Is Hellfire A Bible Teaching?

Actually, one of the things found in the recently discovered Lost Gospels of Thomas is that eventually everyone is going to get out. It tells a story of him being taken down there by an angel and shown, and told that eventually everyone will come out.

And, you're right...........the Christians kinda screwed up the original concept when they re-wrote the Bible, because the Jewish faith doesn't recognize hell specifically, they look at it as kind of a place where you are purified by fire BEFORE re-entering Heaven.

As far as the current Christian concept of hell? You can thank Dante and his Divine Comedy for that.

Bullschit!!

Matthew 25:41 [Jesus speaking to people at final judgment], ...Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels.

Revelation 14:11, And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night...

Revelation 20:12, 15, And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life...And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Matthew 10:28, And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Luke 12:5, But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which AFTER he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him.

Matthew 18:8, 9 Wherefore if thy hand or thy foot offend thee, cut them off, and cast them from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life halt or maimed, rather than having two hands or feet to be cast into everlasting fire. And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire.

Matthew 25:46, And these shall go away into EVERLASTING punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

II Thessalonians 1:9 Who shall be punished with EVERLASTING destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power.

Isaiah 66:24, And they shall go forth, and look upon the carcasses of the men that have transgressed against me: for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched; and they shall be abhorring unto all flesh.

Mark 9:44 [speaking of hell], Where their conscience dieth not, and the fire is not quenched .

“There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day: And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores, And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores. And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried; And IN HELL he lift up his eyes, being in TORMENTS, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and COOL MY TONGUE; for I AM TORMENTED IN THIS FLAME. But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art TORMENTED. And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence. Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house: For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of TORMENT. Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them. And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent. And he said unto him, IF THEY HEAR NOT MOSES AND THE PROPHETS, NEITHER WILL THEY BE PERSUADED, THOUGH ONE ROSE FROM THE DEAD.”

Last edited:
Actually, one of the things found in the recently discovered Lost Gospels of Thomas is that eventually everyone is going to get out. It tells a story of him being taken down there by an angel and shown, and told that eventually everyone will come out.

And, you're right...........the Christians kinda screwed up the original concept when they re-wrote the Bible, because the Jewish faith doesn't recognize hell specifically, they look at it as kind of a place where you are purified by fire BEFORE re-entering Heaven.

As far as the current Christian concept of hell? You can thank Dante and his Divine Comedy for that.

Bullschit!!

Matthew 25:41 [Jesus speaking to people at final judgment], ...Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels.

Revelation 14:11, And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night...

Revelation 20:12, 15, And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life...And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Matthew 10:28, And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Luke 12:5, But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which AFTER he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him.

Matthew 18:8, 9 Wherefore if thy hand or thy foot offend thee, cut them off, and cast them from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life halt or maimed, rather than having two hands or feet to be cast into everlasting fire. And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire.

Matthew 25:46, And these shall go away into EVERLASTING punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

II Thessalonians 1:9 Who shall be punished with EVERLASTING destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power.

Isaiah 66:24, And they shall go forth, and look upon the carcasses of the men that have transgressed against me: for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched; and they shall be abhorring unto all flesh.

Mark 9:44 [speaking of hell], Where their conscience dieth not, and the fire is not quenched .

“There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day: And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores, And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores. And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried; And IN HELL he lift up his eyes, being in TORMENTS, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and COOL MY TONGUE; for I AM TORMENTED IN THIS FLAME. But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art TORMENTED. And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence. Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house: For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of TORMENT. Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them. And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent. And he said unto him, IF THEY HEAR NOT MOSES AND THE PROPHETS, NEITHER WILL THEY BE PERSUADED, THOUGH ONE ROSE FROM THE DEAD.”

Everlasting fire is a metaphor for everlasting death.

Everlasting torment is a metaphor for everlasting separation from God. The torment is separation from God.

This whole doctrine that you and others push is a misunderstanding of the entire bible.

Bullschit!!

Everlasting torment is a metaphor for everlasting separation from God. The torment is separation from God.

This whole doctrine that you and others push is a misunderstanding of the entire bible.
1) The church required infant baptism for a thousand years. After people began to doubt that a loving god would burn an infant in eternal hell and protested...the church stopped requiring it. The scripture is still there

2) The church hunted down, tortured and killed young women who had been accused of witchcraft for thousands of years. When ordinary people reali ed that there is no such thing as witchcraft the church stopped mentioning it. The scripture is still there.

3) The church tolerated and often accomodated slavery for thousands of years but when the "Free Man" concept began they shut up. The scripture is still there.

4) The church required the submission of women and kept them pregnant and at home for thousands of years but after the various women's movements demanded equality the church stopped mentioning it. The scripture is still there.

5) After preaching hundreds of billions of hell fire and brimstone sermons across thousands of years when the public began to reject the eternal flames concept guess what....the church began to say it was all a misunderstanding and translation problem so we now have a flame free hell. The scripture is still there.

6) The church has condemned homosexuality and been responsible for the torture and killing of enormous numbers of human's who were born a certain way and had to either hide their lifestyle or falsely reject it. This has continued since the gospel was first preached but now modern lifestyles have even accomodated membership for many homosexuals. The scripture is still there.

Religion is a man's game written by their own interests and and anyone who fails to see the truth in the conceived image of primitive mankind and the similarities to their conceived god which reflects their own weakness has either been brainwashed, is very ill informed or naive.

All religions are loaded with major bullschit but none so pregnant with it as the prophesied concept of Jesus and the eighteen months or two years of his ministry.

Bullschit!!

1) The church required infant baptism for a thousand years. After people began to doubt that a loving god would burn an infant in eternal hell and protested...the church stopped requiring it. The scripture is still there

2) The church hunted down, tortured and killed young women who had been accused of witchcraft for thousands of years. When ordinary people reali ed that there is no such thing as witchcraft the church stopped mentioning it. The scripture is still there.

3) The church tolerated and often accomodated slavery for thousands of years but when the "Free Man" concept began they shut up. The scripture is still there.

4) The church required the submission of women and kept them pregnant and at home for thousands of years but after the various women's movements demanded equality the church stopped mentioning it. The scripture is still there.

5) After preaching hundreds of billions of hell fire and brimstone sermons across thousands of years when the public began to reject the eternal flames concept guess what....the church began to say it was all a misunderstanding and translation problem so we now have a flame free hell. The scripture is still there.

6) The church has condemned homosexuality and been responsible for the torture and killing of enormous numbers of human's who were born a certain way and had to either hide their lifestyle or falsely reject it. This has continued since the gospel was first preached but now modern lifestyles have even accomodated membership for many homosexuals. The scripture is still there.

Religion is a man's game written by their own interests and and anyone who fails to see the truth in the conceived image of primitive mankind and the similarities to their conceived god which reflects their own weakness has either been brainwashed, is very ill informed or naive.

All religions are loaded with major bullschit but none so pregnant with it as the prophesied concept of Jesus and the eighteen months or two years of his ministry.

When you speak of the Church what Church is that ?

The most "error free" church in the world:

John 14

6) Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

That automatically condemns about 90% of all the humans who have ever walked on this planet. He's not my god...I don't believe in ghosts...holy or otherwise.

The most "error free" church in the world:

John 14

6) Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

That automatically condemns about 90% of all the humans who have ever walked on this planet. He's not my god...I don't believe in ghosts...holy or otherwise.

Not sure of your point.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P--Sxx5VjN8&feature=related]What do I know of Holy? - Addison Road - YouTube[/ame]

Is Hellfire A Bible Teaching?

No, but damnation is. Right wingers love "suffering".

Hellfire is a money raising strategy.

Yep, scare 'em with eternal damnation and they'll throw buckets of money at you trying to save themselves.

Why else do you think that the churches expect their followers to tithe, with the Mormon church not only expecting tithes, but REQUIRING them.

Guess who started it...the Jews. Back when starvation was omni important they came up with a scheme to sit back and gather 10% of the harvested crops of others. Religion's purpose to those who fabricated the idea was money and control. The fact that so many are still convinced of a hereafter proves they cannot accept their mortality and have egos so big that they are looking for a reward for which others do not qualify. Take away the brainwashing of each new generation's children and there is nothing. Maybe then the whole world can move on to caring for the ailing, starving and persecuted.

Last edited:

Guess who started it...the Jews. Back when starvation was omni important they came up with a scheme to sit back and gather 10% of the harvested crops of others. Religion's purpose to those who fabricated the idea was money and control. The fact that so many are still convinced of a hereafter proves they cannot accept their mortality and have egos so big that they are looking for a reward for which others do not qualify. Take away the brainwashing of each new generation's children and there is nothing. Maybe then the whole world can move on to caring for the ailing, starving and persecuted.

That is why God called the empire of false religion the great Harlot and will suffer destruction.

That is why God called the empire of false religion the great Harlot and will suffer destruction.

LOL....what all gets included in the "false religion" stuff

Like I said....you sound like a preacher. You know the things in the bible...which can only be proven by other things in the bible....fairy tales:

1) Mankind and dinosaurs on a boat till nearly four mile deep waters receded/evaporated

2) Big fish puking up live men

3) Men enduring a 1200 degreefurnace

4) Seas opening long enough for the white hats to pass then closing on the bad guys

5) Stone walls falling on command

6) Evil people being turned into salt

7) The sun blacked out by an invisilbe man in the sky

8) 5,000 hungry pilgrims plus women and children
being fed with two fish and five loaves then twelve baskets of leftovers collected

9) Virgin Birth

10) Healing leprosy by touching

11) Walking on water

12) Turning water into wine

13) Raising from the dead

14) Hanging a man up and bleeding him to death only to see
him rise again fit as a fiddle two days later

Last edited:

Like I said....you sound like a preacher. You know the things in the bible...which can only be proven by other things in the bible....fairy tales:

1) Mankind and dinosaurs on a boat till nearly four mile deep waters receded/evaporated

4) Seas opening long enough for the white hats to pass then closing on the bad guys

being fed with two fish and five loaves then twelve baskets of leftovers collected

9) Virgin Birth

11) Walking on water

I know you have a problem with things a normal man cannot accomplish and don't believe a being is capable of such things. But once you consider the positioning of planets,what it would take to get life going, the bibles archaeology finds,things mentioned that was not known until modern day science it's not so hard to believe such a being exists.

9) Virgin Birth

11) Walking on water

I know you have a problem with things a normal man cannot accomplish and don't believe a being is capable of such things. But once you consider the positioning of planets,what it would take to get life going, the bibles archaeology finds,things mentioned that was not known until modern day science it's not so hard to believe such a being exists.

The positioning of planets I understand...Einstein and NOVA explained it to me. As a matter of fact I said it before...I love this outright rejection of the bible and everything in it:

"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own--a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human fraility. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. It is enough for me to contemplate the mystery of conscious life perpetuating itself through all eternity, to reflect upon the marvelous structure of the universe which we can dimly perceive, and to try humbly to comprehend even an infinitesimal part of the intelligence manifested in nature." ~Dr. Albert Einstein shortly before his death in 1955~

What exactly is a soul?

Some one said it is the "breath of life"--exactly what is that and why does it flitter away if we starve to death or are drowned? Is it possible that this breath of life need physical stimulation to remain? Then how does it transcend this world if it requires the substance from this world to remain present?

I am only asking simple questions about the "Spiritual Mechanics". I find these claims about the soul abit fascinating.

What exactly is a soul?

Some one said it is the "breath of life"--exactly what is that and why does it flitter away if we starve to death or are drowned? Is it possible that this breath of life need physical stimulation to remain? Then how does it transcend this world if it requires the substance from this world to remain present?

I am only asking simple questions about the "Spiritual Mechanics". I find these claims about the soul abit fascinating.

The term soul as used in the Bible refers to a person or an animal or to the life that a person or an animal enjoys. Because the soul is simply life of a being, the soul ceases to exist after death. Plants are not described as a soul.

The spirit is either the breath of life or a spiritual being like God and the angels. God and the angels have the ability to take human form. The Hebrew term for spirit means breath. But yet spirit persons have a life force which is a spirit an unseen force.

Last edited:
What exactly is a soul?

Actually, the "breath of life" is actually the electricity that runs your body.

Your brain generates 20 watts of power every second it operates. If you can't accept that, then why do they shock a person whose heart has stopped?

The 1st law of Thermodynamics says that energy cannot be created nor destroyed.

Your soul is energy.

Your soul exists.

Whether or not you choose to acknowledge that is entirely up to you.

ALTER2EGO -to- EVERYONE:

Literal eternal hellfire is not a Bible teaching. The Bible holds out two possibilities for mankind: (1) eternal death, or (2) everlasting life, as follows.

"For the wages sin pays is death, but the gift God gives is everlasting life by Christ Jesus our Lord." (Romans 6:23)

As you can see from the above verse of scripture, there is nothing in between death and everlasting life. No mention is made of people being brought back to life for the sole purpose of literally torturing them in eternal hellfire.

Forum List

Back