nicer house and now cannot afford to insure it, so they want the legislature to pass a law telling the insurance companies what they can charge.
Stupid.
The insurance companies will stop doing business if they lose money because the law won't let them charge the actual rates.

This is just the same as federal disaster relief. It makes the politicians feel good, but if the people living in a region had proper insurance they would be fine.

This is like someone claiming their Hurricane insurance is too expensive. If they had opted for a house on which they could afford to make hurricane insurance payments they would have no problem. But they wanted a bigger, nicer house and now cannot afford to insure it, so they want the legislature to pass a law telling the insurance companies what they can charge.
Stupid.
The insurance companies will stop doing business if they lose money because the law won't let them charge the actual rates.

This is just the same as federal disaster relief. It makes the politicians feel good, but if the people living in a region had proper insurance they would be fine.

In the case of a 9+ subduction quake on the West Coast, they will not be fine. The insurance companies do not have the reserves for the damage that will be inflicted.

There are natural disasters that are beyond the ability of any reasonable insurance reserve. Subduction quake on the West Coast, a caldera volcanic eruption, or two Katrina sized disasters on the East Coast.

Yes there are no absolutely safe places to build, but there are plenty of stupid ones.

Sooo......you're suggesting everyone move out of California (Earthquakes) and Florida (Hurricanes?).

Can they come stay at your house?

Sooo......you're suggesting everyone move out of California (Earthquakes) and Florida (Hurricanes?).

Can they come stay at your house?

I am not saying that just build in reasonable places in those areas. NOt on the side of a hill that will likely mudslide nor right on the coast in a hurricane prone zone nor on a floodplain.
But most especially not below seal level on the coast in a hurricane prone zone.

there is no totally safe area but use common sense.

Last edited:
Shouldn't the individual state itself insure its own state and its citizens.... for the problems and risks of their own state?

If Florida was to expect no Federal help every hurricane they get, then the State would have to cover their own risks....maybe with insurance or a kitty....then those in florida MIGHT have to add an income tax, like 90% of ALL OTHER STATES to pay for their OWN risks....

Shouldn't the individual state itself insure its own state and its citizens.... for the problems and risks of their own state?

If Florida was to expect no Federal help every hurricane they get, then the State would have to cover their own risks....maybe with insurance or a kitty....then those in florida MIGHT have to add an income tax, like 90% of ALL OTHER STATES to pay for their OWN risks....

Yep Where are all the libertarian strict constitutionists on this?
States rights! and responsibilities.

There are natural disasters that are beyond the ability of any reasonable insurance reserve.
And we have seen this in which of the 'federal disasters' that received relief?

Hurricane Andrew for one.
Katrina?
and apparently about 2X a year in Ca with fires and mudslides.
Katrina, Andrew OK, but the fires and mudslides? I can see why you add 'apparently' - these are feel good opportunities much like some other federal disasters which definitely should not receive such massive outside assistance.
And truthfully I would rather some mathematically precise criteria for determining when insurance carriers needed temporary assistance rather than blind assistance to people to cheap (or stupid) to carry coverage.
Sure Army CoE to help provide immediate assistance in rescuing people trapped and restoring power/water, but no cash handouts.

we got this piece of land dirt cheap....both the places on it before us...were hit by lightening.....there is always something....what became of helping one another...now its every one for themselves..

Or, all the states could pay into a group insurance policy = FEMA

I must agree tho, there are some area's (San Francisco, Los Angeles, New Orleans, Houston, and Miami), which should raise their own taxes to insure themselves beyond the norm that FEMA offers

Forum List

Back