Is it fair to blame junk food companies for people being overweight?

Absolutely not, it isn't far to blame the junk/fast food for people being overweight. Assigning the blame on fast food or junk food companies is silly and takes away personal responsibility from the avid consumer. I know eating loads of terrible food is going make me hefty, if I choose to do so regardless, then I have no one blame but myself. If you want to be thinner then eat better food and exercise. I used to be pretty heavy, over the last 5 years I have lost 125lbs. It wasn't easy and it wasn't always fun but the results were undeniable. Those results became my driving force to maintain my weight loss. I had no one to blame for me being heavy other then myself. Unless you have some medical condition for being heavy then the blame lays entirely with the person and not fast/junk food companies.

That Is commendable!! I know people who have struggled with losing weight and none regretted going through the hassle of changing habits. You seem to have a handle on things and getting started is always the hardest part.

For anyone else who wants to make a change, follow this diet:

Eat every three hours. Pick two different fruits each day. Anything except bananas. Pick a few different vegetables each day. No carrots. Choose different lean meats- chicken, ham, turkey or fish. Meat must weigh 4- 5 ounces. Unlimited vegetables. Seasoning okay, but no sauces. No sugar, pasta or bread for first month. No fruit juice since you are eating only fresh fruits. You can have coffee or tea, but no cream or sugar. No milk. No alcohol. No soda, not even diet.

Example of meals for one day:

1st meal. 1 peach, 4-5 oz. of lean ham
2nd meal. 4-5 oz. of turkey, unlimited tomatoes
3rd meal. 1 orange, 4-5 oz. of chicken
4th meal. 4-5 oz. of fish, unlimited cucumbers

If you are awake for a 5th meal, choose another vegetable and 4-5 oz. of meat or fish.

Drink lots of water. Only eat what is on above menu.

After the first month, you can add a few things. You can have two hard boiled eggs in the morning instead of meat. You can make a wrap sandwich with the meat and lettuce or spinach.

This diet, if adhered to, will change your metabolism and you will lose fat and keep it off. Best part is you won't be hungry and the diet is healthy.

I'm serious, I know quite a few people who have done this diet and they wish they would have done it sooner. If anyone here wants to slim down, I dare you to try this.

Carrots?? What's the issue with carrots? :confused:

I agree about the fruit, and I did much of this in shedding 65 lbs since last winter. The main first thing I did was to give up on wheat. That accounted for half the weight loss all by itself, and I knew it would from having done it before. But I'm not strict about it, will slip some occasional pasta and cereal. I don't hold back on eggs at all and I really don't skimp if it's a protein meal. I can pig out and still lose weight as long as it's not a meal of carbs. Besides wheat the other thing I had to change was eating too late at night and then going to sleep before it had a chance to burn. Those two things were the main strategy.

Carrots are too sweet naturally. Same with bananas.

Each person is different and it's a matter of sticking to a diet. On the diet I posted, people get encouraged right away because it actually works and they don't have to starve or live on rice cakes. It seems like people are more apt to stick to a diet if they can see results fairly soon and some get to the point where they are obsessed with losing weight. My hubby once just cut the sugar from his coffee and lost weight. It's easier with guys. Anyway, good for you for finding something that works and sticking to it. I hope it inspires others to give it a shot.

Oh, and since the companies apparently get credit or blame for the results of the food you eat, be sure to send thank you cards to whatever companies sell the fruits and veggies you eat. After all, they would get the blame if their food made you fat, right?

I see a lot of commercials for those healthy vegetables and fruits. Since one poster here believes that the companies all brainwash you with marketing tricks, why don't more people get suckered into buying more peas and green beans with all those Green Giant and Del Monte commercials? Hmmm, I am beginning to think that individuals ultimately make their own choices and marketing just doesn't always work.

That's an interesting point -- produce doesn't get advertised. And no, a can of Green Giant peas doesn't count, nor is that really advertised either. Fruit doesn't get advertised. At the most these real foods might be mentioned in the supermarket flyer, and even then only what their prices are.

Nobody advertises carrots; they advertise Hot Pockets. Nobody advertises celery; they advertise Otis Splukmeyer muffins complete with 32 grams of fat. Nobody markets pears or plums or grapefruit; what they market is McNuggets and chicken wings in sugar sauce and microwaveable plastic platters and the idea that you can save all that horribly creative time in the kitchen, because we'll it for you and give you a drive-through so you don't even have to leave your car and suffer the degradation of walking 40 feet into the store.

As I keep saying -- advertising exists only to convince us to buy crap we don't need. But to pretend this sort of deception isn't dishonest -- is just dishonest.
My point exactly. We (the public) eat like crap because thats what is pushed in the media. If they banned advertising crappy food and pushed healthy foods people would eat healthier. Its amazing to me that people that consider themselves intelligent cant see this.
God-damnit, is the individual ever responsible for anything with you libs?

I watch the same damned commercials everyone else does, and I am not a fat pig.

Just because it is on TV does not mean I have to eat it.

Absolutely not, it isn't far to blame the junk/fast food for people being overweight. Assigning the blame on fast food or junk food companies is silly and takes away personal responsibility from the avid consumer. I know eating loads of terrible food is going make me hefty, if I choose to do so regardless, then I have no one blame but myself. If you want to be thinner then eat better food and exercise. I used to be pretty heavy, over the last 5 years I have lost 125lbs. It wasn't easy and it wasn't always fun but the results were undeniable. Those results became my driving force to maintain my weight loss. I had no one to blame for me being heavy other then myself. Unless you have some medical condition for being heavy then the blame lays entirely with the person and not fast/junk food companies.

That Is commendable!! I know people who have struggled with losing weight and none regretted going through the hassle of changing habits. You seem to have a handle on things and getting started is always the hardest part.

Eat every three hours. Pick two different fruits each day. Anything except bananas. Pick a few different vegetables each day. No carrots. Choose different lean meats- chicken, ham, turkey or fish. Meat must weigh 4- 5 ounces. Unlimited vegetables. Seasoning okay, but no sauces. No sugar, pasta or bread for first month. No fruit juice since you are eating only fresh fruits. You can have coffee or tea, but no cream or sugar. No milk. No alcohol. No soda, not even diet.

If you are awake for a 5th meal, choose another vegetable and 4-5 oz. of meat or fish.

After the first month, you can add a few things. You can have two hard boiled eggs in the morning instead of meat. You can make a wrap sandwich with the meat and lettuce or spinach.

This diet, if adhered to, will change your metabolism and you will lose fat and keep it off. Best part is you won't be hungry and the diet is healthy.

I'm serious, I know quite a few people who have done this diet and they wish they would have done it sooner. If anyone here wants to slim down, I dare you to try this.

I agree about the fruit, and I did much of this in shedding 65 lbs since last winter. The main first thing I did was to give up on wheat. That accounted for half the weight loss all by itself, and I knew it would from having done it before. But I'm not strict about it, will slip some occasional pasta and cereal. I don't hold back on eggs at all and I really don't skimp if it's a protein meal. I can pig out and still lose weight as long as it's not a meal of carbs. Besides wheat the other thing I had to change was eating too late at night and then going to sleep before it had a chance to burn. Those two things were the main strategy.

Each person is different and it's a matter of sticking to a diet. On the diet I posted, people get encouraged right away because it actually works and they don't have to starve or live on rice cakes. It seems like people are more apt to stick to a diet if they can see results fairly soon and some get to the point where they are obsessed with losing weight. My hubby once just cut the sugar from his coffee and lost weight. It's easier with guys. Anyway, good for you for finding something that works and sticking to it. I hope it inspires others to give it a shot.

Oh, and since the companies apparently get credit or blame for the results of the food you eat, be sure to send thank you cards to whatever companies sell the fruits and veggies you eat. After all, they would get the blame if their food made you fat, right?

I see a lot of commercials for those healthy vegetables and fruits. Since one poster here believes that the companies all brainwash you with marketing tricks, why don't more people get suckered into buying more peas and green beans with all those Green Giant and Del Monte commercials? Hmmm, I am beginning to think that individuals ultimately make their own choices and marketing just doesn't always work.

That's an interesting point -- produce doesn't get advertised. And no, a can of Green Giant peas doesn't count, nor is that really advertised either. Fruit doesn't get advertised. At the most these real foods might be mentioned in the supermarket flyer, and even then only what their prices are.

Nobody advertises carrots; they advertise Hot Pockets. Nobody advertises celery; they advertise Otis Splukmeyer muffins complete with 32 grams of fat. Nobody markets pears or plums or grapefruit; what they market is McNuggets and chicken wings in sugar sauce and microwaveable plastic platters and the idea that you can save all that horribly creative time in the kitchen, because we'll it for you and give you a drive-through so you don't even have to leave your car and suffer the degradation of walking 40 feet into the store.

As I keep saying -- advertising exists only to convince us to buy crap we don't need. But to pretend this sort of deception isn't dishonest -- is just dishonest.
Only stupid people buy stuff they don't need because of an ad.

To pretend otherwise is what is dishonest.

My point exactly. We (the public) eat like crap because thats what is pushed in the media. If they banned advertising crappy food and pushed healthy foods people would eat healthier. Its amazing to me that people that consider themselves intelligent cant see this.

And your physiology is exactly the same as everybody else's too, right?

Poster please.

If that were true, there would be no point in advertising at all except to the stupid.

Go look up how much money is made in advertising and get back to me. We may end up with a new definition of "stupid".

The fact you just admitted you have a TV probably doesn't strike you as ironic. Why do you have a TV?

People need food. Too pretend that advertising is not done to convince you to buy stuff makes you either illiterate or dishonest. Plop plop fizz..... Can you tell me what product that commercial was selling?

Last edited:

That's the entire purpose of advertising -- to convince you to buy something you don't need. When it's something you do need --- you already know that.

Further, "what consumers buy" is only half the picture, so pretending it's the whole ball of wax is dishonest in itself; the other half being the supplier.

Example: You're on a long drive, say several hours. You get a bit hungry but don't have the time to stop for a meal. You also need gas, so at the gas station you scan the snack possibilities. Let me know what you see in that convenience store that isn't deep fried, corn syrup drowned, sugared, salted, saturated-fat-laden, hyperprocessed absolute bullshit food. Rotsa ruck.

The fact you just admitted you have a TV probably doesn't strike you as ironic. Why do you have a TV?

Indeed doubly ironic -- not only is the function of television to get advertiser access to the consumer, but simply in order to have a television that consumer has already bought into the idea that the boob tube itself is something they "need". The wound, so to speak, is already opened.

It seems that the point of this documentary is to point the finger at junk food companies and the claim is that they are responsible for people being overweight and that it's not fair to hold the individuals responsible. I really thought it was widely known that junk food just isn't healthy and that eating too much food is not a good idea. Grocery stores carry just about everything, from cookies to spinach. When you have children, and especially when you take them shopping with you, avoiding certain aisles is always a good move. No need to go down the candy aisle. While junk food abounds, there is also a produce section, fresh lean meats, fish and even diet meals and sugar-free items. It is a matter of personal choice. We can stop ourselves from gaining too much weight unless there is some condition that actually puts weight on no matter what.

I think people know better. I believe people develop bad habits and they are hard to break. Children especially don't want to eat carrots after they get a taste for candy, but that is on the parents. It's not ignorance so much as a lack of willpower. And the liberals in this documentary don't want people blaming obesity on lack of willpower or lack of exercise. But people know that what they are eating is bad for them and they keep doing it. I am interested to know what government intends to do to help them. If they really don't believe that people can help themselves, then clearing the store shelves of all junk food would seem to be their preferred method, but then they would no longer have nasty junk food companies to blame and if the problem was still there, then what? I would rather parents take that stand and clear the junk from their own kitchens. After all, the kids will eat those apples when they get hungry enough. Unfortunately, that hasn't happened so some nanny government supporters would like to take on the role of head of the household, all the while blaming companies for the problem with poor eating habits.

Michelle Obama's new lunch program isn't real popular with a lot of people. Of course, that is because some items are boring to people and the portions are skimpy. All that will happen is that students will eat twice as much when they get home and the school lunch won't help in the fight against obesity. Only parents who pass good habits onto their children will make a difference. I am guessing that some in government believe that it's necessary to change people by force, after junk food companies are either sued or taxed to death to pay for new programs. Have no fear, they don't want to ban sugar or junk food. Got to have those bad people around to take the blame when people find themselves supersized. They just want to make sure that the companies pay big bucks to atone for the fact that they exist in the first place and because they cajoled people into eating too much sugar and fat. And if you want to buy sugar, that's great, but it'll cost you. You can just never have enough taxes in liberal utopias.

Sugar Is Evil and Other Silly Claims in the Obesity Wars

Of course not.
The federal government is responsible for most obesity.

It allows ignorant people to spend "food-stamp" money on damn near anything, and it gives the kids two free meals a day, 180 days a year, with summer feeding programs in many places too.

People who get food assistance should get healthy commodities in bulk, and only be allowed to buy healthy whole foods, and dairy products with the food-stamps.

No more chips, cakes, cookies, ice-cream, sodas, etc.

Yeah, cuz that's the American way.

Maybe you could get a Constitutional amendment, forcing poor people to only eat foods RWs approve of.

The federal govt does not force people to shove sugary, fatty food in their mouth.

Most food stamps recipients are the elderly and children. Food stamp amounts do not allow for the purchase of high quality food. They eat the crap at McDonald's because that's what they can afford.

We are human beings. We should not allow fellow human beings to go hungry or to be forced to eat fat food like the great American diet.

As long as we force people ton live on next to nothing, we will continue to have high rates of heart disease, diabetes, hypertension, kidney and liver disease and cancer.

What exactly stops people from receiving food stamps from buying healthy food?

Cost.

To answer the question tho its both. America seems to encourage the hurry up lifestyle that is fast food, lots of work hours, cheap easy foods, etc.

So you can blame all the fat people (which seems to be the point of this thread) but the obesity rate in America has gone through the roof in the last 30 years. When there is a huge shift amongst an entire population, personal responsibility cannot be the only culprit

People are responsible for what they eat and no one, or nothing else.

The same argument was used for tobacco products, but government "interference" has saved quite a few lives that used to be given up to lung cancer and emphysema.

Junk food is to blame like spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

What would explain the increase in obesity specifically in America in the last 30 years?

Could it only be an intangible, like "greedy"? Americans have gotten greedier in the last 30 years? All 300 Billion together?

Or could the common denominator be the foods themselves have changed?

Easy, laziness. Our society is glued to TV's etc. My coworker is overweight and joined a gym. I think she might have been once in 2 months. Maybe. I'm not even sure if she went the first time or if that was just to pay for the membership. I work out at my house every day for an hour. I used to weigh 206 lbs and got down to 139 just to see what I could do. I am back up to about 170 now but I bulked up a little. I watch what I eat.

Last edited:
No, there was fatty greasy food 30 years ago too, so it's not that.

30 years ago we had 8 channels to watch and people actually worked for a living. Now we have 47 million on food stamps. Rest assured a huge chunk of those are sitting at home doing nothing.

Easy, laziness. Our society is glued to TV's etc. My coworker is overweight and joined a gym. I think she might have been once in 2 months. Maybe. I'm not even sure if she went the first time or if that was just to pay for the membership. I work out at my house every day for an hour. I used to weigh 206 lbs and got down to 139 just to see what I could do. I am back up to about 170 now but I bulked up a little. I watch what I eat.
There is no arguing that the food has changed as scientific methods to enchance food has progressed.. Processed foods created specifically to create habit and or addiction are much more prevalent. People are less educated about the methods and the food companies know this. Ultimately you have to get educated but lets not pretend the food companies are not specifically trying to get people addicted to their product.

No, there was fatty greasy food 30 years ago too, so it's not that.

Like I said about TV's there are more. I didnt say greasy foods didnt exist 30 years ago so now I see what you're doing.

30 years ago we had 8 channels to watch and people actually worked for a living. Now we have 47 million on food stamps. Rest assured a huge chunk of those are sitting at home doing nothing.

And the food that you put into your body has nothing to do with Obesity...Just coincidence that an entire nation all got "lazy" at the same time and has nothing to do with actual changes in food? Just changes in attitude?

Forum List

Back