Is Homosexuality a Genetic Defect and if so Should it be Removed

spiked_drink.jpg

Is Homosexuality a Genetic Defect and if so Should it be Removed

I am sure there are those who think that we should be breeding the perfect human and it would seem steps are being taken to make this so. Would the alteration of our genetic make up to remove certain traits actually make us weaker or stronger.

Excellent question.

And let me expand on that question: How can we really KNOW if the removal or certain genetic traits will make us a stronger species or not?

We can certainly assume that we understand what traits we will need in the furture, but can we be certain that the traits we eschew now are in fact not something that this species needs?

I don't think we can, really.

What's more, the accessments of what are good traits and what are bad traits will be based on whatever mankind understands at that time.

And let's face it, mankind has been wrong about such things in the past.

I think there's much to be said for allowing the human genome to evolve naturally.

I don't have a personal view on this persee, I believe in removing ill health and disease but where does one draw the line. And not only that when we hear of these types of breakthroughs who is behind it and who is paying them and to what end.

Exactly

Do we remove colour of skin, hair, etc. who decides what we remove and would it really matter. We believe that the melting pot works but we don't have another model to use as an example so we go with that.

Yes

Will we in the end just manufacture humans as we would a car? Would we in the future go along to our human growing centres to "order" our offspring made perfect in our image free of any imperfection.

I have very littel doubt if mankind's technology gives us the ability to modify babies that we're use it, and if we do, I also have very little doubt that in the long run it will not be a good thing for mankind.

Is homosexuality, just as one example, really a genetic defect?

Or is it part of the normal pattern of the human genome...one which, at this time, we don't fully understand?

I don't know, but the point is I doubt that mankind is ever really going to know FOR SURE, either.

This modifying of the human genome makes me a bit nervous, folks.

Now I do NOT mean that gene therapy on existing individuals makes me nervous, but the thought that parents can pick and choose genetic traits they want their as yet unborn children to have certainly does.

I think that producing the next generation based on the tastes of the current generation sounds like a really bad idea.

To understand what about that possibility makes me nervous, review the tastes (in fashion for example) of previous generations.

Now obviously clothing fashions of the past have no effect on us, today.

But imagine that same kind of pressure to conform to the tastes of today being applied to the next generation's genetic makeup and I suspect most of you might understand what I'm talking about.

Last edited:
Gay people are gay, for what ever reason.

If God or nature (perhaps the same thing) wanted it that way, made it that way, leave a tender moment alone.

But most of us "straight" people are also on the narrow, and so gays will have to use their free will to will who they are in one hell of a tough fight.

Maybe this is a gift from God, after all, nothing in my life that has come easy was worth having, and perhaps it is the same with gender identity?

Perhaps gay people are here to teach the rest of us how to love when the loving gets tough?

Or not.

What the fuck do I know?

That is why I live and let live concerning sex.

You stay out of my bedroom and I will stay out of yours.

Unless invited.

It's fairly obvious to me that gay people have been with us as long as history can document.

A trait that universal isn't, I think, indicative of a genetic disorder.

And the fact that I don't KNOW if it is, is sort of my point.

Which genetreic traits that are common (but thought by some to be disorders from the healthy genetic traits) are REALLY disorders?

I'm not sure we know.

And if we don't absolutely positively KNOW, then eliminating them seems to me to be not such a good idea.

Which genetreic traits that are common (but thought by some to be disorders from the healthy genetic traits) are REALLY disorders?

I'm not sure we know.

And if we don't absolutely positively KNOW, then eliminating them seems to me to be not such a good idea.

Indeed, it may be a genetic leap of evolution.

God knows if I did not spend half my life chasing pussy I would have probably become Frogen the Great or wrote the great American novel and had lunch with Quentin Tarantino.

Instead I fucked a lot and got drunk. *And was a fucking superhero US military man*. (Only Charles Bukowski has ever turned drinking and fucking into art).

Anyway, leave evolution alone and let God work it out.

And in the mean time can we all stop being so mean?

Last edited:
Yeah, cause go's done such a great job up until now :rolleyes:

Well whatever is the author of the universe, be it random chance or intelligent design, it's worked out for us pretty well for the last six thousand years, or so.

So when it comes to messing with the human genome, I'm of the opinion that:

"First, do no harm"

is still the best advice to follow.​

This thread made me laugh out loud several times, when faced with the complex maybe humor is best. My brother is gay so I have a kind of unique view on this topic. I knew very early something was different but it was much later that it made sense. He is an artist and oddly many gays have artistic gifts that amaze. See the people here, even my favorite philosopher is gay. lol

Famous Gay People

An interesting question, 1 which I once made the mistake of asking.

It seems to me that homosexuality can and does cause problems for many people and if they wanted it removed from themselves or if a parent wanted it removed from their child it should be their right.

I know it's PC to jump up and defend homosexuality, but the arguments put out don't really hold water. What about pedophilia? It's been with us for a long time too, should we keep it around "just in case we need it later"? It also occurs in the animal world, I guess that makes it natural so we should keep it.

This is like that whole "consenting adult" argument that so many are fond of until you start asking those hard questions like should adult incest be allowed if both are consenting.

Forum List

Back