Is going to try and give up alcohol in the new year

And for a change I'm gonna really try and stick to it.

Good luck. Are you getting any professional help to do it? People almost never succeed when they attempt it alone.

AA, as someone suggested. Or a doctor. Or a church. Or a combination thereof.

If you are given medication to help, be careful. Antidepressants are shots in the dark. A doctor will give you one and then wait to see what happens. Sometimes they work, sometimes they do nothing, and sometimes they make you worse.

Whatever the case, don't try to quit drinking on your own. Get help.

And let us know how you are doing.

"One day at a time", as they say. Don't think about the long term. Just think about not drinking today.

She didnt say she was an alcoholic. Some people feel guilty for getting drunk a couple times a month

She didnt say she was an alcoholic. Some people feel guilty for getting drunk a couple times a month
She doesn't have to be an "alcoholic" to go to AA. The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking.

The AA Preamble

Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problemand help other to recover from alcoholism. The only requirement for AA membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for AA membership; we are self supporting through our own contributions. AA is not allied with any sect, denomination or politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy, neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and to help other alcoholics achieve sobriety.​

Whatever works for you, as long as you don't infringe on others, is okay by me. I wish you good luck.

For purposes of discussion however, why not simply moderate your alcohol intake? There is not only nothing wrong with a "few" drinks, it's good for your heart. Wine and beer, in moderation, are good for you. That's my only thought but if you can't manage to stop after a drink or two, I sincerely wish you luck in stopping altogether.

Start a journal today and list every instant you think about drink, note the time and try to figure out what triggered the urge. Don't give up. I quit smoking many many times, but only stopped once - 18 years ago.

H ungry
A ngry
B ored
I dol
T ired

Last edited:
Start a journal today and list every instant you think about drink, note the time and try to figure out what triggered the urge. Don't give up. I quit smoking many many times, but only stopped once - 18 years ago.

H ungry
A ngry
B ored
I dol
T ired

That's a great idea, I'm not an alky, but I do drink once or twice a week, and I do like to have a good drink , but usually it affects my sleep and course you feel crap the next day, so I'm aiming to have no drink for at least 4 months.

Whatever works for you, as long as you don't infringe on others, is okay by me. I wish you good luck.

For purposes of discussion however, why not simply moderate your alcohol intake? There is not only nothing wrong with a "few" drinks, it's good for your heart. Wine and beer, in moderation, are good for you. That's my only thought but if you can't manage to stop after a drink or two, I sincerely wish you luck in stopping altogether.

If a person is not an alcoholic, that's one thing. But if a person is an alcoholic, moderate drinking is impossible, and that is the worst advice you could give them.

H ungry
A ngry
B ored
I dol
T ired

That's a great idea, I'm not an alky, but I do drink once or twice a week, and I do like to have a good drink , but usually it affects my sleep and course you feel crap the next day, so I'm aiming to have no drink for at least 4 months.

Then you're having more than just "a" good drink. You're getting a few sheets in the wind drunk if you have a hangover. Drunk to the point of a hangover the next day twice a week could be a problem. I think quitting might be a good idea, for your health, for your job, if you have one, and your family, if you have one. Nothing good ever comes from being drunk.

Good for you! I'm all for people doing what they wanna' do and making their lives better.

Maybe you could try giving up TV as well? It'll be a year in February for me and my wife.

Good for you! I'm all for people doing what they wanna' do and making their lives better.

Maybe you could try giving up TV as well? It'll be a year in February for me and my wife.

I would love to give up tv too, buy here in the UK thru the winter it gets very dark early in the evening and I hate to say it there's not much to do, I guess if I really wanted ti do something I would but its so much effort when you get in from work.

I don't always have a hangover but coz I don't sleep well if I've had a drink I'm always tired n sluggish.
I might start now and not drink new year.

H ungry
A ngry
B ored
I dol
T ired

Then you're having more than just "a" good drink. You're getting a few sheets in the wind drunk if you have a hangover. Drunk to the point of a hangover the next day twice a week could be a problem. I think quitting might be a good idea, for your health, for your job, if you have one, and your family, if you have one. Nothing good ever comes from being drunk.

I partied with this chick once that shit-faced off 2 smirnoffs. I had to babysit that bitch that night and the next day because she could barely stand. 2 fuckin smirnoffs. Didnt talk to her after that lol

Forum List

Back