is it fair to lock up people who lost their passport during transit?

if it were up to you, those people who lost their passports would

• be allowed to walk away and get a new passport from their embassy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • post bail

• electric device in a hotel room they pay for

• immigration holding cell

Votes: 6 100.0%

• Total voters

hazelnut

Rookie
Aug 13, 2014
if someone is legal and has a visa to go to US, and loses his passport and realizes it at the airport as the plane lands, do you think it's fair to put him in immigration holding cell for a few days until the problem is solved?
can't this person at least be on electronic device in a hotel room that he pays for instead?
if he was allowed on the plane, then he had a visa to go to US, or at least from a country where tourists arent required a visa.
immigration holding cell means the person sits there with nothing to do for somtimes more than 24 hours, no human contact, it's like solitary confinement, when he hasnt committed a crime.

The onus is on the traveler arriving in the US to have the proper paperwork to present to US customs and immigration.

If they cannot prove that they have the legal paperwork then ICE should detain them until it can be resolved or simply put them on the next plane back to their country of origin.

Allowing them into the USA without the proper papers is not a valid option.

Not up to me to decide ICE policies. If they need to verify the identity of the person first then they would be right to detain them. My understanding of their protocols is that anyone without paperwork is detained and then given the opportunity to go before a judge. The judge then makes the call. If that means a 24 hour wait then sobeit.

if someone is legal and has a visa to go to US, and loses his passport and realizes it at the airport as the plane lands, do you think it's fair to put him in immigration holding cell for a few days until the problem is solved?
can't this person at least be on electronic device in a hotel room that he pays for instead?
if he was allowed on the plane, then he had a visa to go to US, or at least from a country where tourists arent required a visa.
immigration holding cell means the person sits there with nothing to do for somtimes more than 24 hours, no human contact, it's like solitary confinement, when he hasnt committed a crime.

Strictly speaking he did commit a crime if he arrive sans passport or visa. Since when has law enforcement accepted a suspect's word attesting to their innocence? How is this any different?

"Hold it right there Lee Harvey! You're under arrest on suspicion of killing the President!"

"I didn't do it!"

"Oh...Ok then you're free to go."

Not so much. :)

It's a difficult issue, but I tend to think the holding cell is fair, at least up until such time as an embassy can confirm his identity. I would have thought that could happen within a few hours in most cases.

Here in the EU a national id card is sufficient to travel anyway, so at least we don't have this problem within Schengen.

I suspect a lot depends on the persons nationality as well. I doubt an Afghani gets cutvas much slack as a Swiss person might!

Here in the EU a national id card is sufficient to travel anyway, so at least we don't have this problem within Schengen.

I suspect a lot depends on the persons nationality as well. I doubt an Afghani gets cutvas much slack as a Swiss person might!

if a person had his passport pickpocketed, he might have his national id card pickpocketed as well, or they both fell out of this pocket.

or do you mean they issue that person an international id card on the spot and let him walk?

I am for the holding cell. If it is legit then it should not take very long to clear it up.

The policy of mandatory detention in Australia (that is the legal requirement to detain all non-citizens without a valid visa) was introduced by the Keating (Labor) Government in 1992 in response to a wave of Indochinese boat arrivals.

Currently, all asylum seekers who arrive without authority by boat are detained and usually transferred to Christmas Island initially while their reasons for being in Australia are identified.

The main focus of Australia’s mandatory detention policy is to ensure that:
More

Immigration detention in Australia ndash Parliament of Australia

Forum List

Back