Is Israel's 'Democracy' slipping away

Discussion in 'Israel and Palestine' started by alexa, Jul 19, 2011.

1. alexa

alexa VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Uri Avnery has long said that he believes the only thing which is keeping Israel still Democratic is the Supreme Court. Even it has little effect with things like house demolitions. I know that Israeli supporters like toomuchtime haven also argued that although this Parliament tries to interfere with democracy the Supreme Court sorts it out.

The question now being asked is could this boycott bill, be the thin edge of the wedge which leads to Israel curtailing the rights of the Supreme Court and then to a host of other laws beginning with NGO's which will see the steady decline in democracy in Israel

Israel on road to abandoning rule of law | Jews for Justice for Palestinians

Uri Avnery also believes Israel may be at the tipping point

It Can Happen Here! - Gush Shalom - Israeli Peace Bloc

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  2. P F Tinmore

P F Tinmore Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,929
    [​IMG]

OCCUPIED JERUSALEM, (PIC)-- The Israeli Knesset's Ethics Committee suspended Monday Arab MK Hanin Zoabi from all Knesset activities until the end of its annual session after Zoabi participated in last year's Freedom Flotilla, which was designed to breach Israel's siege of the Gaza Strip, Israel's Ynet has reported.

Under the decision, Zoabi will be removed from the Knesset until the end of the current Knesset session, which ends in the next two weeks, Ynet said.

The Knesset considered that her flotilla participation last year fell out of line with a ”Knesset member's legitimate freedom of action”, as the flotilla was ”intended to break a naval blockade imposed on the Gaza Strip as part of the armed conflict with Hamas”.

Zoabi was stripped of privileges she enjoyed as a legislator last July following her participation in the same flotilla.

MK Zoabi removed from Knesset over flotilla participation

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. alexa

alexa VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I have certainly read that there is a wish to deprive Arabs of the vote and to stand for the knesset and of course there was the business of banning Arab parties last time.

However just on the action of suspension I would have to say that we sometimes also suspend people, usually for disorderly conduct.

Suspension from the UK parliament - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I could not believe it when she had her Parliamentary privileges suspended. What sort of a democracy does that?

Balad MK Hanin Zoabi: PR Disaster in the Making?- Jewlicious Jewish Blog

The Supreme Court is the only thing holding the fragile democracy together by a thread. If it is taken over it will be downhill quick.

Supreme Court overturns ban on Arab parties from national elections -

Haaretz Daily Newspaper | Israel News

Edit: I did not make that clear. Obviously the suspension would have the same validity as removing her privileges. As she was going about her Parliamentary business it would not be proper to suspend. Are others suspended for similar. I don't think that happens.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  4. Monnagonna

Monnagonna BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16
    israel isn't a real democracy. A real democracy lets everyone vote, not just the ethnically pure.

5. JStone

JStone BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +258
    How are the Rabs doing in the area of democracy, hun? Not so well, even after 1400 years.

When will those ignorant camel drivers ever transition into the modern world as Israel has?

6. P F Tinmore

P F Tinmore Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,929
    The Palestinian government of March 2007 was the model democracy in the ME. Then the US came in and trashed it.

It was the threat of a good example.

7. JStone

JStone BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +258
    Haha, Jews used to be Palestinians, you fucking twit. Can't you even figure out who those pieces of shit really are?

8. CitizenPained

CitizenPained Dissident-Jude

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +138
    I'm glad Zoabi was punished. She broke the rules of the Knesset. That's what happens.

But I don't understand the OP. Israel is a democracy. The MKs were elected. They can always be kicked out next cycle.

You're confusing 'democracy' with the US Constitution. We have anti-boycott bills, here, too, and they are much harsher.

At any rate, in case you half twats weren't paying attention, Netanyahu has not ordered an oversight committee as was requested by Shas. I doubt anyone will be taken to court. Remember, this makes it so that companies can sue. It doesn't put anyone in jail or whatever.

The whole thing is politics, but you don't seem to understand Israelis at all. When they fight, they do it very very loudly. Who ever yells the loudest, wins. The law will be rejected.

Democracy is alive and well in Israel. Haven't you been reading about the tent protests, or do your Arab propaganda sites not mention that?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  9. Monnagonna

Monnagonna BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Stalin was "elected" also. If you kick out everyone you don't agree with and then let the rest of the people vote, that's not democracy. If you kick of people you don't like then hide behind huge concrete walls, that's not democracy either. You're all living in a dreamworld, thinking that Israel is a real democracy like the US, Canada, UK...

10. JStone

JStone BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +258
    If you fucking psychopathic suicide bombers stopped killing Jews, there would be no need to wall, stupid piece of shit.

Susan M. Michael
    US Director
    International Christian Embassy Jerusalem