Is high speed internet a right?

No, but I do feel it's pathetic that millions of people (and businesses) in rural areas can't get reliable broadband access no matter how much they're willing to pay. Some things should be done not because they are a "right", but because they are the right thing to do. Rural access is one of those things.

Maybe they can't get hardwired broadband but then a lot of rural areas can't get hardwired cable either. But with wifi the norm these days, just about everybody can get some kind of wireless signal....AT&T, Verizon, or whatever, and it really isn't any more expensive than cable or some other high speed access that many of us use.

No, but I do feel it's pathetic that millions of people (and businesses) in rural areas can't get reliable broadband access no matter how much they're willing to pay. Some things should be done not because they are a "right", but because they are the right thing to do. Rural access is one of those things.

Maybe they can't get hardwired broadband but then a lot of rural areas can't get hardwired cable either. But with wifi the norm these days, just about everybody can get some kind of wireless signal....AT&T, Verizon, or whatever, and it really isn't any more expensive than cable or some other high speed access that many of us use.

I'm not sure where you live, but please feel free to come visit rural Appalachia and bring your wireless card. I'll give you directions on all paved roads and everything, honest. :eusa_angel:

Sounds like an opertunity .
You know band together , do the work , share the cost ,invest in the future.

I don't think I could go back to dial up.

I'd go batshit crazy.

Everette_Reuss3.jpg

First somebody innocently asks if high speed internet is a right and the next thing you know, somebody is feeling up your backside for a wallet to pay for a new government entitlement. You know, it's just like we say to the poor starving people in Africa: move to an area where there is food and water! Well...same thing for you unfortunates without high speed internet...either live with your dial up or MOVE TO THE CITY! Quit expecting me to fund your glorious rural lifestyle.

FYI
we were paying $29 bucks a month for broadband service in massachusetts, town of 6000....which was 400% FASTER than verizon wireless, at $60 bucks a month....100% increase in cost.

it is NOT cheaper, and there is no wifi connection here either...

the gvt made mandatory ALREADY for these services to come to rural areas, and thus the service fees paid by all of us with service, to get to those without it....this has been going on for over a decade, maybe 2....but the phone/cable guys STILL have not reached all of those without either, like me....and goldcatt.

FYI
we were paying $29 bucks a month for broadband service in massachusetts, town of 6000....which was 400% FASTER than verizon wireless, at $60 bucks a month....100% increase in cost.

the gvt made mandatory ALREADY for these services to come to rural areas, and thus the service fees paid by all of us with service, to get to those without it....this has been going on for over a decade, maybe 2....but the phone/cable guys STILL have not reached all of those without either, like me....and goldcatt.

Why that ain't fair !

First somebody innocently asks if high speed internet is a right and the next thing you know, somebody is feeling up your backside for a wallet to pay for a new government entitlement. You know, it's just like we say to the poor starving people in Africa: move to an area where there is food and water! Well...same thing for you unfortunates without high speed internet...either live with your dial up or MOVE TO THE CITY! Quit expecting me to fund your glorious rural lifestyle.

And just who's going to feed your troll ass if everybody moves to the city? :rolleyes:

Pay attention this time, every one of us has been paying fees on our phone bills, cable bills, etc. for decades as Care already pointed out - those funds are supposed to be set aside to fund rural access and services. So where is the money they should already have? And why aren't they using it?

FYI

Why that ain't fair !

it ain't! bwhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! :lol::lol:

i don't think it is a right.... i just want broadband here.....i had it, got a taste of it....and liked it! :D

And just who's going to feed your troll ass if everybody moves to the city? :rolleyes:

Pay attention this time, every one of us has been paying fees on our phone bills, cable bills, etc. for decades as Care already pointed out - those funds are supposed to be set aside to fund rural access and services. So where is the money they should already have? And why aren't they using it?

Theyr'e using it alright--just not on you.

Theyr'e using it alright--just not on you.

Let me guess, golf trips?

Should the access to the internet be dependent on your ability to pay?

A right is something based on what you can do naturally. You can receive something naturally from someone and give something to someone else. In order to get something someone else must freely make the choice give it to you. Your right to something exist in your right to receive and to give since that is a choice you can make over your own actions.

Last edited:
I was happy to get rid of our dsl and get cable. I don't think it should be a monopoly though. Quest has the phone service around here and our lines are more than 50 years old and unreliable. I've been trying for over 20 years to get them to put some new lines in, they put fiber optics in 1 block away but not down our road. Finally I switched to comcast for both phone and internet. The service is better..but it's pretty much a monopoly. I would like more choices.

Ame®icano;2094768 said:

Should we all own a Ferrari?

I want a Lamborghini. I decided a long time ago that if anyone ever offered to buy me whatever car I wanted, I'd pick the Lamborghini. Why? Because it's the most expensive car in the world and I can sell it and buy what I want and do a whole bunch of stuff with the rest of the money.

Ame®icano;2094768 said:

Should we all own a Ferrari?

I want a Lamborghini. I decided a long time ago that if anyone ever offered to buy me whatever car I wanted, I'd pick the Lamborghini. Why? Because it's the most expensive car in the world and I can sell it and buy what I want and do a whole bunch of stuff with the rest of the money.

You kinda missed my point.

By the way, most expensive car is Bugatti Veyron @ $1.7M, and Lamborghini Reventon is second most expensive @ $1.6M.

Forum List

Back