Is education a right or a privilege?

Is education a right or a privilege?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I agree with the 'right' to high school graduation, 18 or 19, whichever comes first. College? Nope, not a right. Can anyone with developed necessary skills earn a bachelor's or higher? Yes.

Education from grades K-12 are a right. Nobody has the right to a college. For that, you have to work hard between K-12 in the first place or have rich parents. :eusa_eh:

Education from grades K-12 are a right. Nobody has the right to a college. For that, you have to work hard between K-12 in the first place or have rich parents. :eusa_eh:

The fact that 'rich parents' can get imbeciles through is the reason that universities are not held in the esteem they once were. One thing to 'get in' another to graduate. See Teddy Kennedy, he had some problems with the graduation part, they buckled down.

The fact that 'rich parents' can get imbeciles through is the reason that universities are not held in the esteem they once were. One thing to 'get in' another to graduate. See Teddy Kennedy, he had some problems with the graduation part, they buckled down.

That is true for the most part I suppose. (the 2nd part of your post). I entirely agree with the 1st part.

So true. I have a dear friend who is now retired but was a district judge. i asked him once, "what do you think is wrong with our judicial system". He said in his opinion it was the lowered standards at the colleges for people to get into law school. Then he went into detail for me. I think that could apply throughout the professions at this point.

I agree with the 'right' to high school graduation, 18 or 19, whichever comes first. College? Nope, not a right. Can anyone with developed necessary skills earn a bachelor's or higher? Yes.

However, I think that anyone who want to go to college and can get in based on admission criteria should be given the opportunity. This can be achieved through various means of financial aid, such as grants, scholarships, and loans.

So true. I have a dear friend who is now retired but was a district judge. i asked him once, "what do you think is wrong with our judicial system". He said in his opinion it was the lowered standards at the colleges for people to get into law school. Then he went into detail for me. I think that could apply throughout the professions at this point.

I'd have to agree. While my first undergrad degrees were from 'prestigious universities' in the 70's, my third BA was from a very good liberal arts college by US News and World Report rankings. It was nearly 20 years later than first go round, and I was appalled at the level of writing, not to mention logic that was worthy of an 'A' or even a 'B'. That my 'A' was equal to others? Sham. Yet employers haven't a clue.

Education is a necessity.

If this country is going to continue to prosper, education is the key.

As soon as you bring up education, you can't help but bringing up Republicans and no matter what you say, they feel they are being "trashed". The states where Republicans still have power is where you are seeing funding for education slashed.

Arizona just cut $1.5 billion from their schools system.

In Pennsylvania, Republican 2009 to 2010 budget slashes education back to pre 2005 levels.

When Republicans took control of the legislature in Texas, the first thing they did was cut funding for education by 3 billion dollars.

What's worse is the introduction of mysticism into public schools. A double whammy.

In science, there is no "controversy". American Christians and Muslims believe were were magically shimmered into be from dirt. No controversy there.

Scientists say we are evolved from lower forms of life. No controversy there.

The controversy is when Republicans want to push mysticism into public schools. Let them learn that stuff at church or home school them. Then you only hamstring your own children.

Republicans scream for jobs. Without manufacturing and industry, there are no jobs. Technical jobs take education. Republicans don't see the need for education. They can't seem to see the vicious circle they create.

Yet employers haven't a clue.
Not so sure about that. I posted awhile back about conversation with daught-in-law and the bank situation, they want all people with engineering degree. It appears they think they can overcome tat stupid margin by getting engineers. Not true. I've dealt with a lot of engineers over the years. Not always the brightest in the lot when it comes to common sense.

Yet employers haven't a clue.
Not so sure about that. I posted awhile back about conversation with daught-in-law and the bank situation, they want all people with engineering degree. It appears they think they can overcome tat stupid margin by getting engineers. Not true. I've dealt with a lot of engineers over the years. Not always the brightest in the lot when it comes to common sense.

Saying educated people don't have common sense is one of the ways Republicans justify their anti education stance. It's not quantifiable. It's merely a stupid accusation without any merit at all.

Look at Republicans now. They fight for Health Care CEOs to make tens of millions of dollars in salary they only get by "skimming" the policies of working people. Does that sound remotely like "common sense"?

A lot of engineers are out of work right now because companies have moved over seas. There they can pay workers a fraction of what they pay here and don't have to pay any health care at all.

Too late those companies realize that they can't sell their goods here because people don't have jobs and they can't sell them there because they don't make enough to afford them.

Education is a necessity.

If this country is going to continue to prosper, education is the key.

As soon as you bring up education, you can't help but bringing up Republicans and no matter what you say, they feel they are being "trashed". The states where Republicans still have power is where you are seeing funding for education slashed.

Arizona just cut $1.5 billion from their schools system.

In Pennsylvania, Republican 2009 to 2010 budget slashes education back to pre 2005 levels.

When Republicans took control of the legislature in Texas, the first thing they did was cut funding for education by 3 billion dollars.

What's worse is the introduction of mysticism into public schools. A double whammy.

In science, there is no "controversy". American Christians and Muslims believe were were magically shimmered into be from dirt. No controversy there.

Scientists say we are evolved from lower forms of life. No controversy there.

The controversy is when Republicans want to push mysticism into public schools. Let them learn that stuff at church or home school them. Then you only hamstring your own children.

Republicans scream for jobs. Without manufacturing and industry, there are no jobs. Technical jobs take education. Republicans don't see the need for education. They can't seem to see the vicious circle they create.
Mixing topics here. I'll deal with funding:

http://www.business.ku.edu/_FileLibrary/PageFile/1041/TR08-1205--EducationSpending_Neymotin.pdf

School Spending: Is There a Relationship between Spending and Student Achievement? A Correlation Study of Illinois Schools.

Does Spending More on Education Improve Academic Achievement?

Both Kerry and Bush the Younger had their problems at Yale, then buckled down. And, interestingly, GWB had a GPA a couple hundredths of a point better than JK.

Forum List

Back