Is Emotional Intelligence more important than IQ intelligence.

Why don't you define Emotional Intelligence for us, Ian?

:eusa_whistle:

That's what I'm thinking. I've a fairly high IQ, but think often my 'emotions' get ahead of it. Thus can have both.

Are we looking at someone with great interpersonal skills, as the definition of emotional IQ?

I could be wrong, but I think his whole point is that Emotional Intelligence is a made up, intentionally nebulous concept advanced to undermine IQ data that has been collected over the years. If you cannot define it for yourself, then you are implicitly agreeing with him that it's less meaningful

why don't you attempt a definition of your use of Emotional Intelligence (which you brought up) and then I will give mine. we'll see who is more astute and informative.

Sorry, YOUR Thread, YOUR Definition.

Besides, now I'm seriously wondering if I made your test to hard.

Let's try again:

What is more emotionally intelligent?:
A. Dog
B. Rock

a rock....there is no envy or greed and a rock is just fine with being a rock and doing what rocks do.....people could learn a lot from rocks.....

You've seen greedy and envious dogs?

Dogs will beg if they're hungery, but I don't get the impression they're envious.

Why don't you define Emotional Intelligence for us, Ian?

:eusa_whistle:

That's what I'm thinking. I've a fairly high IQ, but think often my 'emotions' get ahead of it. Thus can have both.

Are we looking at someone with great interpersonal skills, as the definition of emotional IQ?

I could be wrong, but I think his whole point is that Emotional Intelligence is a made up, intentionally nebulous concept advanced to undermine IQ data that has been collected over the years. If you cannot define it for yourself, then you are implicitly agreeing with him that it's less meaningful

Adelaide Research and Scholarship: Are the claims for emotional intelligence justified ? Emotional intelligence predicts life skills, but not as well as personality and cognitive abilities

Fitting theoretical expectations, in both studies EI was low - to - moderately correlated with higher life satisfaction, problem and emotion focused coping and perceived problem solving ability and with lower avoidance coping and anxiety. However, the correlations for academic achievement were not significant. These correlations were found to be higher for self - report EI than they were ability EI, perhaps due to method variance with the life skills. Nevertheless, despite these low - to - moderate correlations, hierarchical regression analyses controlling for personality and cognitive abilities revealed that the incremental predictive validity of EI was 7 % at most. This finding was found for all life skills regardless of the EI measure involved. This raises some implications for the field of EI and highlights that personality and cognitive abilities should be taken into account when making assertions about EI ' s predictive power.

:eusa_hand:

Do you think Ian is going to be able to understand this abstract from a Doctoral Thesis?

He isn't even able to tell if a Rock has more EI than a Dog.

Anyway, I appreciate the link.

Last edited:
IQ and EI are pobabaly equally important. A high IQ with little or no EI normally ends up in some sort of institution. A high EI and little or no IQ also normally ends up in an institution. They are like a sword and shield. You can go to battle with either one; but you're more apt to come home alive if you take both.

now that most of us have opined that both IQ and EI are important, how many of you think it is a zero sum game? do you think those who have high IQ are deficient in EI? are there some of you that think the levels of both are not correlated with each other?

and how many of you believe that EI is positively correlated to IQ, like so many other social traits?

would you rather work with a smart person with a bad attitude or a smart person with a good attitude......

i can't teach attitude but i can teach you how to do your job....

when in doubt hire attitude....

I've seen the other side of that too, and it's no prettier.

Sometimes they're still too dumb to learn the job. In which case the good attitude only makes it harder to cut them loose.

now that most of us have opined that both IQ and EI are important, how many of you think it is a zero sum game? do you think those who have high IQ are deficient in EI? are there some of you that think the levels of both are not correlated with each other?

and how many of you believe that EI is positively correlated to IQ, like so many other social traits?

I've pretty much given up wondering if you would even know what EI is even if you were given a pointed hat, sat in the corner, and asked to sing "Old McDonald Had A Farm."

EI, EI, OOOOOOOOOh!

"Zero Sum" indeed. Ian, despite however much you yearn to divide each human into a vessel with a certain capacity, like some sort of Dixie Cup used to contain Pabst Blue Ribbon, we can have more than the average EI AND More than the average IQ

But there do seem to be others in the thread that get it, so I'll not feel its a total waste of time continuing the discussion.

First, everyone has SOME EI and IQ. Yes, I know there is probably an exception somewhere, at sometime, but these are pretty far and few between.....

Side Note: I wonder if Jesus (regardless of his status in The Kingdom of Heaven) had EI rather than IQ? Obviously, we'll never know for sure, but I suspect that since he's not very well known for solving Triple Integrals).

But I digress. Back on Topic:

Second: There are some jobs designed for people with higher EI and with higher IQ. For example; I'm certain that when you were lobotimized, you were more concerned about the surgeon having a higher IQ than a higher ability to empathise with your condition before, during, or after the surgery. If he wasn't able to cut in a straight line, it wouldn't have mattered if he was sorry for you afterward.

However, the nurses that cared for you after the surgery would be people with whom you'd like to have a higher EI. You'd want someone who could sense whether or not your bedpan was full BEFORE you had to tell them.

Third: People with higher IQ DO NOT WANT higher EI jobs, and vice versa.

Forth: The BEST scenario is to be BOTH High IQ and High EI. This is what employers today are seeking; Guys and Gals that go to school to be highly competent in a narrow field of expertise (High IQ), but have the potential to also be good managers (high EI). Their resume will tell employers if they've gone to school and if they've made good grades. The INTERVIEW, will tell them if they're "likeable," .........

which, my dear fellow, is all there is to EI.

Last edited:
"Zero Sum" indeed. Ian, despite however much you yearn to divide each human into a vessel with a certain capacity, like some sort of Dixie Cup used to contain Pabst Blue Ribbon, we can have more than the average EI AND More than the average IQ

the reason I gave that option to consider is because so many people bring it up in discussions of AA admits to Universities. when confronted with obvious and very large qualification gaps many AA supporters say that different qualities are being taken into account, as if somehow having low SATs means that the person must have some other attribute that the high SAT student doesn't have. in objective comparisons those different qualities don't appear to be leadership, outside talents or outside sports so I thought perhaps it might be the ephemeral EI that was being considered.

Emotional intelligence is like being operated on by a surgeon and you do not ask them how many times they have done this successfully, instead you give them a Hallmark card and ask them how does it make them feel, do they feel for your pain?

I re-read your last post Sampson--

you give the example of a doctor as highIQ/lowEI, an LPN(nurse) as lowIQ/highEI and then say that all businesses want highIQ/highEI where they demand proof of highIQ and just need an interview for 'likability'/EI. then you say that's all there is to EI.

by your definition and standards it would appear that society values highIQ much more than EI.

you give the example of a doctor as highIQ/lowEI, an LPN(nurse) as lowIQ/highEI and then say that all businesses want highIQ/highEI where they demand proof of highIQ and just need an interview for 'likability'/EI. then you say that's all there is to EI.

by your definition and standards it would appear that society values highIQ much more than EI.

Yes, I agree, society does value IQ more than EI. Doctors get paid more than nurses, and since we are, thankfully, IMHO, a capitalist society, then this is a measure of our society's values.

But then everyone remembers their favorite teacher....how likeable they were....how underpaid they think they are....BLAH, BLAH, BLAH.....the fact is, they don't get $hit dollars in return for their higher EI than IQ.

Teachers, Priests, Charity Workers, Stay-At-Home Moms...=...worthless fucks, right Ian?

Yes, I agree, society does value IQ more than EI. Doctors get paid more than nurses, and since we are, thankfully, IMHO, a capitalist society, then this is a measure of our society's values.

But then everyone remembers their favorite teacher....how likeable they were....how underpaid they think they are....BLAH, BLAH, BLAH.....the fact is, they don't get $hit dollars in return for their higher EI than IQ.

Teachers, Priests, Charity Workers, Stay-At-Home Moms...=...worthless fucks, right Ian?

you're changing your tune again. first you said -
Life has little or nothing to do with IQ.

Life has everything to do with Emotional Intelligence.

You should ponder on these statements. I hope you accept them as valid, and try to shift your emphasis, because it will make your life much happier.

then you said-
Third: People with higher IQ DO NOT WANT higher EI jobs, and vice versa.

Forth: The BEST scenario is to be BOTH High IQ and High EI. This is what employers today are seeking; Guys and Gals that go to school to be highly competent in a narrow field of expertise (High IQ), but have the potential to also be good managers (high EI). Their resume will tell employers if they've gone to school and if they've made good grades. The INTERVIEW, will tell them if they're "likeable," .........

which, my dear fellow, is all there is to EI.

now you said-

surely you can see why it is difficult to converse with you. your views are sophmoric and mercurial. and yet you seem to think that you understand my views, and miraculously also my intentions, agendas, my affiliations, etc. you should try to grow up and act civilized.

those words are yours, and yours alone.

the words that I agreed with in this thread were

IanC
Member #21028 Join Date: Sep 2009

Quote: Originally Posted by chanel
Yes. Just look at the people you know socially. Eggheads may make more money, but are they "successful" at personal relationships? It all depends on how you measure "success". For me it means making a comfortable living doing what you enjoy (or at least don't hate) and having a loving family and friends. A zillion dollars can't buy that.
I definitely concur.

I can't fathom your thinking. how on earth did you transition that sentiment into the first quote? obviously there is a serious disconnect between you and reality.

Forum List

Back