Is it a mosque or "cultural center"?

From what I understand, it will be a tall building within which will be a mosque. Like having a chapel within a building...many hospitals contain chapels but you wouldn't call the hospital a chapel.

Hospitals have chapels where ALL religions may do their thing. Will this place allow Jewish or chirstians worship in the meeting spaces? If not then it is very different from a hospital. Hospitals are also non denominational...they don't care what faith you are.

They called it a mosque, until public opinion got to hot, then they changed the title to "cultural center"
I don't think you're right...it has been referred to as a cultural center all along. To me, at least, a mosque is strictly a religious building.

I've no idea if other denominations will be able to hold worship services, nor do I care. I wouldn't expect Muslims to worship in a Christian chapel.

I really don't understand the problem with this...at first I also thought it was a stupid idea, but at first I thought it would be built on Ground Zero. The location is two blocks away.

No, i believe they called it a mosque up until a few weeks ago.

My problem is the hood winking. If it is a mosque call it that. If it is a "cultural" center then be honest about the culture.

Have you ever been to NYC? It is two "short side of the blocks" blocks. The short sides of NYC blocks are VERY short. You past them in a blink of an eye. So saying its two "blocks " away isnt much.

Hospitals have chapels where ALL religions may do their thing. Will this place allow Jewish or chirstians worship in the meeting spaces? If not then it is very different from a hospital. Hospitals are also non denominational...they don't care what faith you are.

They called it a mosque, until public opinion got to hot, then they changed the title to "cultural center"
I don't think you're right...it has been referred to as a cultural center all along. To me, at least, a mosque is strictly a religious building.

I've no idea if other denominations will be able to hold worship services, nor do I care. I wouldn't expect Muslims to worship in a Christian chapel.

I really don't understand the problem with this...at first I also thought it was a stupid idea, but at first I thought it would be built on Ground Zero. The location is two blocks away.

My problem is the hood winking. If it is a mosque call it that. If it is a "cultural" center then be honest about the culture.

Have you ever been to NYC? It is two "short side of the blocks" blocks. The short sides of NYC blocks are VERY short. You past them in a blink of an eye. So saying its two "blocks " away isnt much.

The Building plans include a stair case which reads. "stairway to mosque"

That clear enough for ya?

From what I understand, it will be a tall building within which will be a mosque. Like having a chapel within a building...many hospitals contain chapels but you wouldn't call the hospital a chapel.

Yep all the pundits and such lead us to believe with actual lies that it is at the actual site of ground zero.
They may clarify it later in their program but the initial lie sticks.

As I understood it it amounts to just over 500 feet away, and besides the Building they will be tearing down to build this Mosque/Community Center Actually took Debris from the Jets that hit the WTC. part of the Engine of one of the planes landed on its roof. So in some peoples minds that makes it Part of the site.

Nothing is ever as clear cut as some would want us to think. No this is not right at Ground Zero, but it is very close. At 13 Stories it will be visible from anywhere at ground zero, and as I said the Building to be tore down was hit by parts of the planes that hit the WTC on 9/11.

So both sides are being a tad dishonest IMO. It is not right at ground Zero, but it clearly is not completely unrelated to the Attacks either.

This Issue has taken on a life of its own now, Above the actual Mosque and whether or not it is at Ground Zero. The Fact is that 2/3rds of Americans think it is, and do not want to see it there. They are asking it be moved. This is a question of whether or not Muslims can respect our Feelings on the subject and make a compromise and move it, or if they will do as Muslims usually seem to do, and Ignore our sensibilities while Demanding we respect and make room for theirs in our society.

Respect and Tolerance has to go Both Ways. While Most Muslims are not Terrorists. I do believe the Religion as a whole does not Promote Tolerance of Others Ideas, and beliefs. It promotes Conversion. We bend over back wards at each turn to respect the sensibilities of Muslims, while they simply do not show us the same respect, on anywhere near the same level. Sure some do, but the norm is Disrespect for anything not Muslim.

To deny that is to Deny Reality.

Last edited:

Aww comeon Syrenn. Don't be a pundit apologist. They decieved us on the location.

Who are the "they" that called it a mosque?

I was next to the world trade center site on Friday. One block away and around the corner you'd never know it was there.

Aww comeon Syrenn. Don't be a pundit apologist. They decieved us on the location.

I have never been under any allusions on where the location of the mosque is. No one has deceived me.

I have never been under any allusions on where the location of the mosque is. No one has deceived me.

None of the threads on here titled like "mosque at ground zero" ?
or the online news chuinks I see titled the same?

it has been a coordinated effort of deception.

So a megachurch with services ONLY for Muslims. Distinction without a difference.

Cultural Center/community center/ Islamic Center...

They are all centered on islam and that means it's a Mosque, a Center for Islamic Community.

Whoopdie doo.

It's not a church it's a Center for Christian a Fundamentalist Community. Why would you not want that in Mecca?
I think it is fair to call it an Islamic Center. Whoopdie doo indeed.

btw, I'm not interested in Mecca. Saudi Arabia can go fuck itself. We are not Saudi Arabia.
You're thinking in a relativist vacuum... ignoring the rest of the world for your idealism.

None of the threads on here titled like "mosque at ground zero" ?
or the online news chuinks I see titled the same?

it has been a coordinated effort of deception.

At ground zero is not ON ground zero.

However in my opinion i would consider all of the surrounding area of ground zero......ground zero.

So a megachurch with services ONLY for Muslims. Distinction without a difference.

Cultural Center/community center/ Islamic Center...

They are all centered on islam and that means it's a Mosque, a Center for Islamic Community.

Whoopdie doo.

It's not a church it's a Center for Christian a Fundamentalist Community. Why would you not want that in Mecca?

btw, I'm not interested in Mecca. Saudi Arabia can go fuck itself. We are not Saudi Arabia.
You're thinking in a relativist vacuum... ignoring the rest of the world for your idealism.
Could be. I think the constitution is an important document. Funny to see that so many others do not.

It will have a worship center in it... Really, I dont care.

To me it is insensetive for muslims to want to continue on with their plans, considering the deviciveness of the "project".

Whatever happened to not wanting to offend?

Oh, thats right.... its OK to offend the majority. Who cares if over 70% of Americans in general are against it.

Just one mans opinion though
:eusa_whistle:

I mentioned in another thread I think it's a:

GLOATING CENTER

No one with any sensitivity should build a Mosque in that location, knowing what it represents, no matter how legal it is. Leaves one conclusion, they are purposely shoving it up our noses. What a disgrace if this comes to fruition. All with the blessing of this horrible president.

Could be. I think the constitution is an important document. Funny to see that so many others do not.
Oh, we're playing the religious freedom fauxrage?

Where's your protest against the removal of nativity scenes in the public square?

where is your protest for the removal of prayer in school?

Where is your protest for the resistance to rebuilding St. Nicholas Greek Orthadox church? The only church destroyed in 9/11?

Where is your protest against the removal of the Las Cruces WW1 monument?

Oh that's right, it's Christian. Your sudden stand on the protection of religious freedom seems... very selective and lacking any credibility.

I mentioned in another thread I think it's a:

GLOATING CENTER

No one with any sensitivity should build a Mosque in that location, knowing what it represents, no matter how legal it is. Leaves one conclusion, they are purposely shoving it up our noses. What a disgrace if this comes to fruition. All with the blessing of this horrible president.

:iagree:

Oh, we're playing the religious freedom fauxrage?

Where's your protest against the removal of nativity scenes in the public square?

where is your protest for the removal of prayer in school?

Where is your protest for the resistance to rebuilding St. Nicholas Greek Orthadox church? The only church destroyed in 9/11?

Where is your protest against the removal of the Las Cruces WW1 monument?

Oh that's right, it's Christian. Your sudden stand on the protection of religious freedom seems... very selective and lacking any credibility.
I've no problem with nativity scenes. I have a problem with taxpayer money supporting religious displays. ALL religious displays. It is unconstitutional.

St. Nicholas Church will be on Ground Zero, the Islamic Center will not be on Ground Zero.

People are welcome to pray to themselves in school. Schools are not allowed to force people to pray. It is unconstitutional.

No comment on the WW1 monument because I am not familiar with it.

Here's the way it is: I wouldn't protest any religion building something on private property. I would protest a religion building something on public property. Doesn't matter what type of religion it is...you are trying to compare apples and oranges and failing.

Doesn't matter what type of religion it is...you are trying to compare apples and oranges and failing.

Not at all. I am pointing out rampant hypocrisy. The Greek Orthodox church is NOT on ground zero in as much that their building was next to it, privately owned and destroyed from everything I've heard. Now suddenly the port authority is preventing the rebuilding of a traditional church on that spot and I see you have a problem with it. Did Greek Orthadox parshioners attack on 9/11? no. They did not. Wahabbists did and tey are repreresented at this abomination of a mosque in a place that is commercial, not residential and not a good location even according to muslims that live in the area. The man who's heading this up wants sharia law enforced on the US and you are blind to the implications of what this means.

ANYONE who desires sharia law in the US is a radical. Period.

Doesn't matter what type of religion it is...you are trying to compare apples and oranges and failing.
Not at all. I am pointing out rampant hypocrisy. The Greek Orthodox church is NOT on ground zero in as much that their building was next to it, privately owned and destroyed from everything I've heard. Now suddenly the port authority is preventing the rebuilding of a traditional church on that spot and I see you have a problem with it. Did Greek Orthadox parshioners attack on 9/11? no. They did not. Wahabbists did and tey are repreresented at this abomination of a mosque in a place that is commercial, not residential and not a good location even according to muslims that live in the area. The man who's heading this up wants sharia law enforced on the US and you are blind to the implications of what this means.

ANYONE who desires sharia law in the US is a radical. Period.
From what I understand, the GOC site was moved slightly to accommodate the WTC memorial. I don't have a problem with that. I also don't have a problem with any other religious group building something in the area.

I have a problem with any religious site being located ON Ground Zero. Except perhaps the GOC, since they were there before 9/11.

And yes...your comparisons are not valid.

Oh, and on the sharia law thing...I agree that anyone that wants to enforce that is a radical, just as any of many Christian groups that want to enforce their version of fundamentalism is a radical. In other words, they all suck...but you seem willing to accommodate one radical over another. :eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back