Is Google bad for students?

Discussion in 'Education' started by wolfparade, Jan 19, 2009.

1. wolfparade

wolfparade Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Disclaimer: I work for a website that hopes to make online research easier and more fruitful for students.

I'm wondering what people in this topic think about education and the Internet. For librarians, parents and teachers, are you comfortable with your kids doing a research project using Google? Do they find worthwhile results? Wikipedia so often comes up first in Google. Does this make you cringe, or do you think it's OK?

What are some good websites that you direct kids and adults to, whether you're a parent, teacher, librarian, or just a web-savvy person?

2. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    I don't see Google as being anything other than a big index system. It's neutral (well except for its methods of getting revenue but that's another issue). What is important is teaching children how to critically evaluate websites. A rubbish website is analogous to a rubbish book, children have to develop the ability to spot the crap.

Wikipedia - I don't understand the disdain some people have. It's open, yes, sometimes it's abused but it's a very useful resource. Again I'd be teaching students critical appraisal and to use the included links to springboard off to other points of inquiry.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Actually, Google and any access to a computer is bad for students ... it causes them to think less but accomplish more. Thus they are use to cheating and not having to process information as well. Thus one reason many students are now "dumb as bricks."

4. Modbert

Modbert Daydream Believer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    Exactly right on the money Diuretic. Wikipedia offers many links that are sometimes hard to find elsewhere and I myself have gotten plenty of information from them.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I will allow my students to use a wiki in order to find 'authoritative sources'. Meaning with an author that has creds listed. Wikipedia is a jumping off place, not a destination.

6. Modbert

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    However, it is a good place if you want basic information or facts.

All the time people talk about how Wikipedia is bad, inaccurate,etc but I've never seen such a thing on Wikipedia.

7. HelloDollyLlama

HelloDollyLlama Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Anything that exposes kids to all the facts they want is a good thing. Another crack in the wall of ignorance. The fewer ignorant people, the fewer Republicans. Double score!

It is still up to teachers to teach them critical thinking, which American teachers actually do better than their foreign counterparts.

8. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    The problem is they don't learn how to understand or utilize the information if they don't have to work for it. Most just copy and paste from what I have seen, and many brag about cheating on tests successfully instead of actually knowing the answers.

9. wolfparade

wolfparade Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But how do you KNOW? Students can't know on their own whether "facts" in Wikipedia are facts or fiction.

10. Modbert

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    No different then any other website.

I could give you a Liberal website and a Conservative website on the 2008 election and analysis of it. Which side on each website do you think is going to be painted better?