Is it fair to blame junk food companies for people being overweight?

adults no children yes, parents of a non medically obese child should be prosecuted for abuse.

It may have been around forever but not readily available and pushed via marketing like it is now. If you understood marketing you would realize how powerful it is. This is by design and not for your health but to seperate you from your money.

It doesn't work on me and many I know. I guess some just care about their health and aren't easily swayed by fancy commercials.

I don't care how attractive they make junk food look. Anyone with a brain knows that fats and too much sugar aren't good for you. So, now the left is vilifying companies for brainwashing people into eating themselves to an early death. Of course, that will be reason to tax or fine them, and don't forget to increase tax on sugar so those stupid people who were fooled by the big bad companies won't be able to afford their "fix."

It may have been around forever but not readily available and pushed via marketing like it is now. If you understood marketing you would realize how powerful it is. This is by design and not for your health but to seperate you from your money.

It doesn't work on me and many I know. I guess some just care about their health and aren't easily swayed by fancy commercials.

I don't care how attractive they make junk food look. Anyone with a brain knows that fats and too much sugar aren't good for you. So, now the left is vilifying companies for brainwashing people into eating themselves to an early death. Of course, that will be reason to tax or fine them, and don't forget to increase tax on sugar so those stupid people who were fooled by the big bad companies won't be able to afford their "fix."

Marketing does work on you. You have a device to access the internet which you dont need. You may be more aware of your food choices and the dangers inherent in junk food and therefore developed a habit to counteract the marketing. Food is akin to a drug and a very powerful one at that. Marketing simply drives your choice of food. Its all very strategic from the way every McDonalds looks exactly the same once you walk in the door with the fries to the left all the way to having them strategically placed in the community to draw you in with the big golden arches. People who simply say its not a dual problem are missing it. The companies are simply manipulating your instincts to make a profit. people need to educate themselves in regard to why they do what they do. Once they understand they can then take charge.

Using high fructose corn syrup to replace cane sugar is certainly the fault of manufacturers. They do it because it's cheap. They fill low fat foods with it and similar sugars to give it taste.
They fill almost all manufactured foods with cheap sweeteners. Read the labels. Anyone with some modicum of interest in their health will start preparing their own food from scratch.

It seems that the point of this documentary is to point the finger at junk food companies and the claim is that they are responsible for people being overweight and that it's not fair to hold the individuals responsible. I really thought it was widely known that junk food just isn't healthy and that eating too much food is not a good idea. Grocery stores carry just about everything, from cookies to spinach. When you have children, and especially when you take them shopping with you, avoiding certain aisles is always a good move. No need to go down the candy aisle. While junk food abounds, there is also a produce section, fresh lean meats, fish and even diet meals and sugar-free items. It is a matter of personal choice. We can stop ourselves from gaining too much weight unless there is some condition that actually puts weight on no matter what.

I think people know better. I believe people develop bad habits and they are hard to break. Children especially don't want to eat carrots after they get a taste for candy, but that is on the parents. It's not ignorance so much as a lack of willpower. And the liberals in this documentary don't want people blaming obesity on lack of willpower or lack of exercise. But people know that what they are eating is bad for them and they keep doing it. I am interested to know what government intends to do to help them. If they really don't believe that people can help themselves, then clearing the store shelves of all junk food would seem to be their preferred method, but then they would no longer have nasty junk food companies to blame and if the problem was still there, then what? I would rather parents take that stand and clear the junk from their own kitchens. After all, the kids will eat those apples when they get hungry enough. Unfortunately, that hasn't happened so some nanny government supporters would like to take on the role of head of the household, all the while blaming companies for the problem with poor eating habits.

Michelle Obama's new lunch program isn't real popular with a lot of people. Of course, that is because some items are boring to people and the portions are skimpy. All that will happen is that students will eat twice as much when they get home and the school lunch won't help in the fight against obesity. Only parents who pass good habits onto their children will make a difference. I am guessing that some in government believe that it's necessary to change people by force, after junk food companies are either sued or taxed to death to pay for new programs. Have no fear, they don't want to ban sugar or junk food. Got to have those bad people around to take the blame when people find themselves supersized. They just want to make sure that the companies pay big bucks to atone for the fact that they exist in the first place and because they cajoled people into eating too much sugar and fat. And if you want to buy sugar, that's great, but it'll cost you. You can just never have enough taxes in liberal utopias.

Sugar Is Evil and Other Silly Claims in the Obesity Wars

Of course not.
The federal government is responsible for most obesity.

It allows ignorant people to spend "food-stamp" money on damn near anything, and it gives the kids two free meals a day, 180 days a year, with summer feeding programs in many places too.

People who get food assistance should get healthy commodities in bulk, and only be allowed to buy healthy whole foods, and dairy products with the food-stamps.

No more chips, cakes, cookies, ice-cream, sodas, etc.

Yeah, cuz that's the American way.

Maybe you could get a Constitutional amendment, forcing poor people to only eat foods RWs approve of.

The federal govt does not force people to shove sugary, fatty food in their mouth.

Most food stamps recipients are the elderly and children. Food stamp amounts do not allow for the purchase of high quality food. They eat the crap at McDonald's because that's what they can afford.

We are human beings. We should not allow fellow human beings to go hungry or to be forced to eat fat food like the great American diet.

As long as we force people ton live on next to nothing, we will continue to have high rates of heart disease, diabetes, hypertension, kidney and liver disease and cancer.

What exactly stops people from receiving food stamps from buying healthy food?

Not always possible. A single mother for example, live in rented rooms or motels, no access to a kitchen, maybe just a microwave. After working at a low paying job, maybe on her feet all day, Pick the kid up at school, stop at McDonalds. Still have to go home, get ready for the next day, help kid with homework, bathe kid. I've seen so much of it. Even myself, sometimes worked two jobs, fast food the only thing I had energy for.
Cop out excuse, no time, no energy...I work three jobs and still make time to prepare meals for myself. I've made that decision precisely because of what I have learned about processed, packaged foods. If nothing else, you make a couple of meals on your day off and freeze portions for later in the week, when time is at a premium.

Another factor is that children don't play the way we used to. When not doing chores or homework, we were outside, always. We ran, played ball, built forts...lots of physical activity. Nowadays, what do kids do for entertainment? Sit on their asses, messing with electronic gadgets or gawking at the boob-tube. I'd much rather see the schools cut some of their touchy-feely bs classes than phys-ed and recess.

Dodge ball, anyone?

It seems that the point of this documentary is to point the finger at junk food companies and the claim is that they are responsible for people being overweight and that it's not fair to hold the individuals responsible. I really thought it was widely known that junk food just isn't healthy and that eating too much food is not a good idea. Grocery stores carry just about everything, from cookies to spinach. When you have children, and especially when you take them shopping with you, avoiding certain aisles is always a good move. No need to go down the candy aisle. While junk food abounds, there is also a produce section, fresh lean meats, fish and even diet meals and sugar-free items. It is a matter of personal choice. We can stop ourselves from gaining too much weight unless there is some condition that actually puts weight on no matter what.

I think people know better. I believe people develop bad habits and they are hard to break. Children especially don't want to eat carrots after they get a taste for candy, but that is on the parents. It's not ignorance so much as a lack of willpower. And the liberals in this documentary don't want people blaming obesity on lack of willpower or lack of exercise. But people know that what they are eating is bad for them and they keep doing it. I am interested to know what government intends to do to help them. If they really don't believe that people can help themselves, then clearing the store shelves of all junk food would seem to be their preferred method, but then they would no longer have nasty junk food companies to blame and if the problem was still there, then what? I would rather parents take that stand and clear the junk from their own kitchens. After all, the kids will eat those apples when they get hungry enough. Unfortunately, that hasn't happened so some nanny government supporters would like to take on the role of head of the household, all the while blaming companies for the problem with poor eating habits.

Michelle Obama's new lunch program isn't real popular with a lot of people. Of course, that is because some items are boring to people and the portions are skimpy. All that will happen is that students will eat twice as much when they get home and the school lunch won't help in the fight against obesity. Only parents who pass good habits onto their children will make a difference. I am guessing that some in government believe that it's necessary to change people by force, after junk food companies are either sued or taxed to death to pay for new programs. Have no fear, they don't want to ban sugar or junk food. Got to have those bad people around to take the blame when people find themselves supersized. They just want to make sure that the companies pay big bucks to atone for the fact that they exist in the first place and because they cajoled people into eating too much sugar and fat. And if you want to buy sugar, that's great, but it'll cost you. You can just never have enough taxes in liberal utopias.

it is if you are a libtard

Of course not.

It allows ignorant people to spend "food-stamp" money on damn near anything, and it gives the kids two free meals a day, 180 days a year, with summer feeding programs in many places too.

People who get food assistance should get healthy commodities in bulk, and only be allowed to buy healthy whole foods, and dairy products with the food-stamps.

Maybe you could get a Constitutional amendment, forcing poor people to only eat foods RWs approve of.

The federal govt does not force people to shove sugary, fatty food in their mouth.

Most food stamps recipients are the elderly and children. Food stamp amounts do not allow for the purchase of high quality food. They eat the crap at McDonald's because that's what they can afford.

We are human beings. We should not allow fellow human beings to go hungry or to be forced to eat fat food like the great American diet.

As long as we force people ton live on next to nothing, we will continue to have high rates of heart disease, diabetes, hypertension, kidney and liver disease and cancer.

Not always possible. A single mother for example, live in rented rooms or motels, no access to a kitchen, maybe just a microwave. After working at a low paying job, maybe on her feet all day, Pick the kid up at school, stop at McDonalds. Still have to go home, get ready for the next day, help kid with homework, bathe kid. I've seen so much of it. Even myself, sometimes worked two jobs, fast food the only thing I had energy for.
Cop out excuse, no time, no energy...I work three jobs and still make time to prepare meals for myself. I've made that decision precisely because of what I have learned about processed, packaged foods. If nothing else, you make a couple of meals on your day off and freeze portions for later in the week, when time is at a premium.

Somehow, you working three jobs, and still have time to do healthy meals, I wonder. Well when I did two jobs, one full time,one part time, I had the energy for fast food and sleep, period. Were you trying to raise kids by yourself as well, living in places like the single moms do that I used as my example? Maybe rented rooms or even garages, no cooking facilities? McDonalds and cup of soup is usually the meal of the day.

Last edited:

Of course not.

Another factor is that children don't play the way we used to. When not doing chores or homework, we were outside, always. We ran, played ball, built forts...lots of physical activity. Nowadays, what do kids do for entertainment? Sit on their asses, messing with electronic gadgets or gawking at the boob-tube. I'd much rather see the schools cut some of their touchy-feely bs classes than phys-ed and recess.

Dodge ball, anyone?

How do you find time to be an expert on today's lazy children and lazy food stamp users? You work three jobs, find time to prepare healthy meals, even reading the labels, and still have time to post on forums and play dodge ball. Amazing.

Using high fructose corn syrup to replace cane sugar is certainly the fault of manufacturers. They do it because it's cheap. They fill low fat foods with it and similar sugars to give it taste.

First post to be on point here. ^^

It's not only junk food -- unless you count the term "junk food" to be a redundancy given our institutions of store-bought processed (junk) food in general. That's what brings about obesity on a large scale. There are a small few who might eat too much into overweight but most of us are being poisoned by our own food supply. HFCS is one of the culprits. Mutated wheat with extra gluten injected into it is another. Endless quantities of sugars injected to bring about addiction. It doesn't take what we pretend is a separate category of "junk food". It takes nothing more than a typical grocery shopping trip.
It is also palm oil. Processed foods often have palm oil instead of more healthful oils. The problem isn't just junk food; it is all processed food. You have to be careful about what is in processed foods.

What Are the Dangers of Palm Oil LIVESTRONG.COM

I don't blame "junk food" companies at all. The entire blame falls in the laps of fork & spoon manufacturers. Those damned fork manufacturers are literally making a profit selling their products. That, in and of itself, should be a criminal act but the fact that they're forcing people to stuff fattening food down their gullets is felonious.

On a similar note, I think the Lazy Boy chair company should be sued for promoting slothfulness.

Of course not.

Stupidity?

Of course not.

Ignorance and the fact that the purchase of crap food with foodstamps is allowed.

Of course not.

You miss the point of the OP ... as usual. Take responsibility for your Party's idiocy.

Of course not.

Sounds like a lot of bad choices.

Single motherhood is the quickest route to a life of poverty.

Yes and no. They share some of the blame. Its weird that a society (that supposedly prides itself on character, integrity and honesty) would think that the companies marketing their poison with proven techniques designed to create a habit or addiction to their products has no responsibility in this.

Sugar and fat have been around forever. Amazing that we have people pushing 100 years old when they grew up without government agencies protecting them from everyone, including themselves!

Difference is that parents used to take raising children seriously and that meant setting good examples and putting their foot down. I ate my vegetables because it was expected and no way would there be cake or ice cream if I didn't eat the good stuff first.

Some claim that moms just take their kids to fast food places because it's all they have the energy to do. Then some blame the companies for making the food in the first place.

Bottom line is that parents teach their children a lot before they go to school. The child will either show up at school disciplined and taught rules, that include good eating habits, or they won't. Poor parents can still teach their children good habits. It has nothing to do with money and everything to do with spending time with them. Too many parents don't teach their children even the most basic of manners. I see it all the time.

It seems to be encouraged to let government lead the way. If your kids are fat, then government must step in and correct that. If the kids aren't doing well in school, then government must step in and change the curriculum. When personal responsibility is never talked about and politicians can only preach about how they can change your life, you end up with the problems we have now. People who blame others for problems that they should have under control.
This is exactly right.

We were also taught that we couldn't be picky, or we'd go hungry.

When growing up, in our house, if meatloaf and green beans were for dinner, that is what you had.

Or you went to bed hungry.

Yes and no. They share some of the blame. Its weird that a society (that supposedly prides itself on character, integrity and honesty) would think that the companies marketing their poison with proven techniques designed to create a habit or addiction to their products has no responsibility in this.

Sugar and fat have been around forever. Amazing that we have people pushing 100 years old when they grew up without government agencies protecting them from everyone, including themselves!

Difference is that parents used to take raising children seriously and that meant setting good examples and putting their foot down. I ate my vegetables because it was expected and no way would there be cake or ice cream if I didn't eat the good stuff first.

Some claim that moms just take their kids to fast food places because it's all they have the energy to do. Then some blame the companies for making the food in the first place.

Bottom line is that parents teach their children a lot before they go to school. The child will either show up at school disciplined and taught rules, that include good eating habits, or they won't. Poor parents can still teach their children good habits. It has nothing to do with money and everything to do with spending time with them. Too many parents don't teach their children even the most basic of manners. I see it all the time.

It seems to be encouraged to let government lead the way. If your kids are fat, then government must step in and correct that. If the kids aren't doing well in school, then government must step in and change the curriculum. When personal responsibility is never talked about and politicians can only preach about how they can change your life, you end up with the problems we have now. People who blame others for problems that they should have under control.

It's a vast conspiracy, I tell ya.

Forum List

Back