Is Iraq is a “theocracy” or a “democracy”?

It is their business, not ours.

Over 4 thousand Americans dead, over 47 thousand injured or crippled, 3 trillion dollars gone, contracts and treaties making us pay for years.

Somebody made it our business, wouldn't you say?

Then how come we don't have any interest in the politics of, say, France? Cuz we sacrificed for their freedom too.... and, to the best of my knowledge, we don't tell them how to run their country.

It's not our business. We did NOT take their country away from them. We liberated it. Big difference.

You keep on whining about the Iraqi constitution. It is THEIR Constitution.... not ours. It is THEIR country, not ours.

We helped liberate France from Nazi Germany. We invaded Iraq.

You don't see the difference? We had treaties with France, not with the people of Iraq.

Besides, France didn't have oil.

I repeat...Arabs are blood-thirsty loons! The Kurds in Iraq know this as do most people in Afghanistan. It's time to get the H*ll out of the Middle East completely. I can't see how there is much more to discuss on this.

It is their business, not ours.

why is this always your cop out to avoid discussion?

Not to harp on this, but yeah, that's a pretty lame cop out. A lot of good folks died liberating Iraq. We have a vested interest in making sure that the sacrifice of our men and women means something. So yeah, its our business too.

Considering asymetrical warfare and financial interdependancy is all the rage now, pretty much everything is everyone's business. Its why we care about Iran's nuke program, South Korea's militant insanity, Pakistan's instabiility, Saudi Arabia's text books, China's lead paint, Russia's Mafia, and Greece's Junk status. Eventually all of this crap becomes our business.

• Thanks
Reactions: blu
Over 4 thousand Americans dead, over 47 thousand injured or crippled, 3 trillion dollars gone, contracts and treaties making us pay for years.

Somebody made it our business, wouldn't you say?

Then how come we don't have any interest in the politics of, say, France? Cuz we sacrificed for their freedom too.... and, to the best of my knowledge, we don't tell them how to run their country.

It's not our business. We did NOT take their country away from them. We liberated it. Big difference.

You keep on whining about the Iraqi constitution. It is THEIR Constitution.... not ours. It is THEIR country, not ours.

You don't see the difference? We had treaties with France, not with the people of Iraq.

We liberated the Iraqis from the rule of a tyrant. Just like we went in back in the early 90s to save Kuwait from Saddam. The rights and wrongs of the war, or the reason for it are beside the point. How Iraq chooses to run itself is their business, not ours. Otherwise, we are no better than the previous regime... imposing our will on other countries is NOT what we are supposed to do.

We liberated the Iraqis from the rule of a tyrant. Just like we went in back in the early 90s to save Kuwait from Saddam. The rights and wrongs of the war, or the reason for it are beside the point. How Iraq chooses to run itself is their business, not ours. Otherwise, we are no better than the previous regime... imposing our will on other countries is NOT what we are supposed to do.

Who said anything about imposing? You're right, we liberated the Iraqi's from a tyrant, but in doing so we not only spent valuable blood and treasure, we also took on a responsibility to advise, guide and protect Iraq. Walking away now, or simply saying "its their business" is akin to a parent having a kid and walking away.

So this "it's their business" bit won't wash.

Since they actually decided this through the democratic process I would say that they made it which was a much better situation than what they had before. Before they had a democracy but a democracy of one who was Saddam Huseign.

What do you actually propose we do about this? Should we tell them that this is the government you should have? That would make us no better than the guy we got rid of. I know it isn't what I would want to live under myself but does any of us have a right to decide what kind of laws someone else is to live by especially when it is of their choosing.

How is it different? They ain't islamofascist like Iran is.

Since they actually decided this through the democratic process I would say that they made it which was a much better situation than what they had before. Before they had a democracy but a democracy of one who was Saddam Huseign.

What do you actually propose we do about this? Should we tell them that this is the government you should have? That would make us no better than the guy we got rid of. I know it isn't what I would want to live under myself but does any of us have a right to decide what kind of laws someone else is to live by especially when it is of their choosing.

Give them time.

We imposed our will in Iraq. No one asked to be "liberated". One of their people threw a shoe at our president and the guy became a "National Hero". What does that tell you?

Give them time.

Considering that nearly a million Christians have been killed, forced to convert or chased out of the country, many gays murdered (conservatives aren's so upset about that), Women placed back into bags. - most unable to work, or even walk around outside.

I would say, "That time is now".

Give them time.

Considering that nearly a million Christians have been killed, forced to convert or chased out of the country, many gays murdered (conservatives aren's so upset about that), Women placed back into bags. - most unable to work, or even walk around outside.

I would say, "That time is now".

Mission Accomplished!

We imposed our will in Iraq. No one asked to be "liberated". One of their people threw a shoe at our president and the guy became a "National Hero". What does that tell you?

I think you'll find that the Iraqi people actually welcomed the downfall of Saddam. We didn't 'impose our will' but it appears that you want to.

I'm not interested in what some idiot did.... hell, I'd have thrown a shoe at Bush given the opportunity.... and I would do likewise to the messiah that currently occupies the White House.

My brothers - who actually served in Iraq - have Iraqi friends. Iraqis, like Americans, are individuals. I tend not to judge a whole country by the actions of some. Just like I don't judge all liberals but the actions of the drooling left.

Where the hell is that drool pump? It is getting pretty deep around this thread.

"Theocracy"? "Democracy"? There is no such thing as a true Islamic theocracy - Islam has no clergy or central religious hierarchy. Iraq is ruled by a kafir government that was imposed on its people under the auspices of foreign invaders.

We imposed our will on Saddam's regime because we didn't like the kind of government Iraq had; why would it be any different to impose a secular democracy on Iraq if we didn't like them becoming an Islamic theocracy?

from;
Constitution of Iraq - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"The current constitution was approved by a referendum that took place on 15 October 2005. The constitution was drafted in 2005 by members of the Iraqi Constitution Drafting Committee to replace the Law of Administration for the State of Iraq for the Transitional Period (the "TAL"). The TAL was drafted between December 2003 and March 2004 by the Iraqi Governing Council, an appointed body that was selected by the Coalition Provisional Authority after the Iraq War and occupation of Iraq by the United States and Coalition forces."

It appears that the issue of what type of government to have was put to a vote, and the voters in iraq chose to institute a theocracy, and did it by democratic methods.

ironic to say the least

Conservatives keep telling me the U.S. is a Christian Nation.

from;
Constitution of Iraq - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"The current constitution was approved by a referendum that took place on 15 October 2005. The constitution was drafted in 2005 by members of the Iraqi Constitution Drafting Committee to replace the Law of Administration for the State of Iraq for the Transitional Period (the "TAL"). The TAL was drafted between December 2003 and March 2004 by the Iraqi Governing Council, an appointed body that was selected by the Coalition Provisional Authority after the Iraq War and occupation of Iraq by the United States and Coalition forces."

It appears that the issue of what type of government to have was put to a vote, and the voters in iraq chose to institute a theocracy, and did it by democratic methods.

ironic to say the least

Conservatives keep telling me the U.S. is a Christian Nation.
The Cons want the US to be a theocracy. Look how successful that has been in Iran.

Who cares? Arabs are insane and violent. The Kurds want nothing to do with them in Iraq and most in Afghanistan despise them as well. We're not going to change them. They have been insane and violent for thousands of years. They bring nothing but carnage everywhere they go. We need to remove ourselves from the entire Middle East as soon as possible. We don't understand those kooks and they don't understand us. Buy the oil but stay out of their internal affairs.

Who cares? Arabs are insane and violent. The Kurds want nothing to do with them in Iraq and most in Afghanistan despise them as well. We're not going to change them. They have been insane and violent for thousands of years. They bring nothing but carnage everywhere they go. We need to remove ourselves from the entire Middle East as soon as possible. We don't understand those kooks and they don't understand us. Buy the oil but stay out of their internal affairs.

Yea, thank God Christians aren't crazy. Ask Fred Phelps.

We imposed our will on Saddam's regime because we didn't like the kind of government Iraq had; why would it be any different to impose a secular democracy on Iraq if we didn't like them becoming an Islamic theocracy?

That would have been better. If you are going to invade a country, kill hundreds of thousands, lose trillions. At least give them the government you want them to have, after all, you took away the one you didn't like.

Yea, thank God Christians aren't crazy. Ask Fred Phelps.

Arabs have always been insane & violent and we're insane if we think we can change them. The Kurds in Iraq want nothing more to do with them because they know first-hand how irrational & blood-thirsty most Arabs are. The people of Afghanistan feel the same way. Look at what the Arab loons have brought to their nation? Irrational violence is in the Arab DNA. It's time for us to get the H*ll out of the Middle East completely. We don't understand them and they don't understand us. We only want their oil. So lets buy their oil but dramatically scale back our presence in the region. This is the only logical way forward.

Forum List

Back