Is it "bigotry" to think a religion is stupid, silly or evil?

The old line is "If a cripple needs a crutch do you kick it out from underneath them?".

I am fine with peopel believing what they want.

I am not fine with them thinking I must be forced to never point out their belief is based on no evidence.

I should not be forced into silence so you dont have to hear the facts.

AMEN!! metaphorically speaking of course.

Joseph Smith. Obviously lying and making it up. There was also some plagarism involved, but that's probably a little too inside baseball for this discussion. Pious Fraud is still Fraud.

obvious to the bigot is what you meant to say, bigot.

No, obvious to anyone with a lick of sense.

I'm assuming you're not a Mormon, so you don't think Joseph Smith was talking to God, either.

So why do you pretend that people who think he was deserve some kind of respect for believing a falsehood?

because the last time i checked, i wasn't joseph smith or god, and i don't judge others because of their beliefs or lack thereof.

obviously :rofl:

bigot

obvious to the bigot is what you meant to say, bigot.

I'm assuming you're not a Mormon, so you don't think Joseph Smith was talking to God, either.

So why do you pretend that people who think he was deserve some kind of respect for believing a falsehood?

because the last time i checked, i wasn't joseph smith or god, and i don't judge others because of their beliefs or lack thereof.

bigot

Sophistry.

here's the thing. The only reason why you defend Romney's silly beliefs is you think he's going to do things you want done if the country has a collective brain fart and elects him.

You are willing to make a Faustian bargain because you don't like what Obama's doing.

I'm not.

If someone is a whacked out cultist with insane beliefs, I don't want him anywhere near the button that launches the nukes.

bigot

Sophistry.

here's the thing. The only reason why you defend Romney's silly beliefs is you think he's going to do things you want done if the country has a collective brain fart and elects him.

You are willing to make a Faustian bargain because you don't like what Obama's doing.

I'm not.

If someone is a whacked out cultist with insane beliefs, I don't want him anywhere near the button that launches the nukes.

:rolleyes:

:rofl:

joey's rolled out his thesaurus; he must feel threatened.

most bigots do

Let me give you one agnostics view of "silly" religions, Joe...

If believing in something brings comfort to others? I don't have a problem with that. If it causes others to want to kill me because I don't believe in what they do then I do have a problem. I would have had a problem with Catholicism during the Spanish Inquisition...I have no problem with them now. I have no idea at all why you're so anti-Mormon.

A "good" person wants "good" for others as well as him or her self. I as well as other atheists believe it is good to promote the best use of our brains as it will lead to higher intelligence and a benefit for everyone. Ignoring bad thinking is like never sweeping ones floor and just living in an increasing volume of dirt and filth in ones home. If most of the world insisted that dirt was good for your home would you never sweep the floor in fear of offending the majority?

bigot

Sophistry.

I'm not.

Now Joe wants us to believe his concern with Mitt is over the Nuke button? :cuckoo:

bigot

Sophistry.

I'm not.

:rolleyes:

:rofl:

joey's rolled out his thesaurus; he must feel threatened.

most bigots do

Yep, Joe Blow's definitely a bigot...His bigotry is all over this board for months now.

If Romney thinks Joseph Smith was talking to God, that disqualifies him from the Presidency.

No it doesn't, no more so than thinking a snake was talking to Eve in the Garden of Eden.

But good try rationalizing your bigotry. I'm sure if Jews screwed you instead of Mormons, we'd all be hearing how Jews aren't qualified to be President. :thup:

No one is talking about "Jews". If you can't really defend Mormon silliness, just admit that you can't and move on.

You don't think Joseph Smith was talking to God any more than I do.

Why do you feel the need to give special consideration to someone who thinks he was?

Incidently, most Christians I know realize that the Genesis story is a myth. Even in Catholic School, they copped to that in Sophmore year. If someone really did believe the world was only 6000 years old, I would take that very seriously into consideration.

But here's the point on that which will go over your head. Whoever wrote that story down in the Torah in ancient times was not making it up or trying to deceive. He was probably copying down an oral tradition that had been passed down to him from generations before, and as far as he knew, it was true.

Joseph Smith. Obviously lying and making it up. There was also some plagarism involved, but that's probably a little too inside baseball for this discussion. Pious Fraud is still Fraud.

I'm not defending Mormonism. If you weren't so obviously wrapped up in your own massive biases because you got screwed by Mormons and not by Jews/blacks/whomever, you would have figured that out by now.

So, if someone believes talking to God disqualifies one from becoming President, why doesn't believing a snake talking to Eve also disqualifies someone from becoming President? How do you know that all of our Christian Presidents believe that Genesis was a myth? How do you know they didn't believe in the literal interpretation of the Bible? Why do you make the assumption that Mike Huckabee - an evangelical whom you've said you support - believes Genesis is a myth?

Last edited:
God Bless America...? No God Damn America!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36T1fnIafC0]Jeremiah Wright - YouTube[/ame]

No it doesn't, no more so than thinking a snake was talking to Eve in the Garden of Eden.

But good try rationalizing your bigotry. I'm sure if Jews screwed you instead of Mormons, we'd all be hearing how Jews aren't qualified to be President. :thup:

No one is talking about "Jews". If you can't really defend Mormon silliness, just admit that you can't and move on.

Why do you feel the need to give special consideration to someone who thinks he was?

Incidently, most Christians I know realize that the Genesis story is a myth. Even in Catholic School, they copped to that in Sophmore year. If someone really did believe the world was only 6000 years old, I would take that very seriously into consideration.

But here's the point on that which will go over your head. Whoever wrote that story down in the Torah in ancient times was not making it up or trying to deceive. He was probably copying down an oral tradition that had been passed down to him from generations before, and as far as he knew, it was true.

I'm not defending Mormonism. If you weren't so obviously wrapped up in your own massive biases because you got screwed by Mormons and not by Jews/blacks/whomever, you would have figured that out by now.

So, if someone believes talking to God disqualifies one from becoming President, why doesn't believing a snake talking to Eve also disqualify someone from becoming President?

Well, I thought I pretty clearly said it does...

Incidently, I have been screwed over by a lot of people. It happens. And, no, I usually don't carry around 30 year grudges over it. The difference with the Mormons is that their behavior was so off, so creepy, so inexplicable that I felt it required further investigation.

And when that investigation was done, it was "Holy Shit! These people are WHACKED!"

Quite the contrary, sometimes I go out of my way to help people who've done nothing but be a pain in my ass if it's the right thing to do.

For instance, my last job, I had a coworker who stabbed me (and others) in the back at every oppurtunity. Mostly because of her own insecurities. Well, things go around that come around, the person whose ass her lips were firmly affixed to left, and his replacement was having none of it and fired her.

Now, here's the kicker. Through my resume business contacts I found out about a job she'd be a pretty good fit for. So I passed her information along to them. Wasn't a client, hadn't paid me to do her resume, but I helped her out because that was the right thing to do.

So, no, it isn't about "I hate you because you screwed me over". Yeah, maybe that gets me to take a look at you when I probably would have ignored you. (and between 1983 and 2008, how much I really thought about LDS? Not a whole lot.)

Now Joe wants us to believe his concern with Mitt is over the Nuke button? :cuckoo:

Ummm, yeah, aren't you?

Or do you just hate Obama so much you are willing to ignore anything that is off about this guy?

You don't blink an eye at Obama's mentor spewing anti-American rhetoric at the pulpit which Obama sat on the other side of for 20 years...Yet you feel threatened by Dudley Do Right Mitt Romney as if HE would ever harm American security...? :cuckoo:

God Bless America...? No God Damn America!

Jeremiah Wright - YouTube

sigh...

Really?

Here's the kicker. If Obama really beleived that shit, I'd be worried. but honestly, Obama threw Wright under the Bus at the first oppurunity. (Well, maybe the second. He threw Granny under the bus first.)

Do you ever see Romney throwing MOnson under the Bus? Probably not.

It's not bigotry to disagree with a religion. It's bigotry to paint everyone with the same brush and to assume that everyone is defined the same way based on one aspect.

Exactly, bigotry has nothing to do with the specific content of your views. It's how you hold them and how you deal with those who disagree.

• Thanks
Reactions: del
You don't blink an eye at Obama's mentor spewing anti-American rhetoric at the pulpit which Obama sat on the other side of for 20 years...Yet you feel threatened by Dudley Do Right Mitt Romney as if HE would ever harm American security...? :cuckoo:

Didn't vote for Obama last time and won't vote for him this time.

But just because Jeremiah Wright is batshit crazy doesn't make the Mormons less batshit crazy...

As far as I'm concerned Romney has ALREADY harmed American security. His business practices at Bain have offshored thousands of manufacturing jobs and decreased our economic security.

Ummm, yeah, aren't you?

Or do you just hate Obama so much you are willing to ignore anything that is off about this guy?

you're projecting again, joey.

i'd love to hang out and slap you around some more, but i don't want to be late for church.:lol:

i'm a unitarian, btw, fire when ready, bigot. :thup

So, if someone believes talking to God disqualifies one from becoming President, why doesn't believing a snake talking to Eve also disqualify someone from becoming President?

Well, I thought I pretty clearly said it does...

Incidently, I have been screwed over by a lot of people. It happens. And, no, I usually don't carry around 30 year grudges over it. The difference with the Mormons is that their behavior was so off, so creepy, so inexplicable that I felt it required further investigation.

And when that investigation was done, it was "Holy Shit! These people are WHACKED!"

Quite the contrary, sometimes I go out of my way to help people who've done nothing but be a pain in my ass if it's the right thing to do.

For instance, my last job, I had a coworker who stabbed me (and others) in the back at every oppurtunity. Mostly because of her own insecurities. Well, things go around that come around, the person whose ass her lips were firmly affixed to left, and his replacement was having none of it and fired her.

Now, here's the kicker. Through my resume business contacts I found out about a job she'd be a pretty good fit for. So I passed her information along to them. Wasn't a client, hadn't paid me to do her resume, but I helped her out because that was the right thing to do.

So, no, it isn't about "I hate you because you screwed me over". Yeah, maybe that gets me to take a look at you when I probably would have ignored you. (and between 1983 and 2008, how much I really thought about LDS? Not a whole lot.)

115512-obsessive.jpg

Forum List

Back