Is IT acceptable to pray for another without first asking them?

Is IT obnoxious to tell acquaintances and strangers (unsolicited) that you will pray for them.

You can say it if:

A. You are joking. Example would be if I said something really nasty/sick/wrong and you said that to me.

B. If I'm sick.

C. If I'm going to war.

D. If I'm going to the Olympics

If you say it in a creepy born again kind of way, no its not right.

PS. It doesn't matter since God is going to send you to eternal damnation/flames/hell/fire if you yourself don't blindly accept the story of Jesus 2000 years ago. If you don't swallow that story from MAN, then God will send you to hell. So they scare you into believing too. Better safe than sorry, so even though you don't really "believe" it, most say they do just to be safe. And they don't question it.

So it doesn't matter if you pray for them. Better to explain your silly little story and see if I buy into it.

For the life of me I never understood how anyone who heard the story bought it. Its like believing in Santa or the Easter Bunny. Come on humanity. Wake up.

Maybe the Hindu's or Psyentologists have it right. :lol:

I can say it with or without your permission. I pray for people every day I've never met. I pray for all the unsaved, so do my kids. I don't tell people I'm praying for them, unless I think they'll benefit from hearing it.

My kids also pray for the unsaved. I wonder if Gunn would punch them out? Or spit on them?

Personally, I think he spits when they have the straight jacket on him.

800px-Straitjacket-rear.jpg

Last edited:
Is IT obnoxious to tell acquaintances and strangers (unsolicited) that you will pray for them.

You can say it if:

A. You are...

Maybe the Hindu's or Psyentologists have it right. :lol:

I can say it with or without your permission. I pray for people every day I've never met. I pray for all the unsaved, so do my kids. I don't tell people I'm praying for them, unless I think they'll benefit from hearing it.

My kids also pray for the unsaved. I wonder if Gunn would punch them out? Or spit on them?

Personally, I think he spits when they have the straight jacket on him.

image held back because god doesn't like it[/[/B][/I]IM][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="3"][COLOR="DarkRed"]
Oh puhleeze!!!!!! I'm going to puke.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Last edited:

Haven't read the whole thread, just thought I'd answer the opening question.

I think that it is perfectly acceptable to pray for someone without asking them first. I know people that simply keep a list of friends/family/acquaintances etc. handy and write down if there are specific issues that people they know are concerned with so that they can pray for those people. These prayers are done in the privacy of their own homes (or possibly at church but not out in a general public setting) and many of the people prayed for are never the wiser.

I do however think that informing people that you're praying for them is fairly obnoxious unless the person is a member of your own particular congregation/faith and well known enough to you that you know it won't feel as if you are trying to "convert" them. If the person you're praying for is of another faith, or an atheist they may feel as if you are trying to push your own religious views on them and what you meant to be a kindness will be seen in a negative light.

You can pray for anyone you like. It isn't a rule that you need to tell somebody when you do it.

ahhh, you are quite the ambassador for civility and manners.

I think that it is perfectly acceptable to pray for someone without asking them first. I know people that simply keep a list of friends/family/acquaintances etc. handy and write down if there are specific issues that people they know are concerned with so that they can pray for those people. These prayers are done in the privacy of their own homes (or possibly at church but not out in a general public setting) and many of the people prayed for are never the wiser.

I do however think that informing people that you're praying for them is fairly obnoxious unless the person is a member of your own particular congregation/faith and well known enough to you that you know it won't feel as if you are trying to "convert" them. If the person you're praying for is of another faith, or an atheist they may feel as if you are trying to push your own religious views on them and what you meant to be a kindness will be seen in a negative light.
thank you, thank you, thank you!

:eusa_angel:

ahhh, you are quite the ambassador for civility and manners.

thank you, thank you, thank you!

:eusa_angel:

lol...Nothing to thank me for. I was simply raised with to respect basic civility and good manners. I was always taught to be respectful and well mannered at the beginning of any situation. After all if you need to you can become mean/evil/defensive/bitchy/etc later on down on the line but if you start with mean no one will ever believe the nice even if it is your honest intention later.

I know it'll happen someday but I'm going to cringe the first time I tell my daughter about "flies and honey". hehehe

lol...Nothing to thank me for. I was simply raised with to respect basic civility and good manners. I was always taught to be respectful and well mannered at the beginning of any situation. After all if you need to you can become mean/evil/defensive/bitchy/etc later on down on the line but if you start with mean no one will ever believe the nice even if it is your honest intention later.

I know it'll happen someday but I'm going to cringe the first time I tell my daughter about "flies and honey". hehehe

Hmmmm, interesting take on things. But I think a broader perspective would lead you to see that a healthy skepticism would dictate one not truly believing nice or nasty early on as an indicator of later intentions. Most con men and criminals are the nicest, most sweet in disposition upon first or ealy meeting(s).

Never bite a hand put out in friendship or niceness---even when that hand was at first nasty. You never really know what intentions are, but you can always judge by actions---and remember to judge by current actions.

:cool:

Hmmmm, interesting take on things. But I think a broader perspective would lead you to see that a healthy skepticism would dictate one not truly believing nice or nasty early on as an indicator of later intentions. Most con men and criminals are the nicest, most sweet in disposition upon first or ealy meeting(s).

Never bite a hand put out in friendship or niceness---even when that hand was at first nasty. You never really know what intentions are, but you can always judge by actions---and remember to judge by current actions.

I think a lot of people have taken on the culture of PC

Some of the nicest people I ever met, were indeed the cruelest, and some of the best people I have ever known are my best friends that are seen as "unice" or "politically incorrect" individuals, at least according to the religion of leftist ideals.

They are the ones I can truly count on. Never ever judge a book by it's cover

Remember what you just said.

I think a lot of people have taken on the culture of PC

Some of the nicest people I ever met, were indeed the cruelest, and some of the best people I have ever known are my best friends that are seen as "unice" or "politically incorrect" individuals, at least according to the religion of leftist ideals.

They are the ones I can truly count on. Never ever judge a book by it's cover

Remember what you just said.

Hmmmmm...I don't believe in being PC. That said I do believe in good manners and don't think one necessitates the other. I have no problem telling people hard truths, I just think that there are, often, dozens of ways to say the same thing without necessarily putting the other person on the defensive or alienating them.

I personally think that telling someone a hard truth is much more "nice" than telling them a pretty lie that would go down better; gets me called a bitch at times but that's life.

Forum List

Back