Is hatred healthy?

Is hatred always healthy?

• Total voters

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street
I recently stumbled across an idea expressed that hatred is always healthy and unhealthy for a slew of reasons. But the idea that certain types of hatred cannot be viewed as totally unhealthy astounds me. So I wonder, what do other people think?

ps, please do not say you hate me because it turns me on.
:eusa_pray:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Semi-protected
"Hate" redirects here. For other uses, see Hate (disambiguation).
"Hates" redirects here. For the German singer, see Adrian Hates.

Hatred or hate is a word that describes intense feelings of dislike. It can be used in a wide variety of contexts, from hatred of inanimate objects (e.g. homework, vegetables) to hatred of other people, or even groups of people. Philosophers have offered many influential definitions of hatred. Rene Descartes viewed hate as an awareness that something is bad, combined with an urge to withdraw from it. Baruch Spinoza defined hate as a type of pain that is due to an external cause. Aristotle viewed hate as a desire for the annihilation of an object that is incurable by time. Finally, David Hume believed that hate is an irreducible feeling that is not definable at all.[1]

In psychology, Sigmund Freud defined hate as an ego state that wishes to destroy the source of its unhappiness[2]. In a more contemporary definition, the Penguin Dictionary of Psychology defines hate as a "deep, enduring, intense emotion expressing animosity, anger, and hostility towards a person, group, or object."[3] Because hatred is believed to be long-lasting, many psychologists consider it to be more of an attitude or disposition than a (temporary) emotional state.

The neural correlates of hate have been investigated with an fMRI procedure. In this experiment, people had their brains scanned while viewing pictures of people they hated. The results showed increased activity in the medial frontal gyrus, right putamen, bilaterally in the premotor cortex, in the frontal pole, and bilaterally in the medial insula of the human brain. The researchers concluded that there is a distinct pattern of brain activity that occurs when people are experiencing hatred.[4]

As a kid I would say I hated things. And my mother always said to me "hate is too harsh of a word to use and mean." She said you dislike something or whatever very much. But you dont hate anything. So I cant answer your poll. I firmly believe what my mother had said to me. To this day (39 years of age) I do not use the word hate. And even in my thoughts I only dislike things alot.

As a kid I would say I hated things. And my mother always said to me "hate is too harsh of a word to use and mean." She said you dislike something or whatever very much. But you dont hate anything. So I cant answer your poll. I firmly believe what my mother had said to me. To this day (39 years of age) I do not use the word hate. And even in my thoughts I only dislike things alot.

that's pretty interesting

I always say I view political opposites as opponents and not enemies. Similar type of belief system.

Too many here and elsewhere are full of hate and venom, then they go and post phony shit when tragedies like the recent earthquake in Haiti happen...expecting to be viewed as nice people. MAkes me sad... :(

I hate your screen name. Just sayin... :eek:

I hate your screen name. Just sayin... :eek:

and I am amused by your hate for things and people here. :eusa_hand:

To hate someone or something, you have to be emotionally involved with them, or it.

I never get emotionally involved

I just don't care because apathy is healthier than hate

I recently stumbled across an idea expressed that hatred is always healthy and unhealthy for a slew of reasons. But the idea that certain types of hatred cannot be viewed as totally unhealthy astounds me. So I wonder, what do other people think?

ps, please do not say you hate me because it turns me on.
:eusa_pray:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Semi-protected
"Hate" redirects here. For other uses, see Hate (disambiguation).
"Hates" redirects here. For the German singer, see Adrian Hates.

Hatred or hate is a word that describes intense feelings of dislike. It can be used in a wide variety of contexts, from hatred of inanimate objects (e.g. homework, vegetables) to hatred of other people, or even groups of people. Philosophers have offered many influential definitions of hatred. Rene Descartes viewed hate as an awareness that something is bad, combined with an urge to withdraw from it. Baruch Spinoza defined hate as a type of pain that is due to an external cause. Aristotle viewed hate as a desire for the annihilation of an object that is incurable by time. Finally, David Hume believed that hate is an irreducible feeling that is not definable at all.[1]

In psychology, Sigmund Freud defined hate as an ego state that wishes to destroy the source of its unhappiness[2]. In a more contemporary definition, the Penguin Dictionary of Psychology defines hate as a "deep, enduring, intense emotion expressing animosity, anger, and hostility towards a person, group, or object."[3] Because hatred is believed to be long-lasting, many psychologists consider it to be more of an attitude or disposition than a (temporary) emotional state.

The neural correlates of hate have been investigated with an fMRI procedure. In this experiment, people had their brains scanned while viewing pictures of people they hated. The results showed increased activity in the medial frontal gyrus, right putamen, bilaterally in the premotor cortex, in the frontal pole, and bilaterally in the medial insula of the human brain. The researchers concluded that there is a distinct pattern of brain activity that occurs when people are experiencing hatred.[4]
I think hatred is natural and feeling it is part of being human. To deny you feel it is unhealthy and to allow it to wreak havoc with your reasoning is also unhealthy.
Same way that I feel about love.

Hate is never good, and learning to turn the other cheek, or forgive your enemies, or never return a bad turn for a bad turn is one of the most difficult and rewarding things I've learned in the last few years.

Forum List

Back