Is Football Too Dangerous?

Discussion in 'Media' started by mudwhistle, Sep 20, 2010.

1. mudwhistle

mudwhistle Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26,148
    I did a paper on sports related injuries. Funny how the networks are starting to focus on this issue. I watched the Sunday Night NFL game and of course they made a point to focus on this issue instead of football.

Concussions are one of the most common injuries in Football. Hitting your head on the ground while wearing a helmet usually results in some trauma. I don't think there's any way they can completely reduce head injuries. They can minimize them but not eliminate them. Usually landing on your back results in your head snapping back and getting your bell rung.

I remember stingers when wearing some helmets and other helmets illuminated this problem. Banging heads with someone isn't as damaging as the noise. My ears would ring for a while afterward. It was always when I banged my head on the ground that I would get hurt the worst.

I still don't like journalists focusing on this because their business is to report the game not get into saving players from injury. The teams medical staff do that enough. Only thing that can be done is change it to flag football instead of tackle.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. Si modo

Si modo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,703
    For Redskins, yes, it is. The Redskins fans are brutal...and seriously obnoxious.

"Go Texans"

3. G.T.

G.T. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,432
    Define too dangerous.

4. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,702
    Sure. Beat the Redskins and then gloat... I hope you get phone calls from 100 tele-marketers today!":lol:

5. Si modo

Si modo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,703
    I'm not all the big of a Redskins fan (understatement!). As with Notre Dame, any team playing the Redskins, I become a temporary fan of that team.

:woohoo:

It was a good game, too. (And, the only reason they beat Dallas is because Dallas gave them the win.)

6. G.T.

G.T. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,432
    They beat Dallas because Dallas is not the pedigree that everyone thought they were going to be this year, and Tony Romo is perhaps the most overhyped QB of the decade. He's e.f. epic fail.

7. Big Black Dog

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,702
    The Redskin/Dallas football game was the worst football game I've ever watched on tv. High school teams have played much better games than either one of those teams played that day. Although I am a Redskin's fan, in my humble opinion, the "best" piss-poor playing team won that game. If I was the coach of either one of those teams, I'd be seriously chewing ass in the locker room at half-time and after the game. But I have to say this - anytime Washington beats Dallas, regardless of how the rest of their season goes, I consider them as having a successful season.

8. G.T.

G.T. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,432

It was bad, but it wasn't as bad as the Giants/Panthers 4th quarter from week 1.....yikes. It's going to be tough to be a Giants fan this year.

9. Si modo

Si modo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,703
    :lol: I have no doubt.

10. Big Black Dog

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,702
    Now, to get to mudwhistle's post instead of quibbling over football teams... Football is an American tradition. It has been popular ever since it was first played on all levels of talent, i.e., jr. tackle, high school, college and of course, professional teams. There is risk in playing the game but in the whole scope of things, I think people are willing to tolerate the injuries for the sake of the game. I don't think it will ever be banned due to injuries to the players.