Is it "bigotry" to think a religion is stupid, silly or evil?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by JoeB131, Feb 12, 2012.

1. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,002
    When I point out the truly stupid beliefs of the dumber Abrahamic religions, I get the typical jerks who can't really defend the point screaming "bigot" because I don't respect their silly beliefs.

The two biggest offenders being Mormons and Catholics.

I find the latter kind of Hilarious because I was raised Catholic, most of my relatives are practicing Catholics, and members of my family have worked in Church related enterprises for three generations.

But to the point, is pointing out the silliness of a belief offensive.

If you told me that you believed in Martians or Bigfoot or Santa Claus, and I responded with science and reason why these are silly beliefs, you probably wouldn't try to call me a bigot for not respecting your beliefs. You might even be inclined to say, "Yeah, when you put it that way, those things are kind of silly."

But if you believe a man in a dress is talking to God, or that that God told Joseph Smith to go out and have sex with dozens of women, and I point out that is really stupid or silly.

BIGOT!!!!

When I point out that there are things in the history of these religions that indicate that there really isn't anything holy about them...

BIGOT!!!

To make it quite simple. Silly things do not become less silly if you dress them up in vestments and call them a religion..

[​IMG]
    Sorry, still silly no matter how you dress it up.

2. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    thinking is BAD to some

3. Oldstyle

Oldstyle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,304
    Let me give you one agnostics view of "silly" religions, Joe...

If believing in something brings comfort to others? I don't have a problem with that. If it causes others to want to kill me because I don't believe in what they do then I do have a problem. I would have had a problem with Catholicism during the Spanish Inquisition...I have no problem with them now. I have no idea at all why you're so anti-Mormon.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Oldstyle

Oldstyle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,304
    Thinking is GOOD to most, TM...you should try it some time.:lol:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Cammmpbell

Cammmpbell Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +517
    All my life I've known of Baptists, some actually ministers, who drank and stepped out with willing women. One guy I knew had a code worked out with a clerk in a convenient market called "One Gun" or "Two Gun." He would watch the aisles to be sure no one could see him, slip either one or two beers into his front pockets, move to the checkout and either declare, "One Gun" or Two Gun" Without ever saying a word the clerk would ring up one or two, take his money, make change and greet the next customer. The man was a deacon in one of the biggest Baptist churches in town. He had talked to the clerk and convinced him that he was hiding his drinking from his wife. He would also give the clerk a good tip from time to time.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  6. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    The old line is "If a cripple needs a crutch do you kick it out from underneath them?".

I am fine with peopel believing what they want.

I am not fine with them thinking I must be forced to never point out their belief is based on no evidence.

I should not be forced into silence so you dont have to hear the facts.

7. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,002
    Fair question.

I did have some encounters with them in the 1980's that left a permanent bad taste in my mouth...

But that was before I actually took the time to study the batshit they really believe. I quickly figured out, this isn't a religion, it's a cult. One that clearly wants to grab as much political power as it possibly can.

I am sure that if the radical catholics or the Mormons ever had real power in this country, it would not be a good time for agnostics or anyone else who didn't believe what they believe.

Just because they aren't killing people doesn't mean they aren't seeking to impose their beliefs on people who don't share them. The Mormons with Prop 8 or the Catholic Bishops with their attempts to not include family planning in health care plans as mandated by law.

8. Douger

Douger BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +915
    Religion = All your holes belong to me.

9. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,053
    It's not bigotry to disagree with a religion. It's bigotry to paint everyone with the same brush and to assume that everyone is defined the same way based on one aspect.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 5
  10. Oldstyle

Oldstyle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,304
    I've spent a lot of time in Utah skiing and rock climbing, Joe and have interacted with a lot of Mormons without any problem. They do have some peculiar rules regarding alcohol use in the State but then again so do hundreds of "dry" counties in the Bible Belt. What about the Mormon faith do you find any more "batshit" than beliefs of Baptists, Zen Buddhists or Congregationalists?