Is Faith In Jesus All It Takes?

Good questions Joe, you got me into my Bible this morning...that's always a good thing. :)

This is a little longwinded but I wanted to give my answers scriptural backing.

Is faith in Jesus of Nazareth all it takes to get to Heaven?

Can everyone who believes that Jesus' death on the cross paid in. full the price for their own sins go to heaven?

Can Mormons who believe in Jesus get to heaven?

How about Jehovah's Witnesses? If they believe does it matter where they go to church?

I've heard that JW's and Mormons aren't real Christians...​
:eusa_think: Is that true?​

I was told by a preacher that unless a person belonged to The Church of Christ, it didn't matter what they believed... NO HEAVEN! He said the Bible is clear in that regard.

Another preacher told me that most Catholics won't get to heaven because they pray to saints, which is "idolatry"... :eusa_think: Can this be true?

I can only go by what scripture and Jesus say:

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.". - John 3:16,

"Jesus said to her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believes in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live.". - John 11:25

Does God give a break to the billions of people who have lived and died without accepting Jesus as their savior because nobody told them the story? Is that an excusable reason to be a heathen? :eusa_think:

This is a FAQ, and the answer is not directly revealed in scripture but we can infer from what scripture does reveal...that God is compassionate (James 5:11, Nehemiah 9:11, Psalms 103) and that God is just (2 Thessalonians 1:16, Job 37:23, Psalms 9:16, Isaiah 30:18) and that God shows mercy (Deuteronomy 4:31, Nehemiah 9:31, Luke 6:36, Psalms 25:6) that those who fall short thru no fault of their own will have a oppurtunity for salvation.

Some may argue but I look to Matthew chapter 19 --

19:24 And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

19:25 When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved?

19:26 But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them,
With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Can people go to church, give. lots of money, say all the right things, and still not truly believe, thus ruining their chances for heaven?

Absolutely. The Bible and Jesus give many warning about just this kind of behavior. Especially concerning spiritual leaders.

"Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and the measure you give will be the measure you get.

Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?

Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when there is the log in your own eye?

You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye."

- Matthew 7:1-5

"Beware of practicing your piety before men in order to be seen by them; for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven.

Thus, when you give alms, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by men. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward.

But when you give alms, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your alms may be in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you.

And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by men. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward.

But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you.". -Matthew 6:1-6

"And why do you transgress the Commandment of God for the sake of your tradition? For God commanded, 'Honor your father and your mother,' and, 'He who speaks evil of father or mother, let him surely die.'

But you say, 'If any one tells his father or his mother, What you would have gained from me is given to God, he need not honor his father.'

So, for the sake of your tradition, you have made void the word of God.

You hypocrites! Well did Isaiah prophesy of you, when he said:

'This people honors Me with their lips, but their heart is far from Me; in vain do they worship Me, teaching as doctrines the precepts of men.'"

- Matthew 15:1-9

What about stupid people who just never 'get' it? :eusa_think:

See above, People who never heard.

What about a serial killer with a death-row "conversion"? :eusa_think:

Those who are last shall be first.

The Parable of the Workers in the Vineyard...Matthew chapter 20.
"The story that the Lord told was about such a vineyard, and how the owner of the vineyard went into the marketplace early in the morning to hire laborers to work in his vineyard.

He agreed to pay them a penny a day and sent them to their work. This was about six o'clock in the morning, when work should begin.

Again he went out about nine o'clock, and again at noon, and again at three o'clock, and once more about five o'clock when the day was nearly done; and each time he found more men in the market-place and sent them into the vineyard.

He agreed with the first workmen to pay them a penny a day. The penny was a little silver piece worth about fifteen cents, and it was a day's wages in those times.

At evening when the day's work was over the owner of the vineyard told his steward, the man who had charge of his affairs and his money, to call the laborers and give them their pay. So he called them and gave them each a penny.

The workmen who were hired early thought they should have received more, and murmured against the good man of the house, the owner of the vineyard, because he had given the same to those who had worked but one hour and to them who had borne the burden and heat of the day.

But the lord of the vineyard told them that he did them no wrong; that it was right for him to do what he willed with his own."

To me this means those who labor all day (their whole lives) for the Lord receive the same reward as those who only labored the last hour (perhaps literally).

EDIT - The first thought may be "well, that's not fair" but one who loves the Lord and his fellow man as described by Jesus in Mark 12:28-34 find joy in all salvation.

Inquiring minds want to know... :eusa_think:

-Joe

Last edited:
You might as well have faith in a potato healing all of mankind's ills, the odds are about the same...

Funny thing about the creation theory, you have to die to really benefit.

makes sense to me missourian...like any parent, they love their children the same...the saints and the holy terrors!

the parable of the Prodigal son, returning home after straying, given a party of rejoice by his father upon his return, while never having a party for his other son, who stayed at home and labored on his father's estate while his brother was galavanting around, having the time of his life....

the strayed son, who finally returned home, was cause for ''celebration''....

so, yes....someone can be given eternal life on their deathbed.

No, you have to DIE first.

Hell of an initiation requirement, isn't it?

Not true. At he end times some will live to be judged without having died first.

As to some of the original questions. Anyone that was never taught about Jesus will be given a second chance, they will be raised and taught and their decision at that time will determine if they become one of the blessed.

only 144000 are going to Heaven , the rest will be living on a paradise Earth ruled by Jesus and assisted by the 144,000.

Belief is not all, you must also make an honest attempt to follow the narrow path. While you may get a second chance with a death bed conversion you also may not, depending on how God Judges you at the end times.

There is no single church that is the "right" church. At least not that I know of. Deeds, actions and belief all determine your chance at eternal life on paradise earth.

And yes Mormons and Jehovah Witness are Christians. The requirement is a faith and belief in Jesus CHRIST. And both have that.

No answer?

Uhhh... Was there a question?

-Joe

Its not just faith, its also works, because faith without works is dead.

James 2:14 (King James Version) :: Forerunner Commentary :: Bible Tools

How do you know if the works you are doing are good enough?
Is that why Christians seem to fear death as much as the next group? :eusa_think:

-Joe

Read the Bible Joe, if one does the will of God they don't have to worrying about if their works are good enough.

I've read a lot of The Bible... I've understood little. Even various teachers have given me conflicting or incomplete pictures of "Gods will"... What is the "will of God"? If I don't understand it, will I fail in my effort to do the works required to keep my faith from dying?

How do I know what works to do? How do I know if I'm doing them right?

Can I know that I'm saved?

-Joe

Last edited:

Can everyone who believes that Jesus' death on the cross paid in full the price for their own sins go to heaven?

How about Jehovah's Witnesses? If they believe does it matter where they go to church?

I was told by a preacher that unless a person belonged to The Church of Christ, it didn't matter what they believed... NO HEAVEN! He said the Bible is clear in that regard.

Another preacher told me that most Catholics won't get to heaven because they pray to saints, which is "idolatry"... :eusa_think: Can this be true?

Does God give a break to the billions of people who have lived and died without accepting Jesus as their savior because nobody told them the story? Is that an excusable reason to be a heathen? :eusa_think:

Can people go to church, give lots of money, say all the right things, and still not truly believe, thus ruining their chances for heaven?

-Joe

Who knows? Man is a fairly self serving creature, and nowhere is this more the case than in the pettiness of the various Christian denominations.

All one can do is live one's life by trying to follow to rules that Christ provided and, when we fail, to genuinely regret our failings and ask forgiveness. After that, who knows? Nobody can see into the mind of God, or know for sure where he draws the line.

Thanks, Tiger.

Your answer is not exactly helpful to my overly analytical head, but it makes the most sense of any I've read so far...

What about Charlie's assertion that 'faith without works is dead'. Do you know how to tell if the works one does will satisfy God? Do you think a Christian can know that they're saved?

-Joe

So of all the souls that EVER EXISTED in human history, only 144,000 of them get to heaven.?

The other 100 billion which existed of us or so will exist on earth?

Okay, that's an interesting theory.

Why?

That's what happens when folks take the Bible literally instead of the allegory that it is.

Strollingbones: now there are a lot more questions you should be asking...i have to work today..so i got to watch the time

Smartt: Why would you try to answer questions that you have no clue about?

Strolling: why would a just and loving god pit abel and cain against one another?

Smartt: he didn't. The required offering was already defined, and cain did not follow the requirements. Cain got jealous, and killed Abel. Simple as that.

Srtolling: now here is cain working his ass off raising a garden while abel is watching sheep fuck. so who does god chose....abel the slack ass sheep watcher guy...why....o well...could it be....the people who write the bible are nomadic herders?

Smartt: you have some real issues... It is not about how hard the work is, it is about the work ethic.Cain had none.

Strolling: were adam and eve the only people god made or just the first people god made?
the answer to that question causes and solves many riddles..such as who lived in the land of nod..east of eden?

Smartt: That thing that liberals say Christians don't use, is something you need to use here. "Logic". It doesn't take a lot of work to figure this out.

Strolling: but this is all ot stuff.....remember the birth and death of jesus brings you the grace of jesus...that is what you should focus on...if you desire to be a chirstian...

now this is all advice from a pagan who has not been a baptist for a lot longer than you have been on earth lol

Smartt: Advice?

Is that why Christians seem to fear death as much as the next group? :eusa_think:

-Joe

Read the Bible Joe, if one does the will of God they don't have to worrying about if their works are good enough.

I've read a lot of The Bible... I've understood little. Even various teachers have given me conflicting or incomplete pictures of "Gods will"... What is the "will of God"? If I don't understand it, will I fail in my effort to do the works required to keep my faith from dying?

-Joe

The secret to understanding the bible is to pray for help from the holy spirit to understand. It sounds simplistic and naive, but it's true.

Then you study, study, study.

And yes, you can know you're saved. You know it when you ask Jesus into your heart and become committed to living your life for him.

About the rest...Satan and his angels KNOW Jesus and they're going to hell, so no, just believing won't get you to heaven.

I don't think we can judge whether members of t his denomination or that are truly saved. I don't think we know. Ultimately the saints will be the ones who judge...but first we'll be judged ourselves.

So I don't condemn members of other religions. There are certain aspects of certain denominations and cults that I know are wrong. But at the same time, I don't know the hearts of the men and women who belong in those congregations and I would never presume to tell them I know if they're really saved or not.

The only person who knows if you're saved is you and God, and really, it's nobody else's business.

If you want to be saved, you ask for salvation. It's that easy. You ask for the Holy Spirit to enter you and for CHrist to intercede for you at the throne.

It doesn't require committment at the time, other than you just ask for it.

BTW, there's a good movie (well, not well acted, but represents this well) with Kirk Cameron...I can't remember the name of it. He's a fireman. Anyway, it's about just that...someone who doesn't really believe going ahead and making a committment to pray for 40 days. It's a good show for someone interested in how being saved works in regular people.

What's it called? Sheesh, I can't remember.

Really bad acting, sorry, but it's a good story.

Can everyone who believes that Jesus' death on the cross paid in full the price for their own sins go to heaven?

Can people go to church, give lots of money, say all the right things, and still not truly believe, thus ruining their chances for heaven?

-Joe

Who knows? Man is a fairly self serving creature, and nowhere is this more the case than in the pettiness of the various Christian denominations.

All one can do is live one's life by trying to follow to rules that Christ provided and, when we fail, to genuinely regret our failings and ask forgiveness. After that, who knows? Nobody can see into the mind of God, or know for sure where he draws the line.

Thanks, Tiger.

Your answer is not exactly helpful to my overly analytical head, but it makes the most sense of any I've read so far...

What about Charlie's assertion that 'faith without works is dead'. Do you know how to tell if the works one does will satisfy God? Do you think a Christian can know that they're saved?

-Joe

Do I know? No, I don't, and I don't think anyone can really know. God judges not just words and deeds but also, and perhaps most importantly of all, what is in the heart.

Let's take an example of two men.

Man A is a nobody. He is not rich, or famous and has done nothing of great note with his life. Nobody pays much attention to what he says, he does not give regularly to charity and attends church only infrequently. But he is a good man; compassionate, caring and loved by all who know him. He will always help a friend and defend those who are unable to defend themselves. He knows he has done things in his life that he shouldn't, and he regrets it.

Man B is what used to be called a 'great man'. He is a success and has money, influence and power. He uses these for the good of others. He founds charitable institutions, hosts fundraisers and is known in his own country and around the world as one of the greatest philanthropists of his generation. He is also a pious man, a regular churchgoer and on the board of trustees of more that one religious institution. But in his heart he knows he achieved all he has at the expense of others. He does not feel bad about this, as it has given him the opportunity to do things that are universally recognized as positive, and good.

When each man dies, obituaries speak in the most glowing terms of Man B. His achievements are listed, his good works trumpeted, and the way in which he lived his life is felt by all to be above reproach. He will be remembered and used as an example of the right way to live one's life for over a century after his death.

There is nothing in the papers about Man A. He does not leave a great estate and is mourned only by a few. His legacy to the world dies the same day he does.

Both these men may get into heaven, or neither. Each of us will have our own views about which way the scales will tip, and for what reasons. The way in which we measure the 'value' of a life lived may be very different to the way it is measured by God. None of us knows for sure. Those of us that have faith really know only one thing - that we must do what we believe to be right, in the certainty that one day we will be called to account for it.

-Joe

John 3:16

-Joe

May I suggest a Quest Study Bible. It has really helped my understanding of the Bible.

Here it is at Amazon.com complete with user reviews, and a peek inside:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.html/ref=mp_s_a_1/178-7169915-0127238?qid=1240368221&a=0310928044&sr=8-1[/ame]

I think I paid $16 for my copy in hardback (like a school textbook). They offer them here a little cheaper than that:

http://www.google.com/products/cata...ml&cid=814033208403377844&sa=title#ps-sellers

EDIT - Also I found it useful to begin at Matthew and read thru John.

Last edited:
If you believe with all your heart, soul, body and mind, yes you can know. The question you will need to ask yourself is, "Can I believe and have that faith?"

That does not mean all the answers will come at one time. Something said today may not click/make sense to you for years to come.

-Joe

Really? Do you seriously want to discuss this or do you just want to make fun of people that have faith... as it seems you do?

If this is what I think it is I find it very disrespectful. You don't have to agree with other people but you don't have to make fun of them either.

Its not just faith, its also works, because faith without works is dead.

James 2:14 (King James Version) :: Forerunner Commentary :: Bible Tools

Listen to the message of Ephesians 2:8-9, “For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: NOT OF WORKS, lest any man should boast.” —salvation is not by merit.

“Knowing that a man is NOT JUSTIFIED BY THE WORKS OF THE LAW, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and NOT BY THE WORKS OF THE LAW: for BY THE WORKS OF THE LAW SHALL NO FLESH BE JUSTIFIED” (Galatians 2:16).

Smartt: As mentioned above, being born of the Spirit is what gives eternel life of salvation to the soul of man. That born again experience begins with faith. The faith that brings one into a real and personal, living and loving, walking and talking relationship with God in Christ.

That faith is a living faith, not a mental belief. It is a faith that produces the works that God has planned for man. It is a faith that creates change, for all things become new.

Whosoever has that faith will know it, because it will create new life which will prove to be abundant.

Very eloquent. :clap2:

It's not that we are saved through WORKS, because we are not...according to scripture.

Though, ''Faith'' without works, is dead, according to scripture as well.

From my own personal experience, my Faith came first, then my good works began to follow...I continued to sin in one manner or another...and when and if I did fall short, I felt like crap afterwards and honestly felt unworthy to be a recipient of the saving blood of Christ...yet I knew I would be forgiven...

this was an overwelming thought, i was just a sinner, yet I still could be welcomed in to an everlasting life or to see God? How could something so wonderful as this mercy and grace, be given to me? How could someone love me so much, to be willing to give this to me, right after I slapped Him in the face with my sins?

Well, this humbling of myself with this realization...is what lead me to WANT to be better and less sinful...one day at a time....thus the Good Works have followed....due to my Faith and belief that God gave His only son to be sacraficed for my sins, as the pure Lamb.

Well, this is probably all mumbo jumbo to those out there who are not Christian, and I realize such....

Joe,

I don't think those that have not become Christians will not be rewarded after death, with life...I think that they will be judged under the rules of the Law....by their works, and Christians will be judged by their beliefs/Faith and will be rewarded or not, for their deeds as well.

I believe that God knows all of us, starting from our inside, moving outwards...I believe that He knows all... I would NEVER PRESUME to know as much as Him or what His plan is for each and every soul being housed on Earth....

and just because you may not be a "believer" in Christ, does not mean you lack in morals or are a heathen as you made comment to above...I believe God seared right from wrong (the 10 commandments relating to right from wrong) in to our hearts or consciences, no matter what religion or non religion one may be! :D

And yes, I believe all of this, lock, stock, and barrel...but I also know that I do NOT know all and never will so I give unto God, what is His...

Care

Great post, Care.

Ahh.. I do so love denominational centrism.

It's a good thing none of you motherfucker are Pentecostal... Salvation isn't just a matter of acceptance and personal faith. Acts 2:38 motherfucker!

Acts 2:38 (King James Version)

38Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

If you don't speak in tongues as evidence of the gift of the holy ghost then TOO FUCKING BAD! Better luck next time! That is, unless the loward comes before your writhing produces salvation....

Last edited:

New Topics

Forum List

Back