Is education a right or a privilege?

Is education a right or a privilege?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yet employers haven't a clue.
Not so sure about that. I posted awhile back about conversation with daught-in-law and the bank situation, they want all people with engineering degree. It appears they think they can overcome tat stupid margin by getting engineers. Not true. I've dealt with a lot of engineers over the years. Not always the brightest in the lot when it comes to common sense.

Saying educated people don't have common sense is one of the ways Republicans justify their anti education stance. It's not quantifiable. It's merely a stupid accusation without any merit at all.

Look at Republicans now. They fight for Health Care CEOs to make tens of millions of dollars in salary they only get by "skimming" the policies of working people. Does that sound remotely like "common sense"?

A lot of engineers are out of work right now because companies have moved over seas. There they can pay workers a fraction of what they pay here and don't have to pay any health care at all.

Too late those companies realize that they can't sell their goods here because people don't have jobs and they can't sell them there because they don't make enough to afford them.

Bug off, redean. I am Republican. I do not agree with Blue Cross/ Blue Shield asshole CEO's having the ability to screw over their insureds in any manner. You have a hell of a lot more sold out, bought-off pricks in the Democratic party that assist these corporate thieves. Don't act all indignant when I tell you that you are a stupid little prick for going along with your partisan crap. You have no clue what your party currently stands for. In Iowa it is all Dem run. They went above and beyond legal means here to steal a mining operation from me because I would not sell out to corporate thugs. The Dems here were to busy sucking up to Wells Fargo for that new arena in Des Moines to prosecute the bastards for admitted fraud. It was much easier for them to have their Dem sheriff steal both my husband's equipment, raid our home and his shop and now they are getting ready to finish that off with an erroneous transfer of our house and shop. See here is the way it is with your party, "if you won't sell out we will take you out. While we are doing that to you and we are committing illegal acts we will threaten you with arrest if you protest our illegal actions against you." That is your Democratic party asshole, live with it!

K- 12 is neiither a right nor a privilege. It is a necessity, a requirement and an obligation. Uneducated, illiterate citizens do not a strong Republic make.
Higher education needs to be more diversified and the paid apprenticeship brought back in many fields, not just within certain unions. A four-year degree is nice to have but very expensive, and overkill for many of the service and technical jobs available.

K- 12 is neiither a right nor a privilege. It is a necessity, a requirement and an obligation. Uneducated, illiterate citizens do not a strong Republic make.
Higher education needs to be more diversified and the paid apprenticeship brought back in many fields, not just within certain unions. A four-year degree is nice to have but very expensive, and overkill for many of the service and technical jobs available.

So, were you out protesting the return of civics to the classroom? If so, all history teachers thank you. You do realize they are working at removing civics from standardized testing? The better to get ignorant cows.

Stupid leading question, intended to draw out as many intellectually arrested "either/or" arguments as possible.

Saying it is a right is a cheap way of shirking the costs off onto others, to pay for educating your children or those of others.

"Everyone benefits form an educated population" is an empty headed platitude that proves no point in any case.

A fed population benefits everyone too, and I haven't heard of anyone demanding that groceries be free to all who come to get them.

As a public high school teacher I can assure you that the goal of my high school is lomger "education." Food, shelter, and keeping criminals off the streets is the number one priority.Soon it will be providing health care. If the students learn something too that's gravy.

Dude is right. Its a dumb question. Compulsory education is the law and one public institution that the country values despite the criticism.

Stupid leading question, intended to draw out as many intellectually arrested "either/or" arguments as possible.

Saying it is a right is a cheap way of shirking the costs off onto others, to pay for educating your children or those of others.

"Everyone benefits form an educated population" is an empty headed platitude that proves no point in any case.
A fed population benefits everyone too, and I haven't heard of anyone demanding that groceries be free to all who come to get them.

An ignorant population is dangerous. They are easily frightened and easily led. Take the Republican party for instance. Perfect example. Death camps. Re-education. Unplug Grandma. Who could believe that crap. Oh, that's right. Republicans.

Notice that when there is a revolution, the first people to go are the educated? Can anyone think of why that is? Because they are threatening. They know the truth. They are not so easily misled.

As a public high school teacher I can assure you that the goal of my high school is lomger "education." Food, shelter, and keeping criminals off the streets is the number one priority.Soon it will be providing health care. If the students learn something too that's gravy.

Dude is right. Its a dumb question. Compulsory education is the law and one public institution that the country values despite the criticism.

Food?
Shelter?
Keeping criminals off the street?

Food, I can understand. For many poor children, lunch may be the only real meal they have all day.

Keeping criminals off the street? You think of your students as "criminals"? Perhaps you need to take a break from "teaching". If you think of your students as dangerous criminals, they probably feel it. I imagine something like that is difficult to hide. It certainly doesn't inspire a "learning environment".

You just summed up the error in public education.

Not so sure about that. I posted awhile back about conversation with daught-in-law and the bank situation, they want all people with engineering degree. It appears they think they can overcome tat stupid margin by getting engineers. Not true. I've dealt with a lot of engineers over the years. Not always the brightest in the lot when it comes to common sense.

Saying educated people don't have common sense is one of the ways Republicans justify their anti education stance. It's not quantifiable. It's merely a stupid accusation without any merit at all.

Look at Republicans now. They fight for Health Care CEOs to make tens of millions of dollars in salary they only get by "skimming" the policies of working people. Does that sound remotely like "common sense"?

A lot of engineers are out of work right now because companies have moved over seas. There they can pay workers a fraction of what they pay here and don't have to pay any health care at all.

Too late those companies realize that they can't sell their goods here because people don't have jobs and they can't sell them there because they don't make enough to afford them.

Bug off, redean. I am Republican. I do not agree with Blue Cross/ Blue Shield asshole CEO's having the ability to screw over their insureds in any manner. You have a hell of a lot more sold out, bought-off pricks in the Democratic party that assist these corporate thieves. Don't act all indignant when I tell you that you are a stupid little prick for going along with your partisan crap. You have no clue what your party currently stands for. In Iowa it is all Dem run. They went above and beyond legal means here to steal a mining operation from me because I would not sell out to corporate thugs. The Dems here were to busy sucking up to Wells Fargo for that new arena in Des Moines to prosecute the bastards for admitted fraud. It was much easier for them to have their Dem sheriff steal both my husband's equipment, raid our home and his shop and now they are getting ready to finish that off with an erroneous transfer of our house and shop. See here is the way it is with your party, "if you won't sell out we will take you out. While we are doing that to you and we are committing illegal acts we will threaten you with arrest if you protest our illegal actions against you." That is your Democratic party asshole, live with it!

So all the Democratic citizens and some Republican citizens that put this scum in to power, KNOW WHAT THEY HAVE DONE, and still would vote for them again? I find that hard to believe Rodi...that every day citizen Democrats want crooks in office....and this may not be what you are saying, but the conclusion could be read in to it?

I agree there are some very rotten apples in politics, however i do not for one nano second believe that one party or the other are exempt from such!

(Oh, and who you need to contact is the Office of the State Audit, or The State Auditor's Office...they handle whistle Blowers and also these type of things that you are going through.)

Care

The Constitution does not grant rights. It restricts the government so that we can live our lives in freedom.

So, unless someone wants to make the argument that education is a natural law right, education isn't a right.

I refer to my students that are criminals as criminals Is that too harsh? Should I call them misguided mistake makers who happened to break the law? In NJ, most juvenile (and sometimes adult) offenders are "sentenced" to finish school as terms of their probation. We have a probation officer on site. Sorry if the truth is offensive.

The goal of a NJ public education is a diploma. Not an education. Hopefully its not that way in other states but NJ is supposed to be a model for the entire US We have the highest graduation rate. Unfortunately the piece of paper means nothing. Sad for the ones that actually work for it.

The Constitution does not grant rights. It restricts the government so that we can live our lives in freedom.

So, unless someone wants to make the argument that education is a natural law right, education isn't a right.

What is a natural law right?

Actually, the most conservative Supreme Court in years said it was ok for cities to confiscate property by a 5 to 4 decision.

Kelo v. City of New London - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I happen to believe they were wrong, but I also believe it's destructive to teach mysticism and the occult to young children so what do I know?

I love Bible quotes. I like the ones where Jesus tells you to be a good slave. The following is a good one.

If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her.

Deuteronomy 22 (Blue Letter Bible: NLT - New Living Translation)

For someone who spews Bible quotes, you sure do have a potty mouth.

So, were you out protesting the return of civics to the classroom? If so, all history teachers thank you. You do realize they are working at removing civics from standardized testing? The better to get ignorant cows.

If you ask me, we need more civics in the classroom. And less stupid standardized testing.

I am no constitutional scholar by any means but isn't education the reponsibility of the states who have their own constitutions?. In NJ EVERY child until the age of 19 (21 if classified) is GUARANTEED a free and appropriate education. The NJ Supreme Court has ruled that includes rapists child molesters and murderers. We have no expulsion. Zero tolerance for guns means a one year suspension in an alternative program paid for by the local taxpayers.

Coming soon to a school near you.

I am no constitutional scholar by any means but isn't education the reponsibility of the states who have their own constitutions?. In NJ EVERY child until the age of 19 (21 if classified) is GUARANTEED a free and appropriate education. The NJ Supreme Court has ruled that includes rapists child molesters and murderers. We have no expulsion. Zero tolerance for guns means a one year suspension in an alternative program paid for by the local taxpayers.

Coming soon to a school near you.

I believe education on a government level is for the respective states, and not the federal government. I agree with you on that constitutional point.

Forum List

Back