Is Femininity Unprofessional?

Anathema

Crotchety Olde Man
Apr 30, 2014
The Olden Days
On Thursday of this past week my employer, one of the largest Gas/Electric utility companies in the United States, enacted an internal policy indicating that female employees in Management (Senior Supervisor on up) are not to wear skirts or dresses (of any style or length), or footwear with more than a minimal heel height. These items of clothing are now deemed to be “Unprofessional” in the workplace or at any function where they are representing the Company.

Thoughts?

On Thursday of this past week my employer, one of the largest Gas/Electric utility companies in the United States, enacted an internal policy indicating that female employees in Management (Senior Supervisor on up) are not to wear skirts or dresses (of any style or length), or footwear with more than a minimal heel height. These items of clothing are now deemed to be “Unprofessional” in the workplace or at any function where they are representing the Company.

Thoughts?
your new boss looks at females like you do....

This is a Corporate edict and has nothing to do with my (male) boss or even the members of my department (we’re an all-male, Unionized group).

It does affect people in the building we work in and Management employees that I occasionally have to interact with. One of whom I’m told was sent home on Friday (I don’t work Fridays) for ignoring the new policy.

Some women are dressing up for work in skimpy clothing.

th
th

It's like movie studios that forbid workers from wearing make up. The make up artists can't even swipe a lipstick.

Check with your state and see if there are any laws against dress codes.

It's like movie studios that forbid workers from wearing make up. The make up artists can't even swipe a lipstick.

Check with your state and see if there are any laws against dress codes.

Again, it doesn’t affect me at all. It does affect some people I know but that’s as close as it will ever come to affecting me.

Thoughts?

Are they trying to go for uniformity?
Anathema

Instead of saying what is professional/unprofessional,
they could cite SAFETY concerns in walking around on
facilities where pants would protect the skin and knees
better than skirts.

If the issue is uniformity, the way other companies deal with this
is issuing company shirts that all staff wear with certain color pants.

I don't think "unprofessional" is the term to use here.
Sounds like a select few individuals came up with and wrote this out quickly
without taking time to consult others to help be more clear!

The only two groups Where I’ve ever seen anything like what you posted are not affected by this policy.

At this time of year we do see an increase in skirt-suits and dressed amongst our female Management employees; largely due to the lack of appropriate air conditioning and ventilation in many of our buildings; but I’ve never encountered any of these employees wearing anything I would consider improper or unprofessional.

The only two groups Where I’ve ever seen anything like what you posted are not affected by this policy.

At this time of year we do see an increase in skirt-suits and dressed amongst our female Management employees; largely due to the lack of appropriate air conditioning and ventilation in many of our buildings; but I’ve never encountered any of these employees wearing anything I would consider improper or unprofessional.

Thoughts?

They should have worn panties in the first place and none of that would have happened.

Thoughts?
LOL That is the EXACT opposite of the rules of dress in 1978 when I began working in a professional office. No flats, No pants. Stockings were NOT optional even when it was so hot and sticky you could barely pull them up over your knees at 7 a.m. I'm pretty sure our boss was a "leg man." He also admitted to one of the male employees that with the (ah hem) ample bottomed women in his employ, he dreaded the thought of seeing them in slacks.
Wow, have we come full circle.

I bet they have to ban skirts and heels for women to protect themselves from lawsuits when they claim it is unprofessional for men to wear skirts, dresses & heels to work. Its preemptive IMO.

I worked at a place where I was required to wear dresses/skirts and hose (in South Louisiana). That was 30 years ago.

Are they trying to go for uniformity?
Anathema

Instead of saying what is professional/unprofessional,
they could cite SAFETY concerns in walking around on
facilities where pants would protect the skin and knees
better than skirts.

If the issue is uniformity, the way other companies deal with this
is issuing company shirts that all staff wear with certain color pants.

I don't think "unprofessional" is the term to use here.
Sounds like a select few individuals came up with and wrote this out quickly
without taking time to consult others to help be more clear!

It’s not s uniformity issue and Pretty much all the people this affects are office workers who rarely if ever go out into the field.

It’s a Corporate decision, and somehow I get the feeling it has to do with their Inclusion & Diversity (I&D) organization which has pushed a very Feministic array of policies over the last couple years.

Is this a pre-emptive move to avoid possible harassment suits?

I doubt it. We haven’t had an issue with that over time. At least not during my 18 years with the company.
I'll betcha I know what this about; I'm serious.
There has been a kerfluffle over skirt length. Young women are wearing them short these days again. It may have caused some heated debate, and HR finally threw up its hands and said "FINE. NO SKIRTS THEN. PERIOD."
I'll bet you find out that's what happened.

This is a Corporate edict and has nothing to do with my (male) boss or even the members of my department (we’re an all-male, Unionized group).

It does affect people in the building we work in and Management employees that I occasionally have to interact with. One of whom I’m told was sent home on Friday (I don’t work Fridays) for ignoring the new policy.
ok....then whoever runs the corp.....has the same attitude toward females that you have....that better?...

When I was a college student, I worked at a manufacturing plant that made transformers -- the kind you find at electrical substations. In one of the big corner offices was a very beautiful , perhaps gorgeous lady that always seemed over dressed for a transformer plant. While others looked professionally dressed for a day at the office, she might be wearing a very formal dress, mink coat, and have her hair and make up done as if she were going out to meet Prince Charming at the ball. This really seemed out of place at 8 AM at the transformer plant.

I never found out what her position at the company was. I'm guessing it had to do with marketing/sales and that she was able to use her feminine assets to sell many transformers.

Forum List

Back