Is Ideology Colliding with Technology?

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
Technology Changes Things
By Jonah Goldberg for National Review
March 25, 2005

"Progress," G.K. Chesterton proclaimed, "is the mother of problems."
Whatever side you come down on regarding the tragic case of Terri Schiavo, this is an important observation to keep in mind.

Not too long ago I wrote a column about how technology changes the ideological landscape. To illustrate the point, I mentioned the attempt by a Maine politician to pass a law that would bar aborting fetuses that tested positive for the "gay gene." The effort was a lark, of course. But I thought taking it seriously, in a hypothetical way, would illuminate some of the ways in which technology can transform our ideological categories.

Many, many readers from across the country disagreed. "I don't know about you, Mr. Goldberg, but I try to be consistent in my principles, no matter how the circumstances change," was the general response from most of the dissenters.

This kind of objection is well intended but fundamentally flawed, as the Schiavo case makes clear. It is now likely that Ms. Schiavo will starve to death. While I think there are major problems with Congress's intrusion into this case, I also think her death is certainly tragic, and the Florida courts probably got this one wrong. But we would not be having this debate if medical science had not advanced beyond where it was, say, 100 years ago. Ms. Schiavo would have died before the argument was born.

http://www.nationalreview.com/goldberg/goldberg.asp

I think the point Goldberg was making in his article was that, although technology has changed and improved our lives in so many ways, it has also brought with it a whole host of new problems that force us to rethink and re-examine ideological views/beliefs we once deemed not problematic at all. In the broader picture, I guess it is as you say: the continuation of the clash between science and ideology.

Adam's Apple said:
I think the point Goldberg was making in his article was that, although technology has changed and improved our lives in so many ways, it has also brought with it a whole host of new problems that force us to rethink and re-examine ideological views/beliefs we once deemed not problematic at all. In the broader picture, I guess it is as you say: the continuation of the clash between science and ideology.

I think it causes drama, curiosity and introspection----we might be pretty bored without a conflict---this one just happens to be of our own making . :)

Forum List

Back