Is Hawaii A US Colony?

Hawaii was first occupied by American servicemen. The queen was put into prison and lands confiscated from native Hawaiians. Japanese Americans were brought in to work the fields and factories.

When the vote for statehood was taken, the Japanese Americans outnumbered the Native Hawaiians 10 to 1. Hawaii was taken over by the US. Only in the last decade have Native Hawaiians that could prove themselves native were allowed to get their land back. Just like the Native Americans, the Hawaiians were never given the chance to say "no" to statehood.

Many resent it, but too few of the population to have any weight politically.It is a sad history that lies hidden.

Hawaii was a good supplier of sugar and an excelent naval base: Two things the US needed before the war. It became even more important after WWII as a naval base and radar base in the middle of the Pacific.

I was nine years old when Hawaii became a state and I had an aunt that lived on the big island. She was horrified by the treatment of the Hawaiians at the hands of the US military. This was a military coup backed by a seeded election. The state of Hawaii should still be the Kingdom of Hawaii with a reigning queen.

I greatly appreciate your above input. Paul Neves and his friends insist the Kingdom of Hawaii was never relinquished by Native Hawaiians. I suspected and stated earlier that those who voted for US statehood may have been immigrants, not the Natives. Thanks, again.

The monarchy was overthrown in 1898. By the time statehood was considered, the population of persons of Hawaiian (Polynesian) descent had become a very small minority of the people living there. I sympathize with them, because I am a native American whose people were eliminated and land expropriated. They are in a similar situation. But like the American Indians, the native Hawaiians are no longer of any real significance. They can cry all they want, but nothing will come of it. I doubt that many of Hawaiians really want to go back to a monarchy either. Probably just a small group of separatists not unlike the idiots on the right who keep wanting to secede from the union.

Hawaii was first occupied by American servicemen. The queen was put into prison and lands confiscated from native Hawaiians. Japanese Americans were brought in to work the fields and factories.

When the vote for statehood was taken, the Japanese Americans outnumbered the Native Hawaiians 10 to 1. Hawaii was taken over by the US. Only in the last decade have Native Hawaiians that could prove themselves native were allowed to get their land back. Just like the Native Americans, the Hawaiians were never given the chance to say "no" to statehood.

Many resent it, but too few of the population to have any weight politically.It is a sad history that lies hidden.

Hawaii was a good supplier of sugar and an excellent naval base: Two things the US needed before the war. It became even more important after WWII as a naval base and radar base in the middle of the Pacific.

I was nine years old when Hawaii became a state and I had an aunt that lived on the big island. She was horrified by the treatment of the Hawaiians at the hands of the US military. This was a military coup backed by a seeded election. The state of Hawaii should still be the Kingdom of Hawaii with a reigning queen.

I greatly appreciate your above input. Paul Neves and his friends insist the Kingdom of Hawaii was never relinquished by Native Hawaiians. I suspected and stated earlier that those who voted for US statehood may have been immigrants, not the Natives. Thanks, again.

The monarchy was overthrown in 1898. By the time statehood was considered, the population of persons of Hawaiian (Polynesian) descent had become a very small minority of the people living there. I sympathize with them, because I am a native American whose people were eliminated and land expropriated. They are in a similar situation. But like the American Indians, the native Hawaiians are no longer of any real significance. They can cry all they want, but nothing will come of it. I doubt that many of Hawaiians really want to go back to a monarchy either. Probably just a small group of separatists not unlike the idiots on the right who keep wanting to secede from the union.

While some native Hawaiians may not want to return to Monarchy years and some do not care about the injustice done to them, several like Paul Neves and his friends care; and they want to be left alone to govern themselves. I know of native Americans who have never forgotten. I also know of Mexicans who never forgot and have actually managed over the past years to take back Texas by means of gradual occupation.

While some native Hawaiians may not want to return to Monarchy years and some do not care about the injustice done to them, several like Paul Neves and his friends care; and they want to be left alone to govern themselves. I know of native Americans who have never forgotten. I also know of Mexicans who never forgot and have actually managed over the past years to take back Texas by means of gradual occupation.

Native Hawaiian here.

Paul Neves and his friends speak for Paul Neves and his friends. Just because you heard him say that "native Hawaiians" don't support being a part of the US doesn't mean that all, most, or even a substantial number of "native Hawaiians" are chomping at the bit to return to monarchy.

If you don't have any hard numbers for us, don't be surprised if everyone doesn't simply take you and Paul Neves at your words.

Here's a little cheat sheet for you: Every single piece of land occupied by any group of people was, at one point, taken BY FORCE from another group of people. There really aren't any nations without blood in the soil from the fallen, prior occupants of the piles of dirt and rock that they occupy. In Hawaii's case, there was very little blood shed during the take-over. Queen Liliuokalani SURRENDERED rule of the islands. Pretty sure she could be called a "native Hawaiian".

What's funny is that the people who are now called native Hawaiians, at some point, took that land over from natives who were there before them. There's an old Hawaiian song about it (as well as a plethora of historical records) about King Kamehameha's forces literally pushing the native warriors over the Pali (mountain). Obviously, the actual story's a good deal more complex with some fairly entertaining, if simplistic, old school military strategy involved.

Anyway, point is: If you're gonna demand regime change on behalf of some group of people, get your facts straight about the nature of the regime and, for fuck's sake, the opinions of those people. One guy's doccumentary doesn't dictate the feelings of "the native Hawaiians".

Native Hawaiian here.

Paul Neves and his friends speak for Paul Neves and his friends. Just because you heard him say that "native Hawaiians" don't support being a part of the US doesn't mean that all, most, or even a substantial number of "native Hawaiians" are chomping at the bit to return to monarchy.

If you don't have any hard numbers for us, don't be surprised if everyone doesn't simply take you and Paul Neves at your words.

Here's a little cheat sheet for you: Every single piece of land occupied by any group of people was, at one point, taken BY FORCE from another group of people. There really aren't any nations without blood in the soil from the fallen, prior occupants of the piles of dirt and rock that they occupy. In Hawaii's case, there was very little blood shed during the take-over. Queen Liliuokalani SURRENDERED rule of the islands. Pretty sure she could be called a "native Hawaiian".

What's funny is that the people who are now called native Hawaiians, at some point, took that land over from natives who were there before them. There's an old Hawaiian song about it (as well as a plethora of historical records) about King Kamehameha's forces literally pushing the native warriors over the Pali (mountain). Obviously, the actual story's a good deal more complex with some fairly entertaining, if simplistic, old school military strategy involved.

Anyway, point is: If you're gonna demand regime change on behalf of some group of people, get your facts straight about the nature of the regime and, for fuck's sake, the opinions of those people. One guy's doccumentary doesn't dictate the feelings of "the native Hawaiians".

I am not by any means demanding regime change in this discussion: I simply recounted the grievances of some native Hawaiians; and I have made that very clear through-out this discussion.

I believe if Paul Neves and his friends want to be heard, then they have the right to be heard. As per inhabitants prior to the forefathers of the Paul Neveses, I have not heard their grievances, else this discussion would be taking a different route. Meanwhile, I know of native Americans who have never forgotten. I also know of Mexicans who never forgot and have actually managed over the past years to take back Texas by means of gradual occupation.

Last edited:
"Meanwhile, I know of native Americans who have never forgotten. I also know of Mexicans who never forgot and have actually managed over the past years to take back Texas by means of gradual occupation."

Texas gained their independence from Mexico in the 1840's after a decade of war. What part of Texas has reverted back to Mexico since 1848? Where within the borders of Texas are under Mexican control? Even within Indian Tribal Reservation lands, which are supposedly sovereign nations, autonomy is constrained. Mexicans may be living in Texas, but that doesn't mean Mexico has any jurisdiction there.

Yesterday, I attended a very interesting lecture at the University of Houston, Downtown campus where we watched Temple Under Siege - a documentary addressing the grievances of native Hawaiians on issue of mountain volcano Mauna Kea. The guest speaker was Hawaiian activist Paul Neves.

Paul Neves introduced us to the Kingdom of Hawaii: "I am not a US national or citizen. The US seized our land through congressional legislation and desecrated our holy mountain where our forefathers are buried by turning it into a global observatory.

"There is no treaty between Hawaii and the US relinquishing our sovereignity.

"Our parents signed a petition in 1897 denouncing US citizenship and yet we are being colonized by the US.

"We are not an internal affair of the US government.

"We want to be left alone to manage our nation and govern ourselves...."

Until yesterday, I assumed Hawaii was a willing member of the US union.

Is the US illegally occupying Hawaii? A great number of native Hawaiians seem to be of the opinion that they are being colonized by the US against their wishes.

It sounds like they was to secede. Let them.

Yesterday, I attended a very interesting lecture at the University of Houston, Downtown campus where we watched Temple Under Siege - a documentary addressing the grievances of native Hawaiians on issue of mountain volcano Mauna Kea. The guest speaker was Hawaiian activist Paul Neves.

Paul Neves introduced us to the Kingdom of Hawaii: "I am not a US national or citizen. The US seized our land through congressional legislation and desecrated our holy mountain where our forefathers are buried by turning it into a global observatory.

"There is no treaty between Hawaii and the US relinquishing our sovereignty.

"Our parents signed a petition in 1897 denouncing US citizenship and yet we are being colonized by the US.

Is the US illegally occupying Hawaii? A great number of native Hawaiians seem to be of the opinion that they are being colonized by the US against their wishes.

It sounds like they want to secede. Let them.

I agree. "I am not a US national or citizen. The US seized our land through congressional legislation and desecrated our holy mountain where our forefathers are buried by turning it into a global observatory," says Paul Neves.

"There is no treaty between Hawaii and the US relinquishing our sovereignty.

It sounds like they want to secede. Let them.

I agree. "I am not a US national or citizen. The US seized our land through congressional legislation and desecrated our holy mountain where our forefathers are buried by turning it into a global observatory," says Paul Neves.

And without us, you'd be speaking Japanese and your land would have been seized by them and they would have an observatory on your holy mountain. Then again, at least it would be cleaner.....

Paul Neves and friends say: We are not an internal affair of the US government.

I wonder how different things would be for Hawaiians were they not colonized by the US.

"They are killing our sons and daughters and thousands of people in other nations in the name of freedom and human rights, and we are being enslaved right here as a State of the US," said Paul Neves

If not for the US Navy, they'd probably be speaking Japanese.

>>>>

Your ass better remain a state until obama leaves office. don'tyathink?

Your ass better remain a state until obama leaves office. don'tyathink?

Native Hawaiians do not care: They simply want the freedom to determine their own destiny. Remember they say they are neither US national nor citizen.

Forum List

Back