Is it immoral to have children knowing you can not provide them a decent life?

Is it immoral to have children knowing you can not provide them a decent life?

Yes.

I like this statement because it cuts to the heart of the matter. What is a decent life?

Love, shelter, food, education, health care.

And hopefully morals but without the first items morals are pretty much impossible.

Part of this statement alludes to the basic necessities such as food, water, shelter, and clothing. These are without a doubt prerequisites for a decent life.

Education and healthcare are certainly desirable, but I would not go as far as to say they are needed in order to avoid immoral child rearing. Otherwise, almost all of the human race throughout history was acting immorally.

If a person plans to have a child knowing that the kid(s) will not be provided a reasonable life (talking USA standards here) -- good education, not worrying about housing/food/clothes, access to opportunities to really exceed in life, etc, is that person making an immoral choice and should they be held accountable for it?

If I was unable to have a good paying job, and I knew that by having a kid I would be dooming that person to a life of struggle, pain, and a great likelihood of not accomplishing much (and probably turning criminal, etc), how could I say I really loved that child? What would I tell him when he or she is older and asks why I put them through such struggles?

Many children born to (relatively) poor parents don't turn to crime and do not waste their life. Some even go on to achieve great things.
On the other hand, some children born to affluent parents do turn to crime and do waste their lives.
Who is more immoral here?

Are you saying it is immoral to not have children knowing you cannot properly provide for them?

It's amazing how there's work to be done out there if you're willing to think outside the box and actually DO whatever work you can find. All my life, I've heard, "There are no jobs; I can't find anything", while watching my parents always manage to find SOMETHING to scrape by with. Color me unimpressed. Tell me how fucking crazy I am when YOU can do more than just whine about how you need extended unemployment. Neither of my parents ever collected a DAY'S worth of unemployment in their lives.

Wow. So you honestly think that all of a sudden 8.3% of America decided to be lazy. Its inconceivable to you that in a free market capitalist system the economy may demand less jobs than there exists people who want them.

Can you tell me what economic theory has lead you to believe that the supply of jobs always meets or exceeds the demand for jobs?

And FYI, there's still no one here buying that whole "I make SOOO much money, look how successful I am even though I can't read an entire fucking sentence and glean the meaning of it" line. You're still a loser and a joke, no matter what Internet wonders you claim for yourself. If you could impress people with what you are, you wouldn't have to try to impress them every single post with what you say, shitstain.

I have pity for your children and husband that they have to live with you.

Last edited:
Which parent is more moral?

A mother who is working part time for low wages who feeds her kids though the SNAP program; or

the successful white collar criminal parent (let's say the guy works as an administrative aid to a Congressman) who makes a very good living and gives his kids every advantage?

Which person, in your opinion is the more repugnant?

Which parent, given a forced choice, would YOU prefer to be?

You didn't explain the "criminal" part.

Working for Congress isnt criminal enough?:)

It's amazing how there's work to be done out there if you're willing to think outside the box and actually DO whatever work you can find. All my life, I've heard, "There are no jobs; I can't find anything", while watching my parents always manage to find SOMETHING to scrape by with. Color me unimpressed. Tell me how fucking crazy I am when YOU can do more than just whine about how you need extended unemployment. Neither of my parents ever collected a DAY'S worth of unemployment in their lives.

Wow. So you honestly think that all of a sudden 8.3% of America decided to be lazy. Its inconceivable to you that in a free market capitalist system the economy may demand less jobs than there exists people who want them.

Can you tell me what economic theory has lead you to believe that the supply of jobs always meets or exceeds the demand for jobs?

And FYI, there's still no one here buying that whole "I make SOOO much money, look how successful I am even though I can't read an entire fucking sentence and glean the meaning of it" line. You're still a loser and a joke, no matter what Internet wonders you claim for yourself. If you could impress people with what you are, you wouldn't have to try to impress them every single post with what you say, shitstain.

I was unaware we needed a job to work.

I was unaware we needed a job to work.

Oh right, the jobless poor are supposed to go out and find loans to finance opening a business in the midst of a recession. And the supply of consumers is unlimited so its guaranteed the business will be successful.

Oh right, the jobless poor are supposed to go out and find loans to finance opening a business in the midst of a recession. And the supply of consumers is unlimited so its guaranteed the business will be successful.

So because you are a spineless coward afraid of taking a risk for hard work, that means no one else can possibly succeed?

So because you are a spineless coward afraid of taking a risk for hard work, that means no one else can possibly succeed?

So because you're out of work and have no money or income banks must give you loans to start a business and customers must come to your business?

How much money would you be willing to loan to someone who is unemployed and has no assets or income? Must be a lot since you clearly think such people are great investments so long as they are brave and fearless enough.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back