Critical theory is the Cultural Marxist practice to criticize what one does not believe to arrive at what one does believe without ever having to examine what one believes. Practitioners of critical theory confuse critical theory for critical thinking. Critical thinking is the practice of challenging what one does believe to test its validity.

My question is... is it ethical to only criticize what one doesn't believe to arrive at what one does believe without ever examining what one believes?

If YOU were capable of critical thinking you would KNOW that your accusation;

"Critical theory is the Cultural Marxist practice to criticize what one does not believe to arrive at what one does believe without ever having to examine what one believes."

describes modern conservatism perfectly.

Do you NOT mindlessly criticize atheism, liberalism, progressivism, non-christian religions, gays, trans, interracial marriage, pot smoker and everyone else you disagree with?

or...

pot kettle black
The OP never mentioned atheism. Did you just self identify?
you mentioned it in another thread
But not this thread.

No. One should test theories.

Testing is being critical.

IOW you just don't believe a theory is fact
Look at the definition of both words.

Don't need to
Your call.
Maybe you should look it up

FYI there are nuances to a definition and a word ca mean more than one thing.
So now you are suggesting I do what you rejected doing?

Critical theory is the Cultural Marxist practice to criticize what one does not believe to arrive at what one does believe without ever having to examine what one believes. Practitioners of critical theory confuse critical theory for critical thinking. Critical thinking is the practice of challenging what one does believe to test its validity.

My question is... is it ethical to only criticize what one doesn't believe to arrive at what one does believe without ever examining what one believes?

"Critical theory is the Cultural Marxist practice to criticize what one does not believe to arrive at what one does believe without ever having to examine what one believes."

Do you NOT mindlessly criticize atheism, liberalism, progressivism, non-christian religions, gays, trans, interracial marriage, pot smoker and everyone else you disagree with?

or...

pot kettle black
But not this thread.

You can't change the definition of a word since you don't know the definition here it is

Critical

Definition of CRITICAL

Definition 1c

exercising or involving careful judgment or judicious evaluation

Testing is being critical.

IOW you just don't believe a theory is fact

Don't need to
Your call.

I know the definition you only know part of it

or...

pot kettle black
But not this thread.

You can't change the definition of a word since you don't know the definition here it is

Critical

Definition of CRITICAL

Definition 1c

Is that the only definition?

Don't need to
Your call.

You only posted part of it.

or...

pot kettle black
But not this thread.

Critical

Definition of CRITICAL

Definition 1c

it's one of them which is what I said

The part you don't seem to know and the link has the rest

But not this thread.

Critical

Definition of CRITICAL

Definition 1c

Of course you did. It wouldn’t have proven your point if you posted the entire definition.

Now post the definition of criticize which is the operative word in critical theory.

Your call.

The part you don't seem to know and the link has the rest
So you believe that critical theory is based on your definition?

I can’t believe someone is arguing for the practice of cultural Marxism.

But not this thread.

Critical

Definition of CRITICAL

Definition 1c

Of course you did. It wouldn’t have proven your point if you posted the entire definition.

Now post the definition of criticize which is the operative word in critical theory.

That has nothing to do with your response to my post where I said one should be critical of all theories does it?

But not this thread.

Critical

Definition of CRITICAL

Definition 1c

That has nothing to do with your response to my post where I said one should be critical of all theories does it?
Read the OP to see what we are discussing.

Critical

Definition of CRITICAL

Definition 1c

I am discussing your response to my post

And using a definition that is irrelevant to the OP while there is a definition for critical that is relevant to the OP.

And using a definition that is irrelevant to the OP while there is a definition for critical that is relevant to the OP.
and yet you replied to my post

and yet you replied to my post
Yes. Thinking you were using the definition relevant to the OP.

Maybe you should reread the OP to understand the question that was asked.

So the question still stands... is it ethical to only criticize what one doesn't believe to arrive at what one does believe without ever examining what one believes?

Why would ethics have anything to do with if one rejects the beliefs in others in order to define their own?

It would certainly be a strange and improbable, if not impossible, way to come to one’s own beliefs but I don’t see how that would fall under the scope of ethics, specifically being unethical.

You do know what ethics are, right?
It isn’t ethical because it is by nature disingenuous to argue what something is by what it isn’t.

That isn’t what atheism does. It doesn’t argue for itself, it’s simply being unconvinced of religion and it’s claims. I am an atheist because I am not convinced God exists. All the claims for the existence of God or gods I’ve encountered have yet to convince me.

That is neither to argue for atheism by arguing what it isn’t, nor arguing for atheism for what religion isn’t. So it isn’t disingenuous, nor would it be unethical.
I don’t think any Christian apologist, like William Lane Craig, or Christian philosopher, like Alvin Plantinga, would make such a claim either.
That is exactly what militant atheists do.

I’m sorry, I don’t understand your response.

What do you mean when you say “That is exactly what militant atheists do”?

Why would ethics have anything to do with if one rejects the beliefs in others in order to define their own?

It would certainly be a strange and improbable, if not impossible, way to come to one’s own beliefs but I don’t see how that would fall under the scope of ethics, specifically being unethical.

You do know what ethics are, right?
It isn’t ethical because it is by nature disingenuous to argue what something is by what it isn’t.

That isn’t what atheism does. It doesn’t argue for itself, it’s simply being unconvinced of religion and it’s claims. I am an atheist because I am not convinced God exists. All the claims for the existence of God or gods I’ve encountered have yet to convince me.

That is neither to argue for atheism by arguing what it isn’t, nor arguing for atheism for what religion isn’t. So it isn’t disingenuous, nor would it be unethical.
I don’t think any Christian apologist, like William Lane Craig, or Christian philosopher, like Alvin Plantinga, would make such a claim either.
That is exactly what militant atheists do.

I’m sorry, I don’t understand your response.

What do you mean when you say “That is exactly what militant atheists do”?
They criticize and ridicule the beliefs of others to validate their own beliefs because they cannot make an argument for their beliefs any other way.

Forum List

Back