Is Emotional Intelligence more important than IQ intelligence.

IanC

Gold Member
Sep 22, 2009
someone told me tha EI was a bigger factor in life and success than IQ.

does anyone agree with that?

what do you think is the most important aspect in becoming successful?

Yes. Just look at the people you know socially. Eggheads may make more money, but are they "successful" at personal relationships? It all depends on how you measure "success". For me it means making a comfortable living doing what you enjoy (or at least don't hate) and having a loving family and friends. A zillion dollars can't buy that.

Yes. Just look at the people you know socially. Eggheads may make more money, but are they "successful" at personal relationships? It all depends on how you measure "success". For me it means making a comfortable living doing what you enjoy (or at least don't hate) and having a loving family and friends. A zillion dollars can't buy that.

I definitely concur.

I disagree and I agree. It depends on what specific intelligence a situation is demanding at any given moment. There are situatiosn where either of the two are if not irrelevant they are inconsequential.

Define successful.

middle class values? so in your opinion, without a comfortable living (money) one cannot be successful?

middle class values? so in your opinion, without a comfortable living (money) one cannot be successful?

interesting take.

does anyone remember the board game called Careers? at the beginning of the game you decide how much (love), (fame) and (money) constitutes success and the first one to achieve it wins. I guess everyone decides what success means to themselves

Why don't you define Emotional Intelligence for us, Ian?

:eusa_whistle:

I can't. I don't even remember who brought it up. what do you think it means?

IT means you are an idiot. :cool:

gratuitous insults already? certain things are more easily defined than others.

Emotional intelligence
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Emotional Intelligence (EI) describes the ability, capacity, skill or, in the case of the trait EI model, a self-perceived ability, to identify, assess, and manage the emotions of one's self, of others, and of groups.[1] Different models have been proposed for the definition of EI and disagreement exists as to how the term should be used.[2] Despite these disagreements, which are often highly technical, the ability EI and trait EI models (but not the mixed models) enjoy support in the literature and have successful applications in different domains.
Emotional intelligence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

is that good enough?

is that good enough?

No.

I was really hoping you wouldn't need to look it up, but if you did, that you certainly wouldn't choose a wikipedia definition.

Basically, wikipedia definitions suck. Many, like this one, seem to have been written by 7th graders.

All I got out of it was "Emotional Intelligence= Intellectual ability that is Emotional." WTF am I supposed to get from this?

Just fucking define it in your own damn words.....you can do this, right?

Figuring out how to define "success".

did you actually look at the wiki definition? it does a good job of hitting all the points, including how it is very difficult to define.

I think most people understand that there is a difference between emotions and intelligence. which do you think is more important? I think that without intelligence control of emotion doesn't amount to much and intelligence can be derailed by crazy emotions.

Figuring out how to define "success".

personally I agree with Chanel. good family, OK job and enough money, hobbies, and being helpful and recognized in your community. others might say it takes a very strong ability in just one field. pick any definition you choose.

Desire is the most important aspect in becoming successful. If you want to be successful, and you're willing to work hard to become successful, you will find a way to get ahead. That worked well for me.

Desire is the most important aspect in becoming successful. If you want to be successful, and you're willing to work hard to become successful, you will find a way to get ahead. That worked well for me.

desire is good, contientiousness is also important. but without a good measure of intelligence those things may not be good enough

I think that without intelligence control of emotion doesn't amount to much and intelligence can be derailed by crazy emotions.

Is this supposed to be your definition of emotional intelligence???

I'm disappointed, Ian.

Ok, I'll may it easy for you.

Which is more Emotionally Intelligent?:
A. Dog,
B. Rock,
C. Paper,
D. Scissors,
E. All the Above

Forum List

Back