Is It Just Me Or Did Gays Cost Kerry The Election?

NATO AIR

Jun 25, 2004
USS Abraham Lincoln
among many other things, I do think this was the greatest reason Kerry lost and Bush's turnout was so high. Many, many Americans felt threatened by gay marriage, perhaps even more so than terrorism.

I talked to a few homosexual friends and they agree. Most interestingly, they blame "flamboyant, radical" gays not only for the election loss, but for the sorry state they feel homosexuals are in in general. They only want civil unions, not gay marriage, by a margain of 13 to 1. (14 friends).

Your thoughts?

I can't speak for others but it didn't have much to do with my decision. I'm definitely opposed to gay marriage but wouldn't lose any sleep if they were granted civil unions. (Just to shut the loud ones up if nothing else.)

It definitely hurt him. Its the lowest common denominator. Be afraid of the gays, and don't let them get married. Definitely brough tons of people to the polls. But I still think Bush had this one in the bag; terror was just to prevalent in the minds of people who will never have to fear for their lives. Go figure.

nakedemperor said:
It definitely hurt him. Its the lowest common denominator. Be afraid of the gays, and don't let them get married. Definitely brough tons of people to the polls. But I still think Bush had this one in the bag; terror was just to prevalent in the minds of people who will never have to fear for their lives. Go figure.

Perhaps they will never have to fear for their lives because President Bush has reacted prudently to terrorism on American soil.

You know i think that it deffinately helped but i dont think it was the reason. i think Bush was just going to win regardless. Media has been trying to spin this to the gay thing. I think its to imply that america is nothing but homophobic bigots who dont think with their heads but vote with their emotions. but Kerry was weighed down by alot of things.

it just strikes me because many gays seem to be pointing the finger at themselves... or more correctly, at the flamboyant, "proud and public" gays.

even andrew sullivan (right of center blogger, though he did endorse kerry for reelection), a prominent gay journalist, seems to be thinking along these lines.

i do understand the concern some americans have about the "flamboyant" types, as well as the media and entertainment industry's now easy-going attitude towards gays. i don't want a 10 year old seeing two guys kiss on MTV at 3 pm, let alone see/hear about orgasms, oral sex or cheating spouses.

on this, i understand where many of the moral right and the "shame hollywood" crowd are coming from, and actually agree with them.

who knows though?

NATO AIR said:
it just strikes me because many gays seem to be pointing the finger at themselves... or more correctly, at the flamboyant, "proud and public" gays.

even andrew sullivan (right of center blogger, though he did endorse kerry for reelection), a prominent gay journalist, seems to be thinking along these lines.

i do understand the concern some americans have about the "flamboyant" types, as well as the media and entertainment industry's now easy-going attitude towards gays. i don't want a 10 year old seeing two guys kiss on MTV at 3 pm, let alone see/hear about orgasms, oral sex or cheating spouses.

on this, i understand where many of the moral right and the "shame hollywood" crowd are coming from, and actually agree with them.

who knows though?

Rosie O has been saying for years that radical gays kill the chances of gays of having a fair shot. She is right. Just like radical Chrisitians hurt the image of Christians, radical gays hurt the image of mainstream gays.

freeandfun1 said:
Rosie O has been saying for years that radical gays kill the chances of gays of having a fair shot. She is right. Just like radical Chrisitians hurt the image of Christians, radical gays hurt the image of mainstream gays.

Kinda funny considering Rosie is one of those Radical gays

Kinda funny considering Rosie is one of those Radical gays

her point was groups like ACTUP and the queer day parades, etc. she said she does not support those kinds of groups as they marginalize gays.

i am just repeating what she said on O'Reilley's show a couple of years ago.

NATO AIR said:
among many other things, I do think this was the greatest reason Kerry lost and Bush's turnout was so high. Many, many Americans felt threatened by gay marriage, perhaps even more so than terrorism.

I talked to a few homosexual friends and they agree. Most interestingly, they blame "flamboyant, radical" gays not only for the election loss, but for the sorry state they feel homosexuals are in in general. They only want civil unions, not gay marriage, by a margain of 13 to 1. (14 friends).

Your thoughts?

My thought is that liberals think the rest of us are stupid.

There is no practical difference between marriage and a "civil union". That is why homosexuals are so willing to settle for that status. They, and their lib cohorts believe that the rest of America is either too stupid to see the difference, or too lazy to oppose it.

They are wrong on both counts.

some of you fockers make me sick. Screw you and your blatant insults...seriously. Your passive-aggressive name-calling based on social dissagreements is nausiating.

'afraid' of gays. Look - It could be argued those against Gay Marriage are the most UN-afraid of gays within our society. We are not afraid to tell them, I love you like a brother, but you need to be regulated in who you marry just like ME. You don't deserve special rights.

OTOH, those who SUPPORT gay marriage ARE afraid of gays - afraid they will 'hurt somebody's feelings' by standing up for what is 'right'.; what is 'natural'.

-=d=- said:
some of you fockers make me sick. Screw you and your blatant insults...seriously. Your passive-aggressive name-calling based on social dissagreements is nausiating.

'afraid' of gays. Look - It could be argued those against Gay Marriage are the most UN-afraid of gays within our society. We are not afraid to tell them, I love you like a brother, but you need to be regulated in who you marry just like ME. You don't deserve special rights.

OTOH, those who SUPPORT gay marriage ARE afraid of gays - afraid they will 'hurt somebody's feelings' by standing up for what is 'right'.; what is 'natural'.

Or it could be that some people realize that what is "natural" does not necessarily mean the same as what is "right" and may actually believe in a different religion than you that does not demonize gays. Or they simply realize that they are not responsible for every single other persons souls and that those persons can make those decisions for themselves. Or they believe in a true separation of Church and State. Or, blah, blah, blah... The reasons are myriad, the result is the same.

There could be many reasons that people don't agree with you on this particular issue other than your highly entertaining and colorful descriptions of fear and emotional reactions.

no1tovote4 said:
Or it could be that some people realize that what is "natural" does not necessarily mean the same as what is "right" and may actually believe in a different religion than you that does not demonize gays. Or they simply realize that they are not responsible for every single other persons souls and that those persons can make those decisions for themselves. Or they believe in a true separation of Church and State. Or, blah, blah, blah... The reasons are myriad, the result is the same.

There could be many reasons that people don't agree with you on this particular issue other than your highly entertaining and colorful descriptions of fear and emotional reactions.

hey! Look over there ---------------->

because you missed the point.

-=d=- said:
hey! Look over there ---------------->

because you missed the point.

Hey! Look over there <------------------

I put the point right back to you, and you missed it. The assumption is that somebody is afraid of gays, you want it to be the other group and they want it to be you. It could be that each group has valid reasoning behind their position, they simply have reached a different conclusion than the other has. I was simply pointing the finger back in the direction it came from.

no1tovote4 said:
Hey! Look over there <------------------

Come up with that by yourself?

no1tovote4 said:
I put the point right back to you, and you missed it. The assumption is that somebody is afraid of gays, you want it to be the other group and they want it to be you. It could be that each group has valid reasoning behind their position, they simply have reached a different conclusion than the other has. I was simply pointing the finger back in the direction it came from.

I am not assuming ANYONE is afraid of Gays. I'm saying It's just as LIKELY. I'm saying "it's fucking retarded to think ANYONE is afraid of Homos, so stop using the fucking bullshit term"

:)

-=d=- said:
Come up with that by yourself?

:lame2:

Um, no, that was part of the point of why I used it the way I did. :rolleyes:

-=d=- said:
I am not assuming ANYONE is afraid of Gays. I'm saying It's just as LIKELY. I'm saying "it's fucking retarded to think ANYONE is afraid of Homos, so stop using the fucking bullshit term"

:)

Then using words like just as likely in the original post would have made your point more clear. Assume that we cannot hear subtle tones in your speech through your keyboard.

So we agree then. Nothing to be ashamed of. :salute:

nakedemperor said:

It wasn't about gays, it was about traditional family and marriage. It certainly was to me.

Marriage is already on the ropes, allowing gays to marry will just make things worse.

And, yes, heterosexuals have done far more damage to the institution of marriage than homosexuals ever have. That having been said, you don't fix the problem by redefining marriage. The real cause of the condition of marriage in this country (apart from the attitudes of people towards divorce, which no law can change) is that divorce laws in this country are too liberal.

Did gays cost Kerry the election? Rush Limbaugh said on his program today that gay organizations are up in arms because they feel they are being blamed by the Democrats for the loss of the election. I think the gay marriage question was one area where conservative and moderate Democrats voted in big numbers against Kerry. The Kerry camp knew that was going to happen so they didn't make an election issue out of gay marriage and tried to intimidate the Republicans into not making it an issue either (i.e., the Mary Cheney incident). In the 11 states where voters had an opportunity to vote against gay marriage, only Michigan and Oregon went for Kerry.

Forum List

Back