Is it a mosque or "cultural center"?

Luissa

Annoying Customer
Sep 7, 2008
TARDIS
Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich has claimed that the new Islamic center project “would be like putting a Nazi sign next to the Holocaust Museum.” Referencing that quote, Scarborough expressed angry disdain at Gingrich’s intolerance. “I don’t know where to begin,” Scarborough said. “To suggest that someone trying to build a tolerance center for moderate Muslims in New York is the equivalent of killing six million Jews is stunning to me.”

I think Mckinnon makes a pretty good point here.
McKinnon then chimed in, arguing that the debate surrounding the Cordoba House project is contrary to his party’s principles. “We may get our membership [by the GOP] revoked,” McKinnon joked. “Screw ‘em,” Scarborough responded. McKinnon then said that the GOP’s stance is “reinforcing al Qaeda’s message”:

McKINNON: Usually Republicans are forthright in defending the Constitution. And here we are, reinforcing al Qaeda’s message that we’re at war with Muslims. So we’ve got this issue; then we’ve got the 14th Amendment issue, where Republicans are saying you’re not welcome here, when we were the architects of the 14th Amendment. So, I see a bad pattern where we’re headed as a Republican Party.

McKinnon said he believed President Obama has “done the right thing in stepping forward at this time on this issue.” He added, “Tolerance means tolerating things you don’t like, especially when you don’t like them. … I respect the President for making this move.” Watch it:

Think Progress Former Bush Adviser Mark McKinnon Rips GOP?s Stance On Mosque: ?We?re Reinforcing Al Qaeda?s Message?

Wonder how many DemonRats will support muslims "wiping Israel off the face of the earth."?

Probably all of them.

Wonder how many DemonRats will support muslims "wiping Israel off the face of the earth."?

Probably all of them.

are we talking about democrats in this thread? No, we are talking about two republicans.

Okay folks, all this noise about a Islamic Cultural Center (which includes a mosque) being "too close" to Ground Zero in New York is just (yet another) political football for the upcoming elections. There's been a functioning mosque in that exact same area for the last 40 years! So Peter King, Newt Gingrich, and all the neocon punditry can go blow smoke up each other's butts...unles they're willing to publically call for the elimination of ALL mosques within a certain radius of Ground Zero or admit they're wrong or just shut the hell up.

The majority of people who support all this hoop-la wouldn't know a muslim if they tripped over one.....it's all misplaced revenge feelings. Understandable, but not rational all logical. And all this stuff about the iman behind this being terrorist linked is interesting, being that the guy was the Bush administration's point man for relations right after 9/11. Gee, I wouldn't hold my breath to see if all involved with that will say they made a mistake.

I said this a few years ago, and I'll say it again...where was all this public angst and call for examinations and shut downs of churches and organizations when Tim McVeigh and company layed waste to 300 people in Oklahoma City? What you did have was a concerted effort to ensure the crime was by individuals that weren't representations of established institutions by the media, politicians and law enforcement.

Come on, America...get your act together.

Okay folks, all this noise about a Islamic Cultural Center (which includes a mosque) being "too close" to Ground Zero in New York is just (yet another) political football for the upcoming elections. There's been a functioning mosque in that exact same area for the last 40 years! So Peter King, Newt Gingrich, and all the neocon punditry can go blow smoke up each other's butts...unles they're willing to publically call for the elimination of ALL mosques within a certain radius of Ground Zero or admit they're wrong or just shut the hell up.

The majority of people who support all this hoop-la wouldn't know a muslim if they tripped over one.....it's all misplaced revenge feelings. Understandable, but not rational all logical. And all this stuff about the iman behind this being terrorist linked is interesting, being that the guy was the Bush administration's point man for relations right after 9/11. Gee, I wouldn't hold my breath to see if all involved with that will say they made a mistake.

I said this a few years ago, and I'll say it again...where was all this public angst and call for examinations and shut downs of churches and organizations when Tim McVeigh and company layed waste to 300 people in Oklahoma City? What you did have was a concerted effort to ensure the crime was by individuals that weren't representations of established institutions by the media, politicians and law enforcement.

And where are you every Christmas when the libturds try to shut down Christmas?

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich has claimed that the new Islamic center project “would be like putting a Nazi sign next to the Holocaust Museum.” Referencing that quote, Scarborough expressed angry disdain at Gingrich’s intolerance. “I don’t know where to begin,” Scarborough said. “To suggest that someone trying to build a tolerance center for moderate Muslims in New York is the equivalent of killing six million Jews is stunning to me.”

I think Mckinnon makes a pretty good point here.
McKinnon then chimed in, arguing that the debate surrounding the Cordoba House project is contrary to his party’s principles. “We may get our membership [by the GOP] revoked,” McKinnon joked. “Screw ‘em,” Scarborough responded. McKinnon then said that the GOP’s stance is “reinforcing al Qaeda’s message”:

McKINNON: Usually Republicans are forthright in defending the Constitution. And here we are, reinforcing al Qaeda’s message that we’re at war with Muslims. So we’ve got this issue; then we’ve got the 14th Amendment issue, where Republicans are saying you’re not welcome here, when we were the architects of the 14th Amendment. So, I see a bad pattern where we’re headed as a Republican Party.

McKinnon said he believed President Obama has “done the right thing in stepping forward at this time on this issue.” He added, “Tolerance means tolerating things you don’t like, especially when you don’t like them. … I respect the President for making this move.” Watch it:

Think Progress Former Bush Adviser Mark McKinnon Rips GOP?s Stance On Mosque: ?We?re Reinforcing Al Qaeda?s Message?

Ah, more spew about how we deserve the violence directed at us, and we should just roll over in front of Islam aggression, or be labeled as bigots.

Unmitigated pigshit, and McKinnon hopefully will be ousted.

How odd. I was fairly sure the building was an old Burlington Coat Factory structure.

So what are you thoughts. Is this thing they are building near ground zero in NYC a mosque or a "cultural center"

If they are looking for tax exemption for religious reasons, then it is a MOSQUE without a question or doubt. In my opinion it is a mosque.

If it is truly a "cultural center" will the women be barred from mixing with men? Will American women be required to "dress modestly" when inside? Will women be allowed to enter without a male companion? Will they sell burkas in the cultural shop?

Will they share their ideas and customs of Shariah law.

Will they talk about cutting off women noses and having the husband saw off her ears?

Will they about their cultural views and punishments of "deviant" sexual behavior?

Will they share cultural tolerance of other religions?

I think it's a mosque and a cultural center. It is supposed to be 15 stories high when completed, syrenn...not all that space can be dedicated to worship services. I have no idea whether they plan to require women cover their heads while inside, etc.

Used to be, Catholic chicks hadda do the same thing in a RCC church, yanno.

As I have shown in other threads, mosques around the world contain libraries, gyms, offices, restaurants, etc etc. This building is a mosque. PERIOD. If it weren't a mosque. they

A) wouldn't be arguing first amendment rights to build it
B) wouldn't be talking about tax exemption under the church exemption clause

And of course there is the obvious fact that the backers themselves were calling it a mosque until less than a week ago when someone figured out that the words 9/11 mosque pissed people off, and now suddenly it's a "community center."

Nope, it's a mosque.

So a mosque is not just a house of worship? Big deal. How many RCC churches have schools, meeting halls, senior centers, etc. attached? So do many other denominations.

As for filing for a tax exemption as a church, how the hell do you know what their Private Letter Ruling application says? Have you seen it?

So a mosque is not just a house of worship? Big deal. How many RCC churches have schools, meeting halls, senior centers, etc. attached? So do many other denominations.

As for filing for a tax exemption as a church, how the hell do you know what their Private Letter Ruling application says? Have you seen it?

The bid deal is that if it is a mosque....call the thing a mosque. Stop hiding and lying about what it truly is behind political correct words like "cultural center"

Last edited:
Well, to me mosque means "a house of worship". Do you really think there's a 15 story house of worship anywhere on Earth? I get that you find it deceptive because any denomination might have a cultural center, but only a Muslim congregation would have a mosque.

But I think everyone is clear that this building will house Muslim religious activities and related activities. I don't think there's much chance anyone will mistake it for a church, no matter what they call it.

Forum List

Back