Is It Just Me Or Did Gays Cost Kerry The Election?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by NATO AIR, Nov 4, 2004.

1. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    among many other things, I do think this was the greatest reason Kerry lost and Bush's turnout was so high. Many, many Americans felt threatened by gay marriage, perhaps even more so than terrorism.

I talked to a few homosexual friends and they agree. Most interestingly, they blame "flamboyant, radical" gays not only for the election loss, but for the sorry state they feel homosexuals are in in general. They only want civil unions, not gay marriage, by a margain of 13 to 1. (14 friends).

Your thoughts?

2. Flying Duck

Flying Duck Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I can't speak for others but it didn't have much to do with my decision. I'm definitely opposed to gay marriage but wouldn't lose any sleep if they were granted civil unions. (Just to shut the loud ones up if nothing else.)

3. nakedemperor

nakedemperor Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +150
    It definitely hurt him. Its the lowest common denominator. Be afraid of the gays, and don't let them get married. Definitely brough tons of people to the polls. But I still think Bush had this one in the bag; terror was just to prevalent in the minds of people who will never have to fear for their lives. Go figure.

4. musicman

musicman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +533

Perhaps they will never have to fear for their lives because President Bush has reacted prudently to terrorism on American soil.

5. nakedemperor

nakedemperor Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +150
    Perhaps.

6. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,207
    You know i think that it deffinately helped but i dont think it was the reason. i think Bush was just going to win regardless. Media has been trying to spin this to the gay thing. I think its to imply that america is nothing but homophobic bigots who dont think with their heads but vote with their emotions. but Kerry was weighed down by alot of things.

7. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    it just strikes me because many gays seem to be pointing the finger at themselves... or more correctly, at the flamboyant, "proud and public" gays.

even andrew sullivan (right of center blogger, though he did endorse kerry for reelection), a prominent gay journalist, seems to be thinking along these lines.

i do understand the concern some americans have about the "flamboyant" types, as well as the media and entertainment industry's now easy-going attitude towards gays. i don't want a 10 year old seeing two guys kiss on MTV at 3 pm, let alone see/hear about orgasms, oral sex or cheating spouses.

on this, i understand where many of the moral right and the "shame hollywood" crowd are coming from, and actually agree with them.

who knows though?

8. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Rosie O has been saying for years that radical gays kill the chances of gays of having a fair shot. She is right. Just like radical Chrisitians hurt the image of Christians, radical gays hurt the image of mainstream gays.

9. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,207
    Kinda funny considering Rosie is one of those Radical gays

10. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    her point was groups like ACTUP and the queer day parades, etc. she said she does not support those kinds of groups as they marginalize gays.

i am just repeating what she said on O'Reilley's show a couple of years ago.