Is Evangelicalism Now Just Right-Wing Politics in Religious Garb?

Windparadox

Gold Member
May 3, 2017
Northern WI.
`
"Neil J. Young just splashed a lot of cold water on you.In a piece called “Time to Face Facts: White Evangelicalism Has Always Been Right Wing,” he takes on Richard Mouw’s proclamation that, ““Despite Trumpism, I’m not quitting evangelicalism.” Mouw, former president of Fuller Seminary, has been one of those alternative voices within evangelicalism — calling for a moderate style of irenic, ecumenical, and socially conscious evangelicalism.

Evangelicals like Mouw have stayed in the institutions of evangelicalism, trying to be seasoning voices from within, and working to complexify the definition of an “evangelical.”

Recently, Russell Moore has played a similar role within the (mainly fundamentalist, now) Southern Baptist Convention. His very public criticisms of Donald Trump, his advocacy for racial justice, and his insistence that freedom of religion counts for Muslims, too, are putting him at odds now with many of his own Southern Baptist constituents, some of whom are threatening to withdraw their support from the ethics and policy agency he leads. But, at least on my very casual social media observations, I’m guessing a number of younger Southern Baptist leaders look more to Moore for ideological leadership, than to Robert Jeffress, Jack Graham, and the like. But for those younger, perhaps more socially-conscious conservatives, the numbers may not work in their favor." - Source
`
`

Critique - In this article by Kyle Roberts, in so many words, he explains the growing schism within the Evangelical ranks in regards to the political direction his faith has taken....and he is breaking from that. It highlights the discontent a growing number Evangelicals feel is taking place. It's a good insight into something I just never thought about.
`

Evangelicals are more concerned with what happens in a hypothetical afterlife, than with what is real and actually happen now in the world. That's why their politics are so dangerous. If the likes of Mike Pence thinks that sending soldiers to die, or controlling people’s bedrooms, or attacking people that are not white evangelicals will secure him a good position in the afterlife, he’ll do it. If someone convinces him that strapping on a suicide vest and blowing himself up will get him a sweet deal in the afterlife, he’ll do it.

`
"Neil J. Young just splashed a lot of cold water on you.In a piece called “Time to Face Facts: White Evangelicalism Has Always Been Right Wing,” he takes on Richard Mouw’s proclamation that, ““Despite Trumpism, I’m not quitting evangelicalism.” Mouw, former president of Fuller Seminary, has been one of those alternative voices within evangelicalism — calling for a moderate style of irenic, ecumenical, and socially conscious evangelicalism.

Evangelicals like Mouw have stayed in the institutions of evangelicalism, trying to be seasoning voices from within, and working to complexify the definition of an “evangelical.”

Recently, Russell Moore has played a similar role within the (mainly fundamentalist, now) Southern Baptist Convention. His very public criticisms of Donald Trump, his advocacy for racial justice, and his insistence that freedom of religion counts for Muslims, too, are putting him at odds now with many of his own Southern Baptist constituents, some of whom are threatening to withdraw their support from the ethics and policy agency he leads. But, at least on my very casual social media observations, I’m guessing a number of younger Southern Baptist leaders look more to Moore for ideological leadership, than to Robert Jeffress, Jack Graham, and the like. But for those younger, perhaps more socially-conscious conservatives, the numbers may not work in their favor." - Source
`
`

Critique - In this article by Kyle Roberts, in so many words, he explains the growing schism within the Evangelical ranks in regards to the political direction his faith has taken....and he is breaking from that. It highlights the discontent a growing number Evangelicals feel is taking place. It's a good insight into something I just never thought about.
`

Conservative Christians tend not to see a separation between religion and government, at least not between THEIR religion and government,

so it follows that they would be as much a political movement as a religious one.

Evangelicals are more concerned with what happens in a hypothetical afterlife, than with what is real and actually happen now in the world. That's why their politics are so dangerous. If the likes of Mike Pence thinks that sending soldiers to die, or controlling people’s bedrooms, or attacking people that are not white evangelicals will secure him a good position in the afterlife, he’ll do it. If someone convinces him that strapping on a suicide vest and blowing himself up will get him a sweet deal in the afterlife, he’ll do it.
`
`

Perhaps. As I see it, evangelicals are deep into eschatology, or "End Times", meaning the end of the world. Their theology is based on "Dispensationalism" which gives rise to the belief of "rapture." Gods chosen few will be saved and float into heaven or something like that. It is based on the "Book of Revelations" which foretells of final days of humans on earth, aka; the Apocalypse. Many evangelicals think we are living in the final days and Israel plays a big part in it, which is why trump recently recognized Jerusalem as the capitol and why the US is fighting their wars.

These are dangerous people.
`

Forum List

Back