Is Football Too Dangerous?

mudwhistle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2009
Headmaster's Office, Hogwarts
I did a paper on sports related injuries. Funny how the networks are starting to focus on this issue. I watched the Sunday Night NFL game and of course they made a point to focus on this issue instead of football.

Concussions are one of the most common injuries in Football. Hitting your head on the ground while wearing a helmet usually results in some trauma. I don't think there's any way they can completely reduce head injuries. They can minimize them but not eliminate them. Usually landing on your back results in your head snapping back and getting your bell rung.

I remember stingers when wearing some helmets and other helmets illuminated this problem. Banging heads with someone isn't as damaging as the noise. My ears would ring for a while afterward. It was always when I banged my head on the ground that I would get hurt the worst.

I still don't like journalists focusing on this because their business is to report the game not get into saving players from injury. The teams medical staff do that enough. Only thing that can be done is change it to flag football instead of tackle.

For Redskins, yes, it is. The Redskins fans are brutal...and seriously obnoxious.

"Go Texans"

Sure. Beat the Redskins and then gloat... I hope you get phone calls from 100 tele-marketers today!":lol:
I'm not all the big of a Redskins fan (understatement!). As with Notre Dame, any team playing the Redskins, I become a temporary fan of that team.

:woohoo:

It was a good game, too. (And, the only reason they beat Dallas is because Dallas gave them the win.)

They beat Dallas because Dallas is not the pedigree that everyone thought they were going to be this year, and Tony Romo is perhaps the most overhyped QB of the decade. He's e.f. epic fail.

For Redskins, yes, it is. The Redskins fans are brutal...and seriously obnoxious.

"Go Texans"

Sure. Beat the Redskins and then gloat... I hope you get phone calls from 100 tele-marketers today!":lol:
I'm not all the big of a Redskins fan (understatement!). As with Notre Dame, any team playing the Redskins, I become a temporary fan of that team.

It was a good game, too. (And, the only reason they beat Dallas is because Dallas gave them the win.)

The Redskin/Dallas football game was the worst football game I've ever watched on tv. High school teams have played much better games than either one of those teams played that day. Although I am a Redskin's fan, in my humble opinion, the "best" piss-poor playing team won that game. If I was the coach of either one of those teams, I'd be seriously chewing ass in the locker room at half-time and after the game. But I have to say this - anytime Washington beats Dallas, regardless of how the rest of their season goes, I consider them as having a successful season.

The Redskin/Dallas football game was the worst football game I've ever watched on tv. High school teams have played much better games than either one of those teams played that day. Although I am a Redskin's fan, in my humble opinion, the "best" piss-poor playing team won that game. If I was the coach of either one of those teams, I'd be seriously chewing ass in the locker room at half-time and after the game. But I have to say this - anytime Washington beats Dallas, regardless of how the rest of their season goes, I consider them as having a successful season.

It was bad, but it wasn't as bad as the Giants/Panthers 4th quarter from week 1.....yikes. It's going to be tough to be a Giants fan this year.

:lol: I have no doubt.

Now, to get to mudwhistle's post instead of quibbling over football teams... Football is an American tradition. It has been popular ever since it was first played on all levels of talent, i.e., jr. tackle, high school, college and of course, professional teams. There is risk in playing the game but in the whole scope of things, I think people are willing to tolerate the injuries for the sake of the game. I don't think it will ever be banned due to injuries to the players.

Now, to get to mudwhistle's post instead of quibbling over football teams... Football is an American tradition. It has been popular ever since it was first played on all levels of talent, i.e., jr. tackle, high school, college and of course, professional teams. There is risk in playing the game but in the whole scope of things, I think people are willing to tolerate the injuries for the sake of the game. I don't think it will ever be banned due to injuries to the players.
I agree.

Otherwise, other sports should be changed, too. Boxing and equestrian sports, for example, are both sports where head injuries are probably more common than football, but how one would change them to prevent head injury is beyond my creative skills at the moment.

I agree.

Otherwise, other sports should be changed, too. Boxing and equestrian sports, for example, are both sports where head injuries are probably more common than football, but how one would change them to prevent head injury is beyond my creative skills at the moment.

I think boxing is much more of a dangerous sport than football. Look at Ali. He doesn't know what planet he's on most of the time. Boxing is very brutal. I've never been a big boxing fan - not because of it's brutal nature or anything like that. I just think it sucks when compared to some other sports.

Everyone says look at Ali.

How's about look at how many Boxers are out there and compare that to 1 singular Ali. George Foreman, Sugar Ray Leonard, etc.

Ali suffers from a disease not necessarily brough on by boxing regardless. Also, MMA was made illegal in much of the US b/c of its brutality, but it's safer that Boxing in-terms of injuries to the athletes.

I think that on-the-job hazards are something the participants willingly accept, as a risk vs. reward measurement. It's like Alaskan King Crab fisherman. They die every season; however, the reward for said risk is obviously yielding plenty of employees.

i totally disagree...football is very dangerous....i have never understood why parents allow small kids to play this game...their growth plates are damaged and now they are proving the head injuries are much worse than ever expected....

i think people should not tolerate the risks in small children...would you allow your child to do anything else that could cause brain damage?

but in the whole scope of things....you are willing to risk brain damage in kids?

wait wait remind me again ....how this country 'loves' its children?

i totally disagree...football is very dangerous....i have never understood why parents allow small kids to play this game...their growth plates are damaged and now they are proving the head injuries are much worse than ever expected....

i think people should not tolerate the risks in small children...would you allow your child to do anything else that could cause brain damage?

but in the whole scope of things....you are willing to risk brain damage in kids?

wait wait remind me again ....how this country 'loves' its children?

You've got to take those studies with a grain os salt because there's a HUUUUUUUUGE gap of real tangible evidence.

See, if you've got a ton of friends who played all growing up, and their Dads all played, and everyone's 100% fine, you can't really buy into some statistics that don't even apply to you or your real life experience.

Everyone says look at Ali.

How's about look at how many Boxers are out there and compare that to 1 singular Ali. George Foreman, Sugar Ray Leonard, etc.

Ali suffers from a disease not necessarily brough on by boxing regardless. Also, MMA was made illegal in much of the US b/c of its brutality, but it's safer that Boxing in-terms of injuries to the athletes.

I think that on-the-job hazards are something the participants willingly accept, as a risk vs. reward measurement. It's like Alaskan King Crab fisherman. They die every season; however, the reward for said risk is obviously yielding plenty of employees.
[Emphasis added] Spot on.

I played Running Back, Tight End, Quarterback, Linebacker, Punter, Place-kicker, and Defensive End. While I played wide receivers were the most vulnerable. As a defensive player I felt I had an advantage because I got to be the hitter not the hit-ee. Running Back took the most pounding. Wide Receivers took the biggest hits. Bouncing off of guys was fun....it was hitting the ground that hurt.

I felt when I had my pads on I was invulnerable. I would fly around the field hitting everything in sight. Playing with reckless abandon seemed to keep me from getting hurt. The only time I got hurt was when I held back.

I did a paper on sports related injuries. Funny how the networks are starting to focus on this issue. I watched the Sunday Night NFL game and of course they made a point to focus on this issue instead of football.

Concussions are one of the most common injuries in Football. Hitting your head on the ground while wearing a helmet usually results in some trauma. I don't think there's any way they can completely reduce head injuries. They can minimize them but not eliminate them. Usually landing on your back results in your head snapping back and getting your bell rung.

I remember stingers when wearing some helmets and other helmets illuminated this problem. Banging heads with someone isn't as damaging as the noise. My ears would ring for a while afterward. It was always when I banged my head on the ground that I would get hurt the worst.

I still don't like journalists focusing on this because their business is to report the game not get into saving players from injury. The teams medical staff do that enough. Only thing that can be done is change it to flag football instead of tackle.

And you call yourself an American?! Your man card needs to be suspended for a while.

i dont care what adults do...but when you start kids out in pee wee football that is a bit much

gt watch real sports with gumbel..excellent on concussions and what is causing football players and soccer players to have "als'

hardly spotty research when they are studying the spines and brains of these players and finding they are the same...massive damage and leaking into the spinal column

I've said for 20 years the helmets are too hard. They cause more injuries than they prevent. They're like having a bowling ball around your head. ... Players should have something that absorbs energy rather than creates energy in collisions.

Forum List

Back