Is Google bad for students?

I googled several including: obama 2001 radio constitution. So if any of the above links are there, I did something wrong with the search.

You most likely googled the wrong thing, but it's good to see you admit you least used google incorrectly.

And what did I use in the search engine? The exact words you used in the post expressing your anger.

Obama gave a radio address in 2001

Go ahead and put that exactly in the search engine and look at the first two pages.

Well those were the words googled this morning, among others. So some mistake on my part.

Interesting that from what I've read so far from you links, they come back to the bastion of the right wing, FOX News, some irony there.

BTW, if you look back on my posts, many times I've said I was wrong. Darn it, sometimes I just am.

Well those were the words googled this morning, among others. So some mistake on my part.

Interesting that from what I've read so far from you links, they come back to the bastion of the right wing, FOX News, some irony there.

BTW, if you look back on my posts, many times I've said I was wrong. Darn it, sometimes I just am.

Well FOX news must of had a newsday with it which is why it keeps going back to them. I saw a NY times, LA times, Washington Post, ABC, and a couple of other news media posts though.

Anything that exposes kids to all the facts they want is a good thing. Another crack in the wall of ignorance. The fewer ignorant people, the fewer Republicans. Double score!

It is still up to teachers to teach them critical thinking, which American teachers actually do better than their foreign counterparts.

Yes, critical thinking is taught using Bloom's Taxonomy in my school. We have the steps posted in our rooms, and it leads to helping the student understand the higher order thinking skills needed in the classroom and on tests.

Staying on topic of the thread, when I typed in Blooms Taxonomy in my Google bar, this was at the top of the page:

Bloom's Taxonomy

Yes, critical thinking is taught using Bloom's Taxonomy in my school. We have the steps posted in our rooms, and it leads to helping the student understand the higher order thinking skills needed in the classroom and on tests.

Staying on topic of the thread, when I typed in Blooms Taxonomy in my Google bar, this was at the top of the page:

Bloom's Taxonomy

Wow, not Wiki? Shockers!

I think Google and the internet in general are great for students. Where I lived we had a crap library. If that had been the only source of information I don't think I would have learned as much as I did, which admittedly wasn't that much, but I learned a lot more from the internet than just what the school was teaching. I was able to read a lot of stuff I wouldn't have normally been exposed to. Yes, some of it was "bad", that bad stuff you're all so worried will permanently scar the children (think goatse here), but somehow I lived through it and even still turned out mostly conservative with a few uppity ideas about women's rights. Go figure. :tongue:

The problem is they don't learn how to understand or utilize the information if they don't have to work for it. Most just copy and paste from what I have seen, and many brag about cheating on tests successfully instead of actually knowing the answers.

Perhaps assessment methods need to be tuned up?

Bloom's Taxonomy

No Affective domain?

Extremly bad, as there is so much misinformation on the net, even when sources are offered.

This thread has an example, some fool here thinks Republicans are 'bad' as compared to Democrats, when they are essentially the same thing.

That is a classic example of the non learning process brought about in a google world, to that poster those who are not of his politcal group are 'bad' or 'misinformed' whereas they believe they are a font of knowledge. You can take it as an axiom that people who claim to be smart or know more are in fact both insecure and quite limited intellectually.

Extremly bad, as there is so much misinformation on the net, even when sources are offered.

This thread has an example, some fool here thinks Republicans are 'bad' as compared to Democrats, when they are essentially the same thing.

That is a classic example of the non learning process brought about in a google world, to that poster those who are not of his politcal group are 'bad' or 'misinformed' whereas they believe they are a font of knowledge. You can take it as an axiom that people who claim to be smart or know more are in fact both insecure and quite limited intellectually.

I refuse to take an assertion about something as being axiomatic. For it to be axiomatic I need to see a pile of evidence from many varied sources. Then I'll consider it :D

The internet is the greatest innovative technology for education since then invention of moveable type.

But just as books can mislead and misinform, so too can the sites on the internet.

That's what EDUCATORS ARE FOR, folks.

To help students separate the wheat from the chafe.

Mankind has must begun to make the investments it needs to make the net a tool of education.

Bang for the buck-wise no investment is every going to give us a return like the net can in edcuation, believe me.

Now all we need to do is convince our legislators to make those investments wisely instead of investing in pork projects like they seem to be doing now on the net.

Editec (and everyone else),

It's true that the power lies in the educators (who need to be given the power by the DOE and Obama, in my opinion). But what do they do with that power? Do you think teachers are adequately informed of what makes a good website/what makes a bad website?

What I'm hoping is that Obama (don't know how much he knows about the vast Web either) will implement a curriculum for all teaching schools so that teachers can be savvy and in-the-know when they leave school and start teaching. Then, they can use this knowledge to implement an online literacy course that can really impact the way today's young people are using the Internet.

My passion is in helping people realize how much quality stuff is online - and how sometimes it's much harder to find because it isn't on Google. This doesn't mean it's not worthwhile, it's just the nature of search engines. Fortunately I've had the time, patience, and professional freedom to become a savvy Internet user; I do it for a living. But not everyone has this opportunity. Education (for kids and adults) is the best way to make this happen.

You can test out a new search engine my company has been developing. I call it a "research engine" because it's for searching important and complex topics, say for a health problem or a school assignment. It's at XXXXX. Tell all the kids and parents you know!

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum List

Back